Another "Should I change now?" long trip question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change it, and use MC 5w30, or any synthetic 5w30 on sale. The oil has already been in there 9 months. Remember, the factory recommends a time interval as well.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
someone said ford reccomends 5w30/10w30......what?

I said that. Do you have some problem with that? As most on bitog know, that is almost the only engine Ford did not recommend to retroactively changed over to 5W20. The only other exception might be that very high performance V8 they recommend 5W50 for.

Once again, I will say that as a naturally anal accountant, I would change it.
However, you are using a long drain Euro spec oil, intended to go at least 2X your current mileage in engines with far greater specific outputs than your's.
You could continue on the oil for your trip and I have no doubt that the engine would be perfectly happy.
Also, again, a long trip is not taxing to the oil at all.

I don't know the maint history of you engine, but if well cared for, this oil will serve you well. I believe it has a starting TBN of something over 11. This engine and oil combo will do 10K without a problem.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
No Brainer, change the oil and filter, and don't cheap out, put a fresh air filter as well
19.gif

+1 and i would put some techron in before the trip
when was the last time you changed your rear diff fluid or trans fluid? i would also look over the belts and hoses
happy holidays
48.gif

Screw it. Change the oil. Use something cheap that'll get the job done (PYB? Valvoline Conventional?)

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
get it done with and change it

the trip would actually be a good time to do a dino + MMO run

The OP is using a premium syn oil. What advantage would he get by doing what you recommend?

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: Malo83
No Brainer, change the oil and filter, and don't cheap out, put a fresh air filter as well
19.gif

+1 and i would put some techron in before the trip
when was the last time you changed your rear diff fluid or trans fluid? i would also look over the belts and hoses
happy holidays
48.gif

I changed the front and rear diff fluid, the transfer case fluid an coolant this summer. The brake fluid was changed last winter.

12 say change it now and 6 say keep it in!

I did change the oil. We put about 2300 miles on the Explorer. Kept the speedometer at 75 mph for almost the whole way. Engine was running at about 2300 rpm. Looks like the oil level may have dropped 1/16", if that much. Overall, a very uneventful trip. I'm looking forward to 2011.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf

I'm using Mobil 1 0W40 and Mobil 1 Oil Filters.

Irrelevant to Oldwolf now, but think about this:

MC 5000 = 5000 miles in normal use,
MC 7500 = 7500 miles
Mobil 1 = (in Oldwolfs car)
Mobil 1 EP = 15,000 miles

You could easily see the M1 will do 10,000, given its place in the Mobil line up. Oldwolf would have had 9000 after the trip. I would have definitely left it in, and enjoyed a fresh fill after arriving home.

Probably you are correct. The oil was changed 3/2010, more than 9 months old, felt better changing it, but likely didn't need too.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf

I'm using Mobil 1 0W40 and Mobil 1 Oil Filters.

Irrelevant to Oldwolf now, but think about this:

MC 5000 = 5000 miles in normal use,
MC 7500 = 7500 miles
Mobil 1 = (in Oldwolfs car)
Mobil 1 EP = 15,000 miles

You could easily see the M1 will do 10,000, given its place in the Mobil line up. Oldwolf would have had 9000 after the trip. I would have definitely left it in, and enjoyed a fresh fill after arriving home.

I Like this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back