AMSOIL Synthetic Firearm Lubricant and Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used up my first can of the AMSOIL gun cleaner and will be ordering more. I like it. No real smell, cleans reasonably well, and leaves a bit of an oil film when wiped off. so, for cleaning a bore: a bit of Hoppe's on a patch, let sit, patch, brush, and patch with AMSOIL. When the AMSOIL patch comes out clean, I'm done, and I don't have to go back and oil the bore, it's done.

I've tried the gun oil. It seems to work fine. I honestly can't tell any functional difference between good gun oils on a properly lubricated Glock or AR-15. I do know that my DPMS LR-308 (a DI AR-pattern .308 rifle) doesn't like Rem-oil and will start having feeding problems after a couple of magazines if it's been lubed with Rem-oil. AR-pattern DI rifles like to run with lots of lube.

I always carry CLP in my range bag...and when a guy next to me on the range had problems with his brand new AR last week, the RSO took a look - it was bone dry...a bit of CLP from my bag and he was back to enjoying his new rifle...

I'm certain that the AMSOIL will do well as a lubricant in an AR. It seems heavier than the Rem-oil was, more like CLP, perhaps a tad heavier. And it's my experience that pistols don't care, but AR-style rifles prefer a heavier oil..

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've used up my first can of the AMSOIL gun cleaner and will be ordering more. I like it. No real smell, cleans reasonably well, and leaves a bit of an oil film when wiped off. so, for cleaning a bore: a bit of Hoppe's on a patch, let sit, patch, brush, and patch with AMSOIL. When the AMSOIL patch comes out clean, I'm done, and I don't have to go back and oil the bore, it's done.

I've tried the gun oil. It seems to work fine. I honestly can't tell any functional difference between good gun oils on a properly lubricated Glock or AR-15. I do know that my DPMS LR-308 (a DI AR-pattern .308 rifle) doesn't like Rem-oil and will start having feeding problems after a couple of magazines if it's been lubed with Rem-oil. AR-pattern DI rifles like to run with lots of lube.

I always carry CLP in my range bag...and when a guy next to me on the range had problems with his brand new AR last week, the RSO took a look - it was bone dry...a bit of CLP from my bag and he was back to enjoying his new rifle...

I'm certain that the AMSOIL will do well as a lubricant in an AR. It seems heavier than the Rem-oil was, more like CLP, perhaps a tad heavier. And it's my experience that pistols don't care, but AR-style rifles prefer a heavier oil..
Astro, I echo your thoughts on both products. I owed Pablo some feedback, but have not had a chance to give it. So I will add a bit here. The cleaner works really well and as you said leaves a film behind which is great for some firearms but not always for every one and thus I find myself using M-Pro 7 when I do not want a film remaining. With that said, Amsoil and M-Pro have become two of my favorite cleaners. The Amsoil gun oil works really well too and held up in the ARs that I recently used it in. It also does not seem to be "sticky" after leaving it on the weapon for longer periods of storage whereas some of the other oils I have used seem to be tackier and attract more dust. I find no fault with the Amsoil offerings and will continue to use them, but M-Pro 7 will also be within reach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back