Another "Should I change now?" long trip question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my V6 Explorer 3/2010, now has 6500 miles on the change. I'll be putting 2500 miles on the vehicle over Christmas, should I change it before I go, or wait until I get back?

That will be 9000 miles on the 0w40, too much? Probably 50% highway and 50% city driving on this change, oil is pretty dark.

Ford recommends 5k OCI's.

I'm using Mobil 1 0W40 and Mobil 1 Oil Filters.

Thanks!

Have you ever ran a UOA on this vehicle? or looked at any with the same oil combo mileage?

any oil consumption?

I think it sounds like you maintain your car well. Personally, I think it doesn't matter either way.

The only advantage I really see is that if you do it when you get home, your new oil fill won't have the miles added on so early. Might want to take advantage of the oil still in the sump right now for this trip, but just my two cents.

That oil is a really good product. Of course, it's hard to say for certain without an analysis, but I'm sure another 2,500 miles on this change won't matter either way.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Changed the oil in my V6 Explorer 3/2010, now has 6500 miles on the change. I'll be putting 2500 miles on the vehicle over Christmas, should I change it before I go, or wait until I get back?

That will be 9000 miles on the 0w40, too much? Probably 50% highway and 50% city driving on this change, oil is pretty dark.

Thanks!
Well I'll start off with does Ford recommend syn oil?. Then I'll ask why are you running syn oil? For the belief that it gives you better mpgs. Makes you engine last longer? Better flow in below 0*f starts. Keeps your engine cleaner? Why then do you not believe that it lasts longer? The oil will last, do a uoa when you come back to prove it. There is no need to run syn oil for 5,000 mile oil change intervals unless the manufacture recommends syn oil for 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

I would change it and check everything else before the trip. No reason to worry about it all 2500 miles and end up at a quicky lube on Christmas Eve.

Ford recommends 5W or 10W30 oil in that vehicle at 5,000 mile intervals. You are using oil, 0W40, that is recommended as a long life oil in such vehicles as Mercedes and BMW. I would, without hesitation, use it for at least 10,000 miles. A one time UOA at 10,000 miles would be very interesting.

Originally Posted By: someguy
I would change it and check everything else before the trip. No reason to worry about it all 2500 miles and end up at a quicky lube on Christmas Eve.
+1 I had to come back to add but this post sums it up!!

That will be 9000 miles on the 0w40, too much?

Thanks!

You do not say the year of your vehicle. If it is still under warranty, I would change it. Otherwise leave it in, unless you have an obsessive compulsive need to change oil like most people (me included) have on this board. In that case the oil change would be more for you than your engine. The Mobil 0W-40 should go 10K easy on a long run.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Ford recommends 5W or 10W30 oil in that vehicle at 5,000 mile intervals. You are using oil, 0W40, that is recommended as a long life oil in such vehicles as Mercedes and BMW. I would, without hesitation, use it for at least 10,000 miles. A one time UOA at 10,000 miles would be very interesting.

This is a Ford engine which was validated for 5,000 mile oil change intervals during testing. What BMW and MB recommend for their vehicles should not be of any concern to the owner because the BMW and MB engines were designed with those intervals in mind, but not this vehicle. This is especially critical because on an older engine, there will inherently be more blow-by due to wear and extending intervals is a bad idea without the proper testing-- which is not cost effective for any owner.

The OP should really change their oil now, as they have been overdue.

This is a 2002 V6 4L SOHC engine. It does not burn any oil. I use synthetic in this one because mostly it sits in the garage and I'd like to do once a year oil changes. Last year we only put 3500 miles on it. This year it has seen more use, like trips with a trailer to move the kids back home, my wife and I took a summer trip in it, etc. There is more info in my signature. I've never done a UOA. I do keep it in good condition, all fluids changed on time (maybe not the oil this time) and the interior vacuumed and clean plus the exterior shiny!

Last edited:
Usually when I ask a question like this I already have my mind made up. I have a feeling you want to change the oil. I'd change it, and enjoy the trip!

This is a 2002 V6 4L SOHC engine. It does not burn any oil.

Even more reason to change the oil. Isn't the 4L the engine that had some timing chain issues?

Yes, some of them did. Does that information help my decision any?

Since the timing chain and tensioners are lubricated by oil, having quality oil in the crankcase at all times is your only defense against timing chain issues. So yes, that's one more reason to change your oil.

No Brainer, change the oil and filter, and don't cheap out, put a fresh air filter as well
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back