Amsoil SS 15-40 vs other top tier oils

The "thread starter" will hit 650,000 miles around 2086, if the rest of the truck lasts 80 years.

Just in case someone needs a dual rated engine oil, Delo 400 5W40 is CK-4/SN+ licensed.
Not exactly an "off the shelf" engine oil.

If you know where to look, it’s a very off the shelf oil.

Just find your local chevron oil marketer.

Same goes with Phillips 66 / Kendall / Citgo / Mystik / Petrocanada / Etc. Millions of gallons are sold and moved every day by all the majors. Just find your local marketer and they probably will have a 5w40 in stock, cheaper than the stores.

If you know where to look, it’s a very off the shelf oil.

Just find your local chevron oil marketer.

Same goes with Phillips 66 / Kendall / Citgo / Mystik / Petrocanada / Etc. Millions of gallons are sold and moved every day by all the majors. Just find your local marketer and they probably will have a 5w40 in stock, cheaper than the stores.
I bought it here as it's not an off the shelf oil in Canada.
The Delo 5w40 was the thickest I could find in that grade, plus I get the railroad discount.

www.northernmetalic.com

Have you ever tried Amsoil products?
once... but then my own mechanical experience and training overcame clever and persistent marketing by the cult. :)

Attachments

• amsoil oil report.JPG
    amsoil oil report.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 41
If only a $30 spectrographic analysis were able to discern comparative oil quality then you'd be good to go.

That snippet you posted, isn't that from the Blackstone article that concludes no oil gives a statistically significant difference in UOA results? If so then it is not your mechanical experience and training that brought you to this conclusion but rather a preconceived and predetermined brand bias.

Last edited:
If only a $30 spectrographic analysis were able to discern comparative oil quality then you'd be good to go.

That snippet you posted, isn't that from the Blackstone article that concludes no oil gives a statistically significant difference in UOA results? If so then it is not your mechanical experience and training that brought you to this conclusion but rather a preconceived and predetermined brand bias.
yeah ,it is from Blackstone... but the amsoil guys always go into these chicken or the egg came first attempts at changing the direction of the conversation... but the most amazing thing about oil is its all essentially performs the same, if it meets the specs... so boutique oils like Amsoil, Royal Purple, Motul, BelRay etc depend on marketing of minutiae to sell the stuff to people who are willing to pay extra..

yeah ,it is from Blackstone... but the amsoil guys always go into these chicken or the egg came first attempts at changing the direction of the conversation... but the most amazing thing about oil is its all essentially performs the same, if it meets the specs... so boutique oils like Amsoil, Royal Purple, Motul, BelRay etc depend on marketing of minutiae to sell the stuff to people who are willing to pay extra..
No, all oil does not perform the same, what Blackstone is pointing out is that a spectrographic analysis is incapable of demonstrating comparative oil quality. There is a reason the Sequence tests are both expensive and time-consuming and why blenders don’t just send the oil out for a VOA.

No, all oil does not perform the same, what Blackstone is pointing out is that a spectrographic analysis is incapable of demonstrating comparative oil quality. There is a reason the Sequence tests are both expensive and time-consuming and why blenders don’t just send the oil out for a VOA.
there is also a reason Amsoil doesn't carry most of the engine manufacturers certifications... they dont want to pay for the testing and certification but they do want to charge 40 something a gallonand make a larger profit.. Amsoil can't put this stuff meets or exceeds stuff on their labels in a legal manner. .

Attachments

• 100_0143.JPG
    100_0143.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 31
Yeah I don’t know the reasons a blender or formulator may or may not pursue licenses and approvals. I know Amsoil does on some of their products. I am not sure that the cost of such approvals is really as important as the cost of the raw materials. But that’s just a guess.

It's like a lot of things....if a guy spends money on something and it makes him feel good then it HAS to be better.....and to admit otherwise is just not going to happen. Oils, fuel additives, grease, tires, etc etc etc. Guy spends 12 bux on some fuel additive (that adds 7 cents a gallon to his fuel cost) he's gonna tell you he "feels it" or give you some wild mileage claim. He'll run some boutique oil and shout about how great it is, " look at my oil sample...at 5,000 miles Blackstone says it's still GOOD! ".

But hey, if it's his money who cares right? Just don't try to tell me I'm wrong for not using the fancy oil, because I have data showing it's working (very) well for me.

A lot of money gets made marketing to people's feels. When your product has limited to no benefit over others, feel good feels is what you're selling, and lots of people are buying.

I have two basic assumptions when it comes to lubricating products ....

"Better" is the enemy of good enough" and " when a difference makes no difference, is there really a difference".

That might be called "a solution looking for a problem".
Each to their own. I'd rather change the oil twice as often instead of paying twice the price for custom blended lubricants and wazoo filters.
When in doubt, drain it out.

Last edited:
That might be called "a solution looking for a problem".
Each to their own. I'd rather change the oil twice as often instead of paying twice the price for custom blended lubricants and wazoo filters.
When in doubt, drain it out.
me too. change the stuff in the truck every 6 months. sometimes I drive it 10k miles, sometime 3000 in that time period... cheap enough too.. Mobil Delvac 1300 was $39.99 for a 4 gallon box at BJ's Wholesale last time I was in there

Last edited:
me too. change the stuff in the truck every 6 months. sometimes I drive it 10k miles, sometime 3000 in that time period... cheap enough too.. Mobil Delvac 1300 was $39.99 for a 4 gallon box at BJ's Wholesale last time I was in there
Hey @KICK ,what does BJ'S usually have for HDEO? More than Delvac?

Back