Amsoil SSO-- 9082 miles---07 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my brother's tundra, which is used mostly for towing in excess of 8k lbs most of the time. His truck did have more miles than mine by 800 or so, and he drives more around town than i do.

He put 9082 miles on the oil in 11 months, and he also replaced the oem filter twice during this OCI.

OAI in SLC, Utah did the report.

Data flagged for observation only; TBN is moderately low; oil is suitable for continued use. Re-sample in 3500 miles or 65 hours.

*********Wear metals ppm*
IRON--17
CHROMIUM--0
NICKEL--0
ALUMINUM--8
COPPER--5
LEAD--0
TIN--0
CADMIUM--0
SILVER--0
TITANIUM--0
VANADIUM--0

*********Contaminant metals--ppm**
SILICON--16------TRD air filter.
SODIUM--10
POTASSIUM--2---What?

*********Multi source metals ppm**
MOLYBDENUM--9
ANTIMONY--0
MANGANESE--0
LITHIUM--0
BORON--13---SSO have boron in it?

********Additive metals ppm*
MAGNESIUM--13
CALCIUM--3786
BARIUM--0
PHOSPHOROUS--570
ZINC--675

DATE sampled--7/28/10
Date received--8/02/10
Unit time--11 months
Lube time--9082 miles
Lube change--yes
Filter change--yes
FUEL--less than .1%
SOOT--less than .1%
WATER--less than .1%
VIS @ 100.C--10.1--Close to virgin which is 10.3
TAN---not listed
TBN--3.31
I-R OXIDA--41---A little high?
I-R NITRA--24

Total miles on his truck are 31k.

I am not so dissapointed in the UOA after using this high end oil. However, the truck is a little noisy on the lower visc. oils for some reason. I just replaced this oil and filter using HDD 5w30 and TRD filter, even though toyota recomends a 0w20 or 5w/20 for this motor. We'll see how this run of the HDD goes next year. So far, it's much quieter. The 5.7 seems to like this oil already; at idle it is extremely quieter. It's even made the magnaflow exhaust louder for some reason.

Please comment.........

Thanks

EDIT BY MOD: Here is a UOA from my truck for comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
TRD oil filters are good. I don't know about the air filters...didn't know they made them.
The UOA looks very good to me for the miles and usage.

My 4 cylinder Tacoma also calls for 0W-20 or 5W-20 and I often use a 5W-30.
I have no problem with using any of those viscosities. Especially since the FSM I have for the previous model year for my truck calls for 5W-30.

Fe is a bit high compared to my extended OCI on SSO, but the loading was high so Im not concerned. Watch the Na and K, not sure if they are in SSO at low levels or if that is a coolant situation.

Again, why all the oil filter changes? When you consider the filter changes, the added oil required, and the high cost of the oil used, you are looking at a very expensive OCI.

I'm uncertain if the intermediate filter change is necessary.

Can I take that as ONE additional filter during the OCI? I think Tig envisions 3 total filters. I'm assuming 2 total with one being changed at some near 6month point.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Can I take that as ONE additional filter during the OCI? I think Tig envisions 3 total filters. I'm assuming 2 total with one being changed at some near 6month point.

Gary, he said he replaced the filter twice. Wouldn't that require two filter changes besides the filter used at the time of the oil change?

I'm hoping the oil filters are good; cause this interval i'll keep it in for the whole duration.

They do make air filters as well, and they're a K&N style but according to my UOA's on multiple vehicles they're better than k&n.

With approximately the same amount of miles, my 4runner (k&n) showed a high silicon level at 30. While both my tundra and this one, showed 14 & 16.

I'm telling you one thing regarding the 30w comparison to the 20w's. At least in my tundra, the motor is considerably quieter on the 30w for some reason. I didn't seem to notice it being quieter with the SSO, however. I wonder why?

Misled you again. Sorry.

It is a TOTAL of 2 filter's used during the duration, including the new fill. So one change midstream.

A little expensive i know, just an ounce of precaution that's all.

This OCI will only see one TRD oil filter for the whole interval.

The intermediate filter change may not be necessary, but i figure $4 for the cheap OEM filter and a half quart of oil isn't enough to worry about.

Even though it's a real pain to replace the filter, i still did it just to be cautious.

You're correct Gary; one intermediate filter change was done midstream of the interval.

Like i said above, i'll leave the TRD oil filter in for the whole duration.

The TRD oil filter is made of 3 plies of 100% synthetic glass/poly media, and is 98% efficient at 20 microns.

According to the Trdsparks website.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Misled you again. Sorry.

It is a TOTAL of 2 filter's used during the duration, including the new fill. So one change midstream.

A little expensive i know, just an ounce of precaution that's all.

This OCI will only see one TRD oil filter for the whole interval.

No way a filter change is necessary with only a 9K OCI with an engine as new as this. Implying it's very clean.

Just didn't feel comfortable with the cheap Thailand made OEM filters for that long.

Actually, my first analysis of my truck was quite dirty. However, it was still breaking in at the time.

I'll look it up and post it here.

Okay, i guess it wasn't all that bad considering. But for only 6k miles, i thought it was bad at the time.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...305#Post1241305

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

Gary, he said he replaced the filter twice. Wouldn't that require two filter changes besides the filter used at the time of the oil change?

Yes, it normally would, but he also said that on the other SSO UOA that you were critiquing out of pure curiosity ..and there he qualified it as just an intermediate. I figured that he just had a habit of expressing it that way.

Now since you were also reading that same thread ..where he also said it, why would you NOT initially think that he was making the same inference?

Quote:
I put 8400k miles on the oil in 11 months, and i also replaced the oem filter twice during this OCI.

Now ..here's you, Tig

Quote:
Why three oil filters in only 8400 miles?

Edited by tig1 (07/29/10 08:43 PM)

So, as you can see, you both echoed the same stuff.

Now let's scroll down and see what he REALLY MEANT

Quote:
2 oil filters in 8400 miles. Not 3.

So, Tig, given the 100% real time personal experience that YOU had on another SSO thread, shouldn't you really have to question the sensibility of a question like this?

Quote:

Now he may in fact have REALLY meant 3 total filters, but why would you assume that? Just to spew rhetoric about it being expensive?

I suspect so
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1

Yes, it normally would, but he also said that on the other SSO UOA that you were critiquing out of pure curiosity ..and there he qualified it as just an intermediate. I figured that he just had a habit of expressing it that way.

Now since you were also reading that same thread ..where he also said it, why would you NOT initially think that he was making the same inference?

Quote:
I put 8400k miles on the oil in 11 months, and i also replaced the oem filter twice during this OCI.

Now ..here's you, Tig

Quote:
Why three oil filters in only 8400 miles?

Edited by tig1 (07/29/10 08:43 PM)

So, as you can see, you both echoed the same stuff.

Now let's scroll down and see what he REALLY MEANT

Quote:
2 oil filters in 8400 miles. Not 3.

So, Tig, given the 100% real time personal experience that YOU had on another SSO thread, shouldn't you really have to question the sensibility of a question like this?

Quote:

Now he may in fact have REALLY meant 3 total filters, but why would you assume that? Just to spew rhetoric about it being expensive?

I suspect so
grin2.gif

Sorry Gary, Didn't keep as close tabs