Wix XP cheapening? No longer wire backed.

Didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'll continue where it left off as I replied to him I will post pictures of the product on my next visit.
At least they're not hiding it in plain sight as the change is also printed on the packaging. Anyways, probably a PSA for you folks that care, this is a 16 dollar filter retail at Oriellys Autoparts.

I wouldn't doubt they try to pull a fast one, how many people, out there actually cut open oil filters.. They will save quite a bit of money on the manufacturing cost.. poor ethics though..

If they didn't cheapen it they couldn't compete with Fram. I also heard their metal preservatives are GTL based and we know how rare that stuff is these days...Cheapness rules our current culture. Profit rules the world today.

Great pictures 📸
There is a bit of rust on the base plate of the newer filter which I forgot to mention. Datecode on the newer stock looks like it came about the end of the year. Zombie branding at its finest if you want my 2 cents.

There is a bit of rust on the base plate of the newer filter which I forgot to mention. Datecode on the newer stock looks like it came about the end of the year. Zombie branding at its finest if you want my 2 cents.
This seems to be the decade of empty promises. All that was once golden is now gone 😔

If they didn't cheapen it they couldn't compete with Fram. I also heard their metal preservatives are GTL based and we know how rare that stuff is these days...Cheapness rules our current culture. Profit rules the world today.

Great pictures 📸
Hi Zee09,
I'm not sure what there is to cheapen. The Wix XPs already have poorer filtration specs than a Fram Tough Guard, Ultra Synthetic and Endurance and at over $13, costs more than all of them.

Now what's next on the chopping block... :cautious:
Honestly it was only just a stroll to get some automotive fluids that ended up an interesting trip to the oil filter aisle. And nope didnt spent the time looking at other filters. Which was dominated by microgards and wix. Some motorcraft was also in the mix and thats it.

We slapped Docs Filters last week. If I ran Lucas I would bring out my own line of oil filters that were second to none just to get even with BITOG.
Can you imagine Lucas riding the praise train on BITOG..?? 🤔🙃
Wouldnt be surprised if Doc filters is just a premium guard private label on the medium duty market segment.

I can remember trusting a lot of filters UNTIL they were purchased by Mann-Hummel, the Amsoil wire-back was the Gold Standard, now the Gold standard has turned to lead. What we used call "The Orange Can Of Death" is now, seemingly, the better option but with constantly changing options, it's like playing "Wack-A-Mole".

Hi Zee09,
I'm not sure what there is to cheapen. The Wix XPs already have poorer filtration specs than a Fram Tough Guard, Ultra Synthetic and Endurance and at over $13, costs more than all of them.
You know I find it interesting and contradicting that some high end synthetic media oil filters have such poor filtration performance marketed towards extended drains and service life. We know the cat is out of the bag that we have some hard data from the iso 4548-12 testing thread posted a few years back. Was it really just just a marketing move than real R&D? If I was looking at the Purolator Boss and Wix XP severely under performing against an OEM AC Delco, would that put them in the realm of snake oil products?

I mean small number of people are probably realizing FRAM (their premium non economy filters) is the sleeper of automotive oil filters (before the cheapening). All over the internet is always the constant nonstop flame wars and bashing of their products being garbage. (Could it be a social media PR campaign by competitors to undermine FRAM with the endless orange can / cardboard myth and legends arguments).

For example Samsung is known for hiring shills to hang out in consumer electronics forums pushing their products and smack talking competing products was caught red handed by sharped eyed PC enthusiast.

I can remember trusting a lot of filters UNTIL they were purchased by Mann-Hummel, the Amsoil wire-back was the Gold Standard, now the Gold standard has turned to lead. What we used call "The Orange Can Of Death" is now, seemingly, the better option but with constantly changing options, it's like playing "Wack-A-Mole".

Honestly there are still some good filters out there. We just got to vet them. Unfortunately the really good ones are not part of the light duty automotive market eg. Donaldson & Fleetguard and go through the effort to get a indirect cross reference to inspect and run. FRAM upper range offerings are still good if we're talking about the Ultra & Endurance. Its just you talk to other car folks and they constantly swear by brands such as Mobil1, Wix, etc thinking they're getting the best protection possible. I was one of those people too running what people thought was the best choice of their vehicle only to be hit with hard facts later they're not as good as they claim to be.

A few years back, MANN-HUMMEL moved the Wix XP filters to the same manufacturing process as Purolator BOSS.

So it's synthetic polyester media backed by a polymer mesh.

This Purolator video from six years ago explains it quite well:

I wouldn't loose any sleep using Purolator BOSS or Wix XP oil filters, they're fine. I've used both, on many occasions, never had an issue with either. Maybe find something else to worry about?

A few years back, MANN-HUMMEL moved the Wix XP filters to the same manufacturing process as Purolator BOSS.

So it's synthetic polyester media backed by a polymer mesh.

This Purolator video from six years ago explains it quite well:

I wouldn't loose any sleep using Purolator BOSS or Wix XP oil filters, they're fine. I've used both, on many occasions, never had an issue with either. Maybe find something else to worry about?

Good Morning Invisible,
I agree those filters will work fine. :) The issue is their pricing is up to 2 times more with lower performance specs. For me what matters is the filters ratings for mileage life, efficiency @micron level and that this information be on the point of sale packaging. Then when I look at the price the selection process becomes simple and straight forward.

Last edited:

Didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'll continue where it left off as I replied to him I will post pictures of the product on my next visit.
At least they're not hiding it in plain sight as the change is also printed on the packaging. Anyways, probably a PSA for you folks that care, this is a 16 dollar filter retail at Oriellys Autoparts.
They have always been low efficiency rock catchers-at $16, with no reinforcement (is even the plastic/polymer reinforcement gone?), they're not even worth considering. Much like Premium Guard NAPA Golds-just coasting on a dying brand name!

"Strictly" referencing title backing, as noted XP and Platinum (same filters) have converted to use of clear polymer backed media for quite a while now. Imo, and in my observation the polymer backing every bit as good as wire backing for both support and durability. So, 'if' that is change being referenced, no surprise here .Nothing new. Also, same type backing used on the much liked by members, previous UltraXG Pentastar cartridge filter made in S.Korea.

Back