Amsoil vs Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will go check the MSDS.

Though I would be hard pressed to see them lying repeatedly,explicitly and in writing (!).

I wish i hadn't deleted that last email, but they said explicitly: "yes we use a PAO base oil about 75-80% PAO and some group V as well, with the rest being additive."
The above is an almost verbatim quote.

Fred...
dunno.gif

PS: I am leaving for my local retailer now I think they are supposed to, have MSDS' on file.

The MSDS tells all. I'm aware Valvoline's SynPower starts it's life with Group III Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate, but it is also listed as a synthetic lubricating oil containing zink and esters just as Amsoil does. What if anything sets them apart in the performance arena (excluding extended drain Amsoil)?

The one departure is that also in the MSDS, Amsoil's product is known to be and listed as an acute health risk
shocked.gif
, and the other leading products do not fall in such a catagory.

I have no disrespect for Amsoil or the company's product, but flash points fall within the same region (around 440-450 degrees) and the protection qualities also mirror each other vs. Valvoline.

None of the products manufacturered by the Ashland company make claims to be 100% synthetic base stock, and the Max-Life product makes no claims to being synthetic in any sort or manner. Comments !?!?!
dunno.gif

The MSDS only lists what the law requires it to list, and there may be more than one way to legally put things down on the MSDS.

Amsoil's products are quite different from most of their competition...others know more about their stuff (I think it's good but overpriced unless you go to annual drain interval, and I'm not confident about doing that).

You can learn a few things from the MSDS but never the whole story.

Valvoline products are good, buy can probably be beat in any of their price ranges. Yes, if you use nothing but Valvoline products your machinery will last a long time. Other brands might give longer engine life and lower cost...or maybe not.

Ken

[ February 09, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

They LIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY LIED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred...

Whoa, Fred, calm down.

Another possibility is that your emails were fielded by non-technical types who did not understand your questions, had access to too much information and could not sort it out, or were simply clueless about the issue as a whole. We've all had similar experiences.

I wonder: did your three replies come from the same person? Are you able to determine that?

[ February 09, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

Is this "Amsoil vs. Valvoline: battle of the marketing HYPE"
lol.gif

Sorry, I had to add that in.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back