Android + CalyxOS = Privacy…

As an increasing number of consumers grow weary of handing over their personal information to big tech companies, a number of solutions have become more widely available to address these concerns. De-Googled Android devices are now more available to average end users than before. One possible solution is running CalyxOS on a Pixel phone. The video below talks about the Calyx operating system and is also a good general overview of what a De-Googled Android phone is and what it means to the average end user.

So take back your privacy. Don't assume for-profit big tech has your best interest in mind... It's only 12-minutes long, watch it!

Yes, there are several custom ROMs available for Android. Lineage is one of the more well known ROMs. There are some that are focused on security above convenience. Check out XDA forums, you can find all types of custom Android software.

Calyxos is only for Pixel. There are other roms for most android phones. I have a OnePlus 7t and I'm running PixelExperience ROM at the moment.

Yes, there are several custom ROMs available for Android. Lineage is one of the more well known ROMs. There are some that are focused on security above convenience. Check out XDA forums, you can find all types of custom Android software.
Thanks for posting.

For the past 18-months I've been running LineageOS. First on a Moto 7G Plus and now currently on a Pixel 4. I'm looking ahead to my next build and strongly considering switching to CalyxOS on a Pixel 6.

LineageOS has worked great for me with no problems. As for the phone, I do enjoy the more premium flagship feel of the Pixel over the more cost effective Motorola. I was previously used to iOS so a top level phone felt more at home for me. And with Gcam software, the killer camera of the Pixel is restored.

Now I'm learning there are some security concerns withe LineageOS as it disables verified boot and lacks rollback protection. Not sure if this a BIG deal or a little deal for a general consumer like myself? Nonetheless, Calyx apparently cleans that up and offers greater security.

It's been freeing to cut ties with big tech and effectively have my cake and eat it too so to speak.

My understanding of the boot issue is, as long as you physically have your phone there is no problem. In other words, it's not a something a hacker can use remotely. You are no longer running the original software, so the manufacturer is not responsible for what you install. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can fill in the gaps here or correct me if I an wrong.

I've had nothing but custom ROMs on my devices (no GAPPS) with microG for a few years now. I recently was in the market for a new tablet - one with some power and features, used to make it affordable. The dilemma was finding a newer tablet that has custom ROM support. Ended up with a Samsung S7 but there are zero ROMs available. I unlocked the bootloader & rooted it and subsequently disabled a bunch of google stuff, but still I'm not fully satisfied.

I've had nothing but custom ROMs on my devices (no GAPPS) with microG for a few years now. I recently was in the market for a new tablet - one with some power and features, used to make it affordable. The dilemma was finding a newer tablet that has custom ROM support. Ended up with a Samsung S7 but there are zero ROMs available. I unlocked the bootloader & rooted it and subsequently disabled a bunch of google stuff, but still I'm not fully satisfied.
It's on the budget end of tablets but I just saw on YouTube where people had installed LineageOS on the previous 2018 version Kindel Fire 8HD.

Update: on Swappa.com last night I bought a slightly used Pixel 6 in the original box. It was $370/shipped plus tax. I was really going to try and wait for prices to come down as the 7 is due out within the month.

Anyway, I saw a really good tutorial on YouTube specifically showing how to flash a Pixel 6 to CalyxOS using a Windows computer so I'm going to try and save some money. Previously, I paid Rob Braxman's service to flash my phones. Fingers crossed, hopefully I don't end up with a nice paper weight.

Update: on Swappa.com last night I bought a slightly used Pixel 6 in the original box. It was $370/shipped plus tax. I was really going to try and wait for prices to come down as the 7 is due out within the month.

Anyway, I saw a really good tutorial on YouTube specifically showing how to flash a Pixel 6 to CalyxOS using a Windows computer so I'm going to try and save some money. Previously, I paid Rob Braxman's service to flash my phones. Fingers crossed, hopefully I don't end up with a nice paper weight.
Rob Braxman does a good job of educating and bringing secure phones to the people. I've rooted & installed ROMs on several phones & tablets. The worst part is that every maker/device/android version is different. It used to be you could just unlock the bootloader, install root (magisk), install a custom recovery (TWRP), then it was a simple matter of booting into recovery, wiping, and installing the ROM. Now things are different with the way newer android versions work - SAR (system-as-root) and A/B slots really complcate things. Some devices can be done using fastboot commands and some use the newer fastbootd route. XDA Developers has always been a great resource for these things - but it does require quite a bit of reading.

