Amsoil XL or PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP is not marketed as ..nor appears to be, an extended drain oil. XL is marketed as a 7500/6month oil ONLY to combat the quick lube 3k/3m marketing that they employ.

7500 is an extended drain for the majority of our members.
21.gif

While I've never had a chance to use it, I'd like to see someone take it out to 12k+ and see what it looks like.

I have used it to 6K Miles (10K KM) and it was just about spent there with a TBN at 2.3 So it could have made it to say 8K Miles maybe?

The wear metals were excellent in the UOA. This UOA I no longer have as I think it was thrown out at the other house when we moved.

PP pour rate is better than xl 5w30 if I remeber correctly. I use it up here in alaska and is a better deal for me. There is one ware house here and they charge 6 percent for shipping for all the products plus it's 30 miles away. I liked the amsoil stuff when I put 70k in 2.3 years but since I dont commute anymore i cant see paying that kinda dough to flush it into a recycling container. I will use some 0w30 when I drive out of alska to the lower 48 this winter

I don't get that-have you not looked at the UOA's posted here for Amsoil, Mobil, Maxlife synthetic and PP??? To each their own and yes you can collect upon a guarantee. I know of one man who got a 3.8 buick V6 paid for by XOM because of an additive issue back in 1994. They were quite responsive and took care of the issue while giving him rental transportation to boot. Paranoia and fear sells a lot of oil.

XL has proven to be good for at least 10k miles from UOA's I've seen. 7,500 is a conservative # IMO.

XL is a STOUT oil... don't let the GRP III mislead you. 7500/6m on XL is one of Amsoil's more conservative service intervals. My only gripe is that it's still $26.00 (dealer/PC) for 5 quarts. Add another $6-8 for shipping. PP is only $20 for a 5 quart jug at Wally World. Amsoil loses out pricing IMHO. PP is the choice.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have used it to 6K Miles (10K KM) and it was just about spent there with a TBN at 2.3 So it could have made it to say 8K Miles maybe?

The wear metals were excellent in the UOA. This UOA I no longer have as I think it was thrown out at the other house when we moved.

What was the time frame (for 10km) and what's the annual kilo-age??

I'd go with PP for cost, considering the OP has to do 5k changes for warranty.

Personally, I'd say that XL is a slightly better oil. PP is good stuff, but I think on a consistent basis, XL would hold up to 10k better. Amsoil is a much smaller blender, so I'd venture that QC is just a bit higher in blending.

Just my opinions and 'gut feelings'...not trying to start a war.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: StevieC

What was the time frame (for 10km) and what's the annual kilo-age??

Gary,

It was 2 months at that time (yes I was driving that much). It would have been 60K KM for the year.

If your only doing 5k pp is the way to go. Easy to find, cheap, and works well in pretty much any engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back