Another new vehicle question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just traded for an 08 Nissan Titan SE crew cab last week. I had an 06 Titan and used Pennz Platinum and Valvo SynPower (both in 5w-30) without any consumption at slightly less than 5k OCI's. I switched to syn at roughly 1500 miles in that truck.

Now my question is thus: Should I stick with the two synthetics I have used before, or maybe switch to M1 T&SUV, or even maybe Maxlife (reg variety) in 5w-30? This engine has shown that it can chew on an oil if oci's are too long so the drain interval may be the limitation along with the short commutes (5 miles to work each way). I was thinking the old tried and true 3k on regular oils or no more than 5k on syn (since they can be had BOGO regularly).

Any thoughts?

For the price it seems like MaxLife is the best best for almost anyone. If the rumor about Home Depot having it for under $2 a quart is true then its a steal.

Ryan they did me right on that. Nissan is having a MAJOR push on the Titans right now. $19k on the trade (an XE CC w/ 12K miles) and the price of the SE CC was like $22.5k before trade. All in all a good deal I thought.

Dyoel, do you think the MaxLife would be harmful to a new engine?

If you tend to buy/trade your vehicles on a regular basis and don't put hundreds of thousands of miles on them, i would tend to believe that synthetics are not cost effective for your particular usage. Something like tropartic 5w30 or something you can frequently find on sale like quakerstate dino, changed every 3000-4000 miles (considering your short trips) would perhaps be a better and more economical fit?

Synthetics are great, but i'm just not sold on the fact they are needed to even get 200K out of an engine that only sees regular usage and not extreame situations.

I would use the cheapest dino oil you can get unless you plan to keep the truck for $250,000 miles. Otherwise it's money down the drain...

Originally Posted By: ncirish

Dyoel, do you think the MaxLife would be harmful to a new engine?

It shouldnt be. Though you may just wanna stock up on the Quaker State deal at autozone right now since its good oil with a good filter at a great price.

There is really no advantage to syn oil at 5,000 mile oil changes and you will ever see an advantage using syn oil.The SM dinos work fine at 5,000 mile oil changes. look up the uoas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back