Another motorcraft failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife's cousin will be at Christmas. He's a horrible human being who was senior vice president of purchasing for a company that owns a couple department stores who got paid millions of dollars to negotiate and off-shore American jobs to India and China. These stores contract with Indian/Chinese companies that manufacture brands specifically for these stores. It's not the automotive world but since he'll be there anyway I'm interested to know what would happen if there were quality issues with these products. What's the chain of command and what's his ex-company's responsibility in rectifying problems?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It's actually sort of ridiculous to even argue this, every store has defective products being returned every day. I don't know anyone who blames the store.

No one is blaming the store...I'm blaming the manufacturer. It makes no difference that Ford contracts the actual manufacturing of filters out to someone else - Ford puts their name on them and sells them and if they are causing problems with Ford vehicles then Ford needs to correct the issue. Could you imagine the transmission on my 2018 Honda Pilot failing with 5000 miles on it and taking it into Honda and they look at me and say, "Sorry, ZF made that transmission. You'll have to take it up with them."?

Ford doesn't manufacture the filter. Lots of products have house brand names. The defects are the fault of the manufacturer not the store. The store warranties, and from what HD clerks told me they return defects to the vendor or discard. The vendor gets dinged. Honda warrants the ZF, and if one is factory defective, you can be sure ZF gets dinged not Honda. No one is saying Honda will say take it up with ZF.
Mobil1 filters I believe do say contact Champ Labs even though it is a Mobil 1 brand.

Ford doesn't manufacture the MC filters, Mann & Hummel does, so it's M+H's problem if a filter kills an engine-the problem is, short of engine destruction M+H seemingly could care less about any oil filters they build in the USA. Their attitude is not helping Ford much, but Ford seems to have much bigger (& more expensive) issues these days than their name being on some substandard (IMHO) oil filters.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
So my wife's cousin will be at Christmas. He's a horrible human being who was senior vice president of purchasing for a company that owns a couple department stores who got paid millions of dollars to negotiate and off-shore American jobs to India and China. These stores contract with Indian/Chinese companies that manufacture brands specifically for these stores. It's not the automotive world but since he'll be there anyway I'm interested to know what would happen if there were quality issues with these products. What's the chain of command and what's his ex-company's responsibility in rectifying problems?
I would be interested in hearing this as well-I always assumed that Chinese/Indian contract companies built things to the lowest, cheapest standard they could get away with, UNLESS manufacturing was strictly supervised by the buyer-and a certain percentage of junk was expected.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
... Today I cut open a Hastings LF655 which is the filter cross for the FL910S. The center tube wasn't glued to the base plate on one side. The filter media was still glued securely but looking onto the filter tube, you can clearly see the media through a gap in the tube. I don't know if it even matters to performance ...
It doesn't. We've been through that one at length before.

Do you remember a post name or a link? I'd like to read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back