Another Fram TG3614 CUT OPEN

Stopped just short of lighting the Nitrile ADBV on fire this time. Might pick up a Bic lighter just for that sole express purpose.

Long story short.. Fuel delivery issues on the Taurus in the sig - now appear to be solved with new fuel pump and MOTORCRAFT Fuel filter, if that mattered. Codes are for non-fuel related - and now to rule out if an injector is leaking slightly or not - meant frequent changes of oil filter. Plenty of MMO in gas stained fuel red, wondering if that came out in the oil . So. Backstory presented.. here is another TG3614 CUT OPEN!

I have the Orange ADBV sitting by itself. Setting on fire would have to be a video most likely..

Was only on for about 1000 miles so let's see if it was filtering out anything serious. How does it look to you?

Also..of note: One "metal fin" on the can in the middle! Strange. Ever seen before?

Date code is A21711

20230325_092359.jpg
20230325_091117.jpg
20230325_091126.jpg
20230325_091223.jpg
20230325_091335.jpg
20230325_091418.jpg
20230325_091507.jpg
20230325_091515.jpg
20230325_091520.jpg
20230325_091539.jpg

Keep the oil wrench.. it's easier on the hands & wrists. If it's anything like my filter experiences the filter tightens up a bit over the OCI or it seems that way. The filter looks just fine & glad you're narrowing down the fuel issue. The fin on the can may of been from a nearby indention that lifted that portion up if that makes any sense. Keep at it & Good pics!

Stopped just short of lighting the Nitrile ADBV on fire this time. Might pick up a Bic lighter just for that sole express purpose.

Long story short.. Fuel delivery issues on the Taurus in the sig - now appear to be solved with new fuel pump and MOTORCRAFT Fuel filter, if that mattered. Codes are for non-fuel related - and now to rule out if an injector is leaking slightly or not - meant frequent changes of oil filter. Plenty of MMO in gas stained fuel red, wondering if that came out in the oil . So. Backstory presented.. here is another TG3614 CUT OPEN!

I have the Orange ADBV sitting by itself. Setting on fire would have to be a video most likely..

Was only on for about 1000 miles so let's see if it was filtering out anything serious. How does it look to you?

Also..of note: One "metal fin" on the can in the middle! Strange. Ever seen before?

Date code is A21711

View attachment 146678View attachment 146679View attachment 146680View attachment 146681View attachment 146682View attachment 146683View attachment 146684View attachment 146685View attachment 146686View attachment 146687
Survey says: I approve. What went back in and on oil wise?

I Thank You

Keep the oil wrench.. it's easier on the hands & wrists. If it's anything like my filter experiences the filter tightens up a bit over the OCI or it seems that way.
Yep, I install all my oil filters by hand to 3/4 turn, but about half the time I need to use a filter cap or a filter strap to remove them. They definately "lock on" to a certain degree with use.

Survey says: I approve. What went back in and on oil wise?

I Thank You

"Survey SAID!"... Hi there. OK so we are still on "Whatever is in that drum in the shop." Might be.. actually, no idea what it is. Whatever that particular establishment uses for oil fill, puts the Pronto filter on, and sends it out the door. Maybe a 5W-20 or 5W-30.. not sure which. (Only 1000 miles left on that fill if going by 3k OCI by the way.)

"What went back in"? Nothing. Still keeping a hawk's eye on oil level. Thks car has dirtier oil at filter and drain plug than at dipstick, and still MAY be "adding its own oil" as it for sure used to, more noticeable in the cold. Either it is going to stop when enough non-gas (read: lots of additives) gets out of the tank, cleaning achieved?? That before the pump and filter was replaced.. if it continues ADDING oil and not losing oil with use.. I'll pursue injectors as next step. Maybe order new ones, since we can't just park the car and send to @Trav because we are ALWAYS using them. @ARCOgraphite suspects an injector issue if that continues.

So. No new oil in, level just below halfway Maybe 1/4 or 1/3 after level check, may be pushing 1/2 up in crosshairs on dipstick after level check today, will check in a week and re-assess. Cooling system is fine, no level drop or oil in there (thankfully.)

K&N SO2009 is on there now, and will run that one until next Shop OC.

"Survey SAID!"... Hi there. OK so we are still on "Whatever is in that drum in the shop." Might be.. actually, no idea what it is. Whatever that particular establishment uses for oil fill, puts the Pronto filter on, and sends it out the door. Maybe a 5W-20 or 5W-30.. not sure which. (Only 1000 miles left on that fill if going by 3k OCI by the way.)

"What went back in"? Nothing. Still keeping a hawk's eye on oil level. Thks car has dirtier oil at filter and drain plug than at dipstick, and still MAY be "adding its own oil" as it for sure used to, more noticeable in the cold. Either it is going to stop when enough non-gas (read: lots of additives) gets out of the tank, cleaning achieved?? That before the pump and filter was replaced.. if it continues ADDING oil and not losing oil with use.. I'll pursue injectors as next step. Maybe order new ones, since we can't just park the car and send to @Trav because we are ALWAYS using them. @ARCOgraphite suspects an injector issue if that continues.

So. No new oil in, level just below halfway Maybe 1/4 or 1/3 after level check, may be pushing 1/2 up in crosshairs on dipstick after level check today, will check in a week and re-assess. Cooling system is fine, no level drop or oil in there (thankfully.)

K&N SO2009 is on there now, and will run that one until next Shop OC.
Very good. Thank You sir

What do you need a cap wrench for? You are over tightening if you need one. The only times I have ever used a wrench on an oil filter is when I purchased a new to me vehicle that the previous oil change monkey over tightened.

As others have indicated, it is to get the filter off, not on. Additionally, it is the most flexible for problem cars as one can put on an extension if it is buried up inside the engine bay; A strap wrench requires a certainly amount of lateral clearance just to use. Basically the gripper can make an OC more difficult in some circumstances

Whatever works for you I guess. I have never had a problem getting them off when I was the one to install it. Even in hard to reach places 🤷‍♂️

Back