Amsoil Study of SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
35.gif

What I see is that Amsoil makes some really good synthetics...but so do a host if other companies. I really like Pennzoil Ultra but the data on the others was useful. I was surprised at Valvoline's good results. No slam on them, I just hadn't expected it.

Some of the differences in scores are miniscule to the point of irrelevance, but bragging rights when your three beers into the conversation.

Their cost-per-quart numbers are not real world...Pennzoil Ultra at $9/quart? Please...and heavily skew in their favor (good job by the marketing folks!).

Then they build on that platform to show why theirs is better...by severely under-rating the OCI the others could conservatively go, to only 5000 miles.

Last edited:
So, AMSOIL picks a few measures in which the signatures series excels...whether or not those measures are realistic or representative...and concludes that it's the best oil? You're surprised by that result?

Just look at the cost comparison, every other oil had 2.37 changes per year (based on what?) but AMSOIL only had 1.0 changes per year, so AMSOIL won the annual cost comparison too!

Sheesh...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Wouldn't they be incorrect in saying that for 11K miles 2 changes of Mobil 1 EP are needed?

Exactly...

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
Going by this Study M1 is not all that great any more.

If Chevy did a study that concluded that Chrysler wasn't that great anymore, would you accept that conclusion at face value?

Wasn't that the purpose of the study, to make their product look better than the competition? Then use it for advertisements? All marketing, and to be taken with a grain of salt. Run the test, pay for it, and get the results you want. Marketing at its best.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

If Chevy did a study that concluded that Chrysler wasn't that great anymore, would you accept that conclusion at face value?

Good point. But I do wonder how much truth there is to this test.

Synpower and QSUD really should be compared to the OE line in all fairness. Having said that, synpower comes out pretty good.

Price "analysis" is laughable.

Last edited:
Of course not, to which I claim foul. The proof to me though is in the severe, real-world test in my 1MZ-FE. After over a quarter-million miles using mostly M1 the interior of my engine is spotless and uses virtually no oil between OCIs.

And if they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?

+1 consider the source.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

+1 consider the source.

Yes I said going by this study. But I never said the study was not fixed a little, to make M1 look bad.

I posted this Because to me Amsoil made them self not look that great when you take cost per quart in to factor.
1. Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172 Mod.) Yes Amsoil came out on top, But when you take cost in to factor Valvoline Synpower came out on top.

2.Total Base Number (ASTM D 2896) Yes Amsoil came out on top, But take cost in to factor Castrol is on top.

3. Cold Cranking Viscosity (ASTM D 5293) Amsoil on top But take cost in to factor QSUD is on top.

4. Thermo-Oxidation Engine Oil Simulation Test (TEOST, ASTM D 6335) Castrol on top.

5. NOACK Volatility Test (ASTM D 5800) Red Line on top but take cost in to factor PU is on top of this test.

6.Overall Annual Cost This was just a joke.

When Amsoil used to do these comparisons (say, 15 or 20 years ago) their oil was always on top in every test and by a wide margin. Not so anymore.

While Amsoil is still the leader of the pack, I do agree that the competition is catching up.

They sure love that Four-Ball Wear Test, don't they?

The Test That Never Dies.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
While Amsoil is still the leader of the pack, I do agree that the competition is catching up.

So, AMSOIL picks a few measures in which the signatures series excels...whether or not those measures are realistic or representative...and concludes that it's the best oil? You're surprised by that result?

Just look at the cost comparison, every other oil had 2.37 changes per year (based on what?) but AMSOIL only had 1.0 changes per year, so AMSOIL won the annual cost comparison too!

Sheesh...

This.
cherrypicking data points solely to make your product look good and others look bad is always a great way to lose credibility.
Amsoil needs to stop thinking this is a county fair for their "step right up" hokey demos, and they need to stop it with the Avon sales network model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back