post oil change and filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i changed my oil yesterday. i am using the last of my BOGO synpower (will be switching to PP) i ran 7500 miles on this oil run.. a question that i have been pondering is what exactly is trapped in an oil filter? i allowed most if not all the oil drain out of the purolator (regular one) and compared to my new regular purolator and that sucker was much heavier.. i mean what can be trapped other than very small particles?? is it just the filter media soaked in oil causing it to be that much heavier? just something i have always wondered..

How long did you let it drain?

There's probably some oil still in it due to the adbv. It will drain out slowly.

When you drain the filter, do you poke the ADBV with a screwdriver or something? If not, do it next time - it creates a vacuum and the oil can't drain out.

Even in a regular (nitrile not silicone) ADBV the oil will sit behind it for a month. Punch a hole in the can, or poke the adbv with a screwdriver.

I doubt all the metal shavings and fly legs your fiter catches weigh a noticeable amount.

Even if you make a hole in the filter, it will be heavier than a new filter. It is the difference between a wet towel and a dry towel. The oil held in the old filter will always outweigh the material trapped on the filter.

gotcha thanks guys.. it was just something i have noticed and was curious.. i would hope that weight wasnt from wear metals LOL..

Just the fact that the media is soaked with oil will make it heavier. As others said poke a hole in the filter. I poke a hole in the dome, sit the filter in a large funnel which is in a gallon container and let it drain for about a week. That gets most of the oil out, but the media is still soaked with oil, and the used filter is heavier.

AD

if there was that many wear metals we'd be in trouble.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back