Amsoil XL or PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle I am asking about is a 2007 Nissan Quest minivan with the 3.5L engine. It is the wife's and she doesn't really drive far during the week. It currently has 19,955 on the clock and since the first oil change at 3,000 I have used Pennzoil Platinum. My OCIs are every 5,000 as this is what the manual states. My OCI miles will not change until the warranty expires at 100,000 miles. Is there any advantage to switching to Amsoil XL over PP? We live in suburban Atlanta so there is plenty of traffic, short trips and heat....all being driven with the air conditioner running; so the ability for the oil to handle the engine heat is important. I just changed the oil last week and used PP as I got a great deal on it at AutoZone. Availability of PP is a big reason why I have used it. There is an AutoZone close to my house and they are open 7 days a week.

Any insight you folks can provide would be great.

Pennzoil Platinum is cheaper and more widely available... I would stick with that. Asian engines seem to like it too!
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil XL-7500 is a darn good oil and I would use it in a heartbeat, but it would have to be as economical as the PP for me to.
wink.gif

I would get the Platinum. It is so much easier to get, and it is still a great oil. Amsoil is also a good product, but you have to jump through hoops for a product that is no better than your other option.

XL is so cheap for P.C. I would go with XL you can't go wrong with the additives that they use :)

Originally Posted By: Ndx
XL is so cheap for P.C. I would go with XL you can't go wrong with the additives that they use :)

It is $6.80 a quart. If you want it for less, you have to pay $20 for a preferred customer membership. And, pay for shipping or go to a warehouse. Amsoil makes good products, I use them, but cheap is the LAST thing Amsoil is.

Got my 4.4L jugs of PP for 19.99 on sale (regular price in canada is $35+) = $4.54 / liter. Brand name SM dino on sale goes for about $3/litre up here. Cheaper deals can be had in the USA. Either option is relatively inexpensive and will work great in your Quest.

Agreed.
thumbsup2.gif

The XL has a better HTHS(heat) better 100C(heat) better NOACK(heat) and is more shear stable.

I would go with Amsoil if money is not an issue. I am using Ams 5W-20 XL in my truck right now. You can't go wrong with PP if you decide to use it for your next oil change it's fine oil too.

API certified SM oil with 7500 miles or 6 months guaranteed with any filter (i.e. engine blows up for a lube issue you get it replaced)...easy choice if you have it available locally.

you can flip a coin on this one; I'd run with the Amsoil.

Quote:

but you have to jump through hoops for a product

Requires typing in some #'s on a web page and opening your front door.

You can order thru a site sponsor and help support the site, but yes, the product is not suited for everyone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FrankN4

Agreed.
thumbsup2.gif

The XL has a better HTHS(heat) better 100C(heat) better NOACK(heat) and is more shear stable.

HT/HS is about the same. Noack is also. Platinum officially meets GM 4718M & HTO-06 so it can handle heat very well. I'm not saying XL can't, but you don't really know that.

XL could be equivalent to Mobil 7500, which I would not expect to meet either of those specs. .02

Quote:
API SM/CF, SL, SJ ...
ILSAC GF-4, 3 ...
ACEA A1/B1
JASO VTW
GM 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N

Notice they don't claim GM 4718M.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
you can flip a coin on this one; I'd run with the Amsoil.

Quote:

but you have to jump through hoops for a product

Requires typing in some #'s on a web page and opening your front door.

You can order thru a site sponsor and help support the site, but yes, the product is not suited for everyone

By jumping through hoops.....

I mean....

And, by no means does any of this mean I don't like Amsoil products. I think they make one of the best overall product lines available. It is the hassle of getting it and the premium you pay.

Have to purchase "preferred customer" membership or you have to pay a premium.
Have to have a dealer, which may or may not know what he is talking about.....I know the dealers here on BITOG are great! But, some Amsoil dealers are not so great.
Have to pay for shipping.
Or, have to drive to a Amsoil warehouse, which for me is not convenient compared to the countless places that sell name brand oil.

All of this said, I am an Amsoil preferred customer and currently have SSO, ATF, EaO filters etc. in use. I just am getting tired of all of the hoops I have to jump through to get it. It is much easier to go to Wally World and purchase some Mobil1. The price difference is not worth the quality difference.

Last edited:
I am an Amsoil preferred customer. I am not sure what you mean by have to have a dealer. When I became a preferred customer, I did it online, gave them Gary Allan's dealer number, and that was it. Now I just go online, click here and there, and the order is made. If I do this early Monday morning, I have the products Tuesday evening.

It's very easy and convenient. When I order from Amsoil, it's at the door in 2-3 days max.

It's hard to compete with Walmart though. I was in there today. You really can't beat WM prices. Mobil 1 5qt Jugs for $22.

I find Amsoil products MUCH easier to get then going to a auto parts store or UGH Wally World.I go online(or call)and Big Brown drops it off at my front door.What good be easier other then ESP LOL.HECK of a lot easier then walking around Wally World and standing in a checkout line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back