As an increasing number of consumers grow weary of handing over their personal information to big tech companies, a number of solutions have become more widely available to address these concerns. De-Googled Android devices are now more available to average end users than before. One possible solution is running CalyxOS on a Pixel phone. The video below talks about the Calyx operating system and is also a good general overview of what a De-Googled Android phone is and what it means to the average end user.

So take back your privacy. Don't assume for-profit big tech has your best interest in mind... It's only 12-minutes long, watch it!

Great post, much of the public would never bother. Apple offers much more privacy then Android which we all know.
He doesnt compare Apple only Android. Apple is not open source.
I completely agree with him, I dont use anything google and limit myself to them and all invading information gathering services in every way possible using Apple. (without going to an extreme that is)

The only thing I would question about his system is who is to say how secure it is, with so little in use how can one be sure it is secure?
Everyday thousands, 100's of thousands? are trying to break into Apple devices.

For those into this stuff I can see the appeal but the public in general just doesn't care and why google is so successful. Im amazed anyone uses google applications or Android for that matter.

Let me make clear though, I admire this guy for at least helping to get the information out there.
Android is Swiss cheese for people who want privacy for no other reason than what they do is no one else business and I admire him for what he is offering. Maybe with effort it can be more private than Apple devices. Most likely can for those who are into this stuff but I am not sure if it is out of the box or not.
I would love Joe Public to take more interest in their privacy but it just doesnt happen. Maybe to a small degree and why there is always some privacy "pressure" on google. They then do small changes to satisfy the pubic demand and maintain market share..

Last edited:
Great post, much of the public would never bother. Apple offers much more privacy then Android which we all know.
He doesnt compare Apple only Android. Apple is not open source.
I completely agree with him, I dont use anything google and limit myself to them and all invading information gathering services in every way possible using Apple. (without going to an extreme that is)

The only thing I would question about his system is who is to say how secure it is, with so little in use how can one be sure it is secure?
Everyday thousands, 100's of thousands? are trying to break into Apple devices.

For those into this stuff I can see the appeal but the public in general just doesn't care and why google is so successful. Im amazed anyone uses google applications or Android for that matter.

Let me make clear though, I admire this guy for at least helping to get the information out there.
Android is Swiss cheese for people who want privacy for no other reason than what they do is no one else business and I admire him for what he is offering. Maybe with effort it can be more private than Apple devices. Most likely can for those who are into this stuff but I am not sure if it is out of the box or not.
I would love Joe Public to take more interest in their privacy but it just doesnt happen. Maybe to a small degree and why there is always some privacy "pressure" on google. They then do small changes to satisfy the pubic demand and maintain market share..
I wasn't going to waste my time in this CalyxOS thread responding to your Apple fan boy nonsense so this response is intended for someone with critical thinking skills.

It's simply a smoke and mirrors illusion that Apple respects your privacy. They do not.

The reality is, Apple is the worst consumer privacy threat known to man, and yes, much worse than Google ever thought of, and Google is bad enough.

Understand that Apple is a publicly traded Trillion dollar for-profit company that is on the record for saying "privacy is a basic human right". And yet there is no way to know they are honoring their word because their operating system is Closed-Source.

So people are perfectly comfortable taking Apple's word for it even though there is no way to prove anything beyond puff piece news articles and carefully crafted marketing hype.

And then the 5-minute video below. Mic drop!!!

I wasn't going to waste my time in this CalyxOS thread responding to your Apple fan boy nonsense so this response is intended for someone with critical thinking skills.

It's simply a smoke and mirrors illusion that Apple respects your privacy. They do not.

The reality is, Apple is the worst consumer privacy threat known to man, and yes, much worse than Google ever thought of, and Google is bad enough.

Understand that Apple is a publicly traded Trillion dollar for-profit company that is on the record for saying "privacy is a basic human right". And yet there is no way to know they are honoring their word because their operating system is Closed-Source.

So people are perfectly comfortable taking Apple's word for it even though there is no way to prove anything beyond puff piece news articles and carefully crafted marketing hype.

And then the 5-minute video below. Mic drop!!!

Yes no sense in us having this discussion if you truly believe that the Apple Eco system is less secure and less private than android or anything google. Have a nice day, as far as fan boy I think you got it backwards pal and need to look in the mirror

I've been eyeing the Sailfish os phones. My only issue is getting the app for my hearing aids to work with it.

Yeah, before I switched back to Apple, I was a regular on XDA, tons of knowledge there and the range of options is impressive. One issue is of course these projects getting abandoned, which does happen, but there's typically another you can jump to.

Back