Amsoil v Redline prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use at the moment Redline gear oils in the transmissions, tfr case and diff of my 2 Toyotas. However it is time for scheduled change and I note that the Amsoil equivalents are just over half the cost of Redline here in Australia (USA prices are about the same) Is Redline worth the extra or should I change en masse to Amsoil. I appreciate your thoughts.
Roger

I think Redline is one of the best products out there.

But if Amsoil has products for half the price, then after some quick research on the specific product, I'd use the Amsoil.

They both make excellent products, and the differences are usually subtle...not make or break.

Originally Posted By: RogerKlugerAus05
I use at the moment Redline gear oils in the transmissions, tfr case and diff of my 2 Toyotas. However it is time for scheduled change and I note that the Amsoil equivalents are just over half the cost of Redline here in Australia (USA prices are about the same) Is Redline worth the extra or should I change en masse to Amsoil. I appreciate your thoughts.
Roger

If Amsoil is lower cost, go for it. After Shannow mentioned the Aussie prices, I was thinking I could vacation in Oz every 2nd Sunday, bring 2-3 qts, pay for my trip, and still turn a profit!
cool.gif

Double check back here to assure correct product selection. Tend toward the heavy stuff, due to the gear oil specification changes. But in Oz, maybe not a problem, even your beer is thick!
LOL.gif
Sorry.

If you and all your buddies make the switch to Amsoil, Roger , I would think that would affect the marketing folks @ Redline. Just a hunch. Their prices may come down a bit when the sales start dropping. Both fluids are top notch, but at half the cost? No brainer.

Yep, no brainer! Both are excellent and I'm a Redline fan/user but if Amsoil were 1/2 the price I'd be using it!

I just bought some AMSOIL AMO 10W-40 and Mobil 1 10W-30

AMSOIL cost around $AU 75 per 5L (including postage) and the Mobil 1 was around $AU 85 per 5L off the shelf at the auto store.

Haven't bought ATF or gear oils though but would expect similar price difference ...

Last edited:
I have to say Amsoil. I would use Amsoil even if it where more expensive.

I have SVG 75W90 in rearend and MTG+MTF in my manual gearbox. The fluids before was Redline 75W90 and MT90.

Since i read Amsoil whitepapper i change my mind about Redline gear oils.

If your car has absolutely zero consumption and go you the full year (with one oil filter chnage at 6 months) then Redline maybe a goer pending vehicle use.
ie cost 5L x $30/L = $150 + $10 filter = $160
+ $30/L + $10 oil filter = $40 (6 months filter change)
Total cost = $200 if you do the labour yourself.

Amsoil cost with zero oil consumption full year
5L x $15/L = $75 + $10 filter = $85
+ $15/L + $10 oil filter = $25 (6 months filter change)
Total cost = $110 if you do the labour your self

Redline maybe one of the best products out there for the right application and use. For daily street driven vehicles difficult to defend and justify even if cost not a factor in you fiancial situation.

Amsoil is the logical choice. However, over here in West Australia finding an Amsoil dealer if difficult.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back