Another project complete' '84 Century Resorter

After the BMW, finishing this was my priority for last Spring, but many issues got in the way. Updating a previous post, she is a fiberglass inboard, powered by a Merc MIE 260. I wanted a fun, fast boat w/ classic lines, but aren't at the point in life where I will dedicate the time to a full wooden boat.

Overkill's Apollo thread got me re-motivated...Thanks!

Finally completed the refurb/light resto. This boat had sat for a long time out of the water and needed a lot of little things; gauges, wipers, etc. repaired before we splashed her at the very end of last year. The few weeks' running then showed a few more issues; delaminated exhaust hoses, topside leaks, bodged thermostat installation (darn PO's mechanic). I addressed all the above plus resealed the rub rail/repaired most of the attachments, all new bilge, exhaust and cooling hoses (exhaust hoses=major PITA), new raw water pump, plugs/cap/wires, filled in some hull nicks, repacked the shaft and rudder ports and had her propeller refurbished. Cosmetically, I finished the interior, keeping as much of the original material as possible, found the correct period bow light (converted it to LED) and a period steering wheel.

Finally got her in mid August. I will have to reseal the rudder port this Winter, but otherwise she runs and sounds great. Nothing like a V8 through water exhausts. I will post a video at some point.

Attachments

• wheel .JPG
    wheel .JPG
    131 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5491a.jpg
    IMG_5491a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 100
  • InkedIMG_5438_LIan.jpg
    InkedIMG_5438_LIan.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Although my past includes decades in the marine industry selling powerboats I have never driven (or even sat in) a single screw inboard. How difficult are they to maneuver in reverse opposite the rotation of the prop?

Awesome. I’ve never restored a boat my dads friend lives at the lake and has 3 abandoned boats with trees growing through them lol I want to restore one of those but he won’t part with any of them.

Although my past includes decades in the marine industry selling powerboats I have never driven (or even sat in) a single screw inboard. How difficult are they to maneuver in reverse opposite the rotation of the prop?

Notice she is tied up to the left?:)

Some background. So we are relatively new to boating, ~4 years. Our other boat is a bowrider i/o; a wonderful appliance w/ no character. I wanted a restore a classic inboard, hence the Century. Short story is I learned to drive an inboard and i/o concurrently.

Outside of situations where you need to reverse, I enjoy driving the inboard hands down. Docking the Century is a breeze using slight corrections of the wheel timed with short bursts of power and the Velvet Drive make is easy; flicks of your wrist between f-n-r. I do find that the Century is more susceptible to overcontrolling than the Chaparral. W/ light wind, I aim for an almost stop ~20ft off the dock at a shallow angle, then a slight burst of forward then reverse when just off the dock swings the stern parallel. Really windy, I use whatever power and inputs I need to the same spot.

In practice I try and avoid situations where I have to reverse anywhere but left and collapsible oars are handy for fending off docks, etc. Though, with enough space, you can get the inboard to pivot, but it is a bit tricky at first. For example, we have a narrow canal w/ limited sight lines to get to the main lake, w/ the inboard I swing very wide on entry so I can see the whole canal before I enter and I have enough room to sit or do tight 360's until the canal is clear.

Hope this helps, but a reminder that I am still a boating novice. I will gladly defer to Overkill or others who have probably forgotten more than I know about boats....

Awesome. I’ve never restored a boat my dads friend lives at the lake and has 3 abandoned boats with trees growing through them lol I want to restore one of those but he won’t part with any of them.

Older fiberglass inboards are a great beginner projects and can be had for short $$; Century, Naitique (even if you aren't a skiier). Outboards are also good. I am really not a fan of i/o's as a project, working on most i/o's, the access is usually painful..figuratively and literally.

Back