Another FL400s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Out of curiosity, I see that some Jeep owners on the board here are using the smaller (narrow) FL400S instead of the FL300 (same size as the OEM Mopar MO-090) or long FL1A on their Jeep 4.0 engines. What is the reason for using the smaller, narrower filter? I know that in this application space is not the issue.

I have been using the long Motorcraft FL1A for years on my '96 Jeep 4.0 with the occasional Mopar, NAPA or Purolator. Our '08 Commander 4.7 has a Motorcraft FL820S on it now which is functionally identical to the Mopar metric thread MO-899 (and cheaper).

Andrew S.
Silicone ADBV on the FL400S-although I'm now using the Ultra XG8A on the XJ 4.0 in my sig, for two 5K OCIs.

Ah - so it is about the silicone ADBV vs. the nitrile valve in the FL1A. Thanks for the insight.

Andrew S.

Yes that, and as an aside the FL-400s holds about the same amount of oil as the "spec" PH16 filter equivalents do. Some Jeep owners will need to crack open another quart of oil to get to the full mark with the FL1A equivalent filters as they typically hold about 1/4 quart more overall.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Out of curiosity, I see that some Jeep owners on the board here are using the smaller (narrow) FL400S instead of the FL300 (same size as the OEM Mopar MO-090) or long FL1A on their Jeep 4.0 engines. What is the reason for using the smaller, narrower filter? I know that in this application space is not the issue.

I have been using the long Motorcraft FL1A for years on my '96 Jeep 4.0 with the occasional Mopar, NAPA or Purolator. Our '08 Commander 4.7 has a Motorcraft FL820S on it now which is functionally identical to the Mopar metric thread MO-899 (and cheaper).

Andrew S.
Silicone ADBV on the FL400S-although I'm now using the Ultra XG8A on the XJ 4.0 in my sig, for two 5K OCIs.

Ah - so it is about the silicone ADBV vs. the nitrile valve in the FL1A. Thanks for the insight.

Andrew S.

Yes that, and as an aside the FL-400s holds about the same amount of oil as the "spec" PH16 filter equivalents do. Some Jeep owners will need to crack open another quart of oil to get to the full mark with the FL1A equivalent filters as they typically hold about 1/4 quart more overall.

Right - I am one of those Jeep owners opening a 7th quart to top off when using the longer FL1A.

Andrew S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back