Amsoil to Reformulate Top Tier Oils!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Peterson Vice President of Technical Development stated that early 2011 all the top tier oils will be reformulated to meet or exceed API SN and SN-RC and ILSAC GF-5 and dexos 1 tm.

Is Amsoil trending towards FULLY licensing all their oils?

I doubt they would have them licensed. Just because they're reformulating them to meet the newest SN standard doesn't mean anything other then the fact that Amsoil wants their oils to meet the newest standards so the new cars coming out are more then welcomed to use the Reformulated oil in their new Whip.
thumb.gif

Price might go up a few cents to account for the different additives used but i doubt it will be serious.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I doubt it, it costs way too much.
They can afford the stadium and the buyers of their product would absorb the cost so Amsoil wouldn't notice. Amsoil isn't a garage blender and besides the cert is just a fee. They buy the add packs from a third party company so they do not make their own add packages in shop.

I believe they are heading toward the different certs!

Why? Goverment regulations dictate so. Look at dextos and dextos 1 tm requirements for example! They will need to be on board for the excitement that lies ahead.

Probably doesn't bode well for Amsoil as it means they're trending more and more to what the rest of the market provides. I'd be surprised if you found any of their extended drain products under the newer specs.

I doubt they really have to do much to their oils to get them to meet all those certs - they most likely do as they are.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I doubt they really have to do much to their oils to get them to meet all those certs - they most likely do as they are.

My opinion has always been the AMSOIL's super extended drain oils have always simply consisted of a predom-PAO base w/an overly robust additive package. With the new standards focusing on oil which is 'emissions system friendly' this places a limiting factor on the amount of additive AMSOIL can use. Hence I think you're going to see their newer oils tell you to follow OEM intervals. A perfect example is their "new" 5w-30 Euro.

The days of super extended drains (25k miles)on today's fuels are becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited:
^meaning...? shorter intervals because of all the ethanol in the fuel and strict emission standards?

and i was just working my way up to 20k oci's.

I guess its back to the ol' 3k interval for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im surprised Amsoil is still relevant.

Since I cannot find a 15-40 marine oil for my boat I still use that, but otherwise they dont make anything I can use (and I suspect just about the rest of the car buying public is the same)

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver

Since I cannot find a 15-40 marine oil for my boat I still use that, but otherwise they dont make anything I can use (and I suspect just about the rest of the car buying public is the same)

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
My opinion has always been the AMSOIL's super extended drain oils have always simply consisted of a predom-PAO base w/an overly robust additive package. With the new standards focusing on oil which is 'emissions system friendly' this places a limiting factor on the amount of additive AMSOIL can use. Hence I think you're going to see their newer oils tell you to follow OEM intervals. A perfect example is their "new" 5w-30 Euro.

Relevant? Amsoil sales continue to grow as car manufacturers extend their recommended OCI's. You cannot simply deny the success of SSO 0W-30 or any of the new OE line. I would say "the rest of the car buying public" is increasingly happy with maxing out or extending their OCI. My ave Joe neighbor across the road with the same Ody (his is a 2007) as we have, asked me if I change with the Honda reminder, I said no, I 2X it. He asked me how.....now he does the same and is so happy....he's thinking 3X!! People are choosing OE at quick lube places. I can't keep ATF, the other marine oils, 2 stroke oils in stock and come spring, I can't have enough MC 20W-50 in stock. All very relevant choices.

5W-30 Euro oil (AEL) is designed exactly and specifically as a Low-SAPS Formulation - and the worry with diesel particulate filters (DPFs), so yes you are correct in this case. However, contrast this with SSO. A relatively low Zn/P formulation, but does fine in extended OCI's. Even API XL which can go 10K plus, ie not stick with mfr recommended OCI's.

As for the topic at hand, I think ASL/ATM are due for a reformulation anyway. Can't wait!! Yes they could meet SN, but with all the other new formulations holding up so well, those oils need to be notched up.

I think that there is an improvement in the additive packages that are required to meet SN/GF5. So, for any company to sit still is foolish. Every time there is an technology update, its better for us for the company to adapt.

Now, if the SN/GF5 approved additive packages work so well, I wonder how good they will be in a race oil with 50% more of it?

I could care less if Amsoil leans towards licensing. But, to make sales and stay in business, one needs to produce what is required by the consumer, and make it as good as possible.

Amsoil ATF/ATL/MTG/MTF/PSF... are all top notch. There gear oils and motor oils are some of the best out there. They are extremely relevant. I wish them success with future products. And, if Amsoil is reading this, make a 75w85 GL4 MT fluid, and a 75w85 GL5 gear oil.

Probably doesn't bode well for Amsoil as it means they're trending more and more to what the rest of the market provides. I'd be surprised if you found any of their extended drain products under the newer specs.

Then get ready to be surprised!!

Extended drain intervals will continue, possibly increase. I personally am likely going to extend my Oil & Filter change intervals from once a year, to once each year & a half. Why, you ask? Because after a full year (approx.15,000-18,000 miles) my oil still looks like it came out of the bottle & analysis comes back showing it's still like new.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: QuadDriver

Relevant? Amsoil sales continue to grow as car manufacturers extend their recommended OCI's. You cannot simply deny the success of SSO 0W-30 or any of the new OE line. I would say "the rest of the car buying public" is increasingly happy with maxing out or extending their OCI. My ave Joe neighbor across the road with the same Ody (his is a 2007) as we have, asked me if I change with the Honda reminder, I said no, I 2X it. He asked me how.....now he does the same and is so happy....he's thinking 3X!! People are choosing OE at quick lube places. I can't keep ATF, the other marine oils, 2 stroke oils in stock and come spring, I can't have enough MC 20W-50 in stock. All very relevant choices.

5W-30 Euro oil (AEL) is designed exactly and specifically as a Low-SAPS Formulation - and the worry with diesel particulate filters (DPFs), so yes you are correct in this case. However, contrast this with SSO. A relatively low Zn/P formulation, but does fine in extended OCI's. Even API XL which can go 10K plus, ie not stick with mfr recommended OCI's.

As for the topic at hand, I think ASL/ATM are due for a reformulation anyway. Can't wait!! Yes they could meet SN, but with all the other new formulations holding up so well, those oils need to be notched up.

I'm not hear to argue their success but their margins will become squeezed even more. In the end if the majority of their motor oil product says to 'follow OEM oci' yet they still charge $2/liter (shipping and discounts included)over the comparable M1 product* there is no benefit to the user. It's just motor oil.

*I only mentioned M1 because I think they're generally the most expensive.

Agreed. I dont know why their is so much hype about amsoil. IMO they are way over priced for the average comsumer. For example, 1) They dont refine their own oil, so they buy the base oil (which most of it is most like a M1 base oil). 2) They dont make their own additives, so they buy that! 3) It not even a hot mix when they mix it together. So with that being said your basically buying a more expensine M1 oil in most application, I know they specific type oil for different applications that Mobil dont make.

Quote:
They dont make their own additives, so they buy that!

One can make their own additives but it is not usualy cost effective. When we made our own additive packages the testing costs did not yield a good return on investment because if you made one tweak, you had to retest. And if one supplier of one piece of the additive package chemistry went belly up or dropped that component, you were in trouble.

When additive package makers can qualify their Performance Improver (PI) chemistry, it makes sense to buy from them. In addition they can control the quality and consistency much better than you can.

Quote:
They dont refine their own oil, so they buy the base oil (which most of it is most like a M1 base oil).

You don't bet on one supplier of base oil and today there is more than just Mobil.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Valvoline doesn't refine their own oil either and yet people don't say they aren't a "real" oil company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back