Another Best Oil Filter Question

Would a super tech filter be good for a 2001 3.1 L motor. Or what about the Royal Purple
I was going to use an A/C but I heard they are not as good as they used to be. I have about 107,000 miles on the car, and only drive tops, 3,000/Year.
I am changing it about once a year.
What is the best filter for my motor?

Would a super tech filter be good for a 2001 3.1 L motor. Or what about the Royal Purple
I was going to use an A/C but I heard they are not as good as they used to be. I have about 107,000 miles on the car, and only drive tops, 3,000/Year.
All of these filter options changed at the recommended duration will perform perfectly in your application. It depends on how much you want to spend.

Personally, Id go as cheap as possible. Look around at the world of oil filters... More money gets you more mileage. If you're only driving 3,000 milesa. year, Change the oil once a year and at that time change the filter with one that is associated with that mileage.
Any filter you use is going to be higher quality than a filter originally made and used in 2001.

Real question is what's the best oil for your situation

All of these filter options changed at the recommended duration will perform perfectly in your application. It depends on how much you want to spend.

Personally, Id go as cheap as possible. Look around at the world of oil filters... More money gets you more mileage. If you're only driving 3,000 milesa. year, Change the oil once a year and at that time change the filter with one that is associated with that mileage.
Any filter you use is going to be higher quality than a filter originally made and used in 2001.
Even an A/C? Because I have one of them?
AC 2.jpg

What are the driving conditions? Are you easy on the engine? Do you tow? Cold weather idling?

If the driving conditions are normal, any oil that meets the specs will be fine. If I may suggest, if you watch for rebates, you can usually get Pennzoil or Mobil 1 for cheaper than Super Tech. But if you aren't one to watch for rebates, Super Tech may be the least expensive.

How much do you want to spend on a filter? Fram offers a line of filters, with everything from a basic filter that is rated for up to 7500 miles, to filters that are rated for 25000 miles. The AC Delco filters are a good option.

What are the driving conditions? Are you easy on the engine? Do you tow? Cold weather idling?

If the driving conditions are normal, any oil that meets the specs will be fine. If I may suggest, if you watch for rebates, you can usually get Pennzoil or Mobil 1 for cheaper than Super Tech. But if you aren't one to watch for rebates, Super Tech may be the least expensive.

How much do you want to spend on a filter? Fram offers a line of filters, with everything from a basic filter that is rated for up to 7500 miles, to filters that are rated for 25000 miles. The AC Delco filters are a good option.
Are you easy on the engine? Yes! Do you tow? No! Cold weather idling? No!
Short trips usually but lf l just go into town, l usually run up the highway a few miles up and a few miles back.

If the A/C is good enough, I'll just use that, as I have one, well 2 actually.

Those 2.8 3.1 3.4 GM's were great runners with just about whatever you put on them. Dad used the Bosch filters on his Oldsmobile 3.1 for 200k when the transmission went out.

Good to know, Thanks!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the AC Delco PF47E or other Ecore filters made by Champ, they had issues many years ago early on in their release which have long been solved.

The Supertech filters are the same filters as the PF47E as well.

With a 3,000 mile OCI, many will work great for you. Here are my thoughts on three that offer very good performance for the dollar.

1. Fram Extra Guard
2. SuperTech (Blue Can)
3. Purolator Classic

1690556605092.jpg

Been using M1 EPs with M1 EP HM oil on my 03 3.1 for last couple years.

Tried something different and went with pennzoil platinum hm ane a wix xp filter. Few weeks ago. So far so good car runs strong. Engine sounds great and oil looks clean after 300 miles.

As long as you get a genuine filter of any known brand (not some knock-off counterfeit), then it won't matter for the OCI you intend.

Once a year is fine. No risk there.

Back