Which flavor of Mobil 1 to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out the most cost effective version of Mobil 1 to use in a 2002 Toyota Sienna, it has 250000+ miles, the choice is between Mobil 1 HM 5w30, Mobil 1 5w30, Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and Mobil 1 0w40, I will run the oil 1 year and about 9000-10000 miles of 50/50 mixed city/highway miles.

I wouldn't go that long on that engine. Known sludger. Any 97+ 1MZ is suspect. I wouldn't exceed 7500, and I'd use EP. Any of the other M1 grades, regular 5w30 or HM or AFE 0w30, 6000 max.

And change the PCV valve every OCI.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I wouldn't go that long on that engine. Known sludger. Any 97+ 1MZ is suspect. I wouldn't exceed 7500, and I'd use EP. Any of the other M1 grades, regular 5w30 or HM or AFE 0w30, 6000 max.

And change the PCV valve every OCI.

Ouch, lol

If your going to be running a synthetic for the first time on a vehicle with 250k miles. Your gonna want to run a much shorter OCI.

This will be the 4th oil change with synthetic after a lifetime of dino, the first run of synthetic was $1 a quart Mobil 1 10w40hm run for 4500 miles, came out the dirtiest I have ever seen, has been getting 5w30 HM since at about 8000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Valve cover gasket is easy to change
DIY is your friend
Front or back cover?

On these cars?
crackmeup2.gif

On the Camry/EXS300 it's bad enough, and it's MUCH worse on the Sienna and RX!
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

Mobil1 0w-40, change once a year, and pour in a pint of Gumout Mult System in the sump 1,000 miles before an oil change to get the goop out. Older engines love slightly thicker oil.

Seeing as EP is often the same price as regular M1 at Wally World, I'd just run the EP. Not sure how well the HM will swell up the valve cover gasket to reduce leaks.

Sienna vans of that era seem to be bulletproof. Back in the late-90s/early-2000s, I used an airport taxi service for work that almost exclusively used those vans. Many had very high miles and still ran like a top, according to the drivers I chatted with. Sludge issues were mainly with people dragging out oil changes using dino oil.

The 2002 MY and higher are not "known sludgers."

The prior MY one's weren't, either, unless abused - just tagged with that label as some consumers tried to shift blame for ignoring maintenance.

I run M1 5w30HM in our 2002 ES300, 7.5k OCI, 240k total miles on it. It loves it and runs new, uses about 1/2 to 3/4 qt. per 7.5k OCI depending upon season. It's the recommended weight for the engine so I don't see a compelling reason for a different weight or non-HM version at that high a mileage on the unit.

Last edited:
Most "cost effective" is Extended Performance since it is rated for 15,000 miles at just a few dollars more than other types of Mobil 1. However, with your vehicle I would use Mobil 1 high mileage & change it every 7,000-8,000. I really wouldn't try to push intervals of 10,000 on a vehicle like yours but hey, you can do what you want. Get a UOA done after your first change & see what that shows.

I was just starting to wonder if M1 EP 5W-30 was a "better" oil than the standard and tried to find some test results for it. Right away I noticed that the pour point for the EP was slightly higher (-40C compared to -42C) and the HTHS was just a bit lower (3.0 compared to 3.1) by the manufacturer's product data sheets. I do see that the NOACK for the EP was somewhat better in Amsoil testing than for regular Mobil 1 in the PQIA testing, but I don't know how comparable results from two totally different labs are. I figured I didn't mind spending a few extra bucks for EP even though I'm going use ~5k mile OCIs if it seemed "better", but I'll probably stick with plain ol' Mobil 1.
Given that the OP wants to change every 10k miles, EP sounds like the way to go to me.

Thanks for the UOA, looks like sticking with 5w30 HM is the way to go, I am trying to milk another 40,000 miles out without going overboard on maintenance as at some point it makes more sense to replace the van than put alot of money into it.

Did the leak stayed same or got worse when you switched to synthetic? I have few 200K+ vehicles and I had been tempted to go synthetic but why ask for trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back