OCI advice for a newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am a long time lurker but first time poster and I have learned a lot from the vast amount of knowledge here. I would like to pose a question concerning OCI for my 1998 Nissan Frontier 2.4L with 157,000 miles.

My daily commute to work is only about 2.5 miles one way. However, the truck gets driven about 30 miles round trip on the interstate once or twice a week. I currently run MS5K 5W-30 with a 5k OCI and a Purolator Classic filter. The filter is a royal pain to access on this model so I am considering switching to a Fram Ultra and using it for three 5k OCIs or two 7.5k OCIs. I recently scored some of the Dollar General BOGO Castrol GTX HM Syn Blend. Given my driving habits for this truck, would this oil be alright for 7.5k or should I still go with the 5k OCI? Any thoughts and/or recommendations is appreciated.

Since you don't drive it much, I would change the oil every 5k and go 2X on the Fram Ultra.

You've done well to get to 157,000 with the current 5K routine...and you're no newbie if you'd done that. I'd stick to it, even with the GTX HM SB. Not a believer in trying to get 15K miles on any oil filter...no matter how difficult the filter is to access. The one on my 4.6L is a pita and I spill oil everywhere when it comes off. Such is the price of changing it. If 7.5K miles takes you 2 years to do, I'd stick to the 5K changes on both oil and filter.

I'd do 5k miles and UOA. That's pretty severe use, and not much highway to break up the short-tripping. That 5k miles takes what, a little over a year to put on? (I'm assuming 70 miles a week times 52 weeks)

Is there any way to mount a filter relocation kit? Or are the kits too costly? The oil's going to be thick and hard on the filter. So while the media might well filter effectively for 15k miles, the filter itself might be physically unable to go that distance. Especially adding in the element of time, which does degrade filters.

I would switch to a quality filter like either the fram ulttra or a Wix as for the oil i would change it at 5000 or 1 year whatever comes first that engine if i remember correctly does not take too much oil.

Since you are a fellow RUSH fan...I'll be honest and say to just change it every year. I estimate you'll be putting around 2700 miles a year on it. And I personally wouldn't go beyond that.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Since you are a fellow RUSH fan...I'll be honest and say to just change it every year. I estimate you'll be putting around 2700 miles a year on it. And I personally wouldn't go beyond that.

Oh yeah, love me some Rush! Saw them earlier this year in Greensboro, NC and it was a great show.

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'll go Fram Ultra for two 5k OCIs which ends up being about once a year.

Last edited:
Starman, I think your on the right track. 5k OCI and every other filter change should serve you just right.

+2 On the 5k interval and changing a high quality filter every other oil change. You could also possibly find a more specialized oil filter wrench for this application and change the filter every time. That is what I did with the CRV in my signature. The exhaust down pipe is very close to the filter on this car. I just change the oil when the engine is cold as to not burn myself and use an oil filter socket to make it easier.
oil_filter_socket.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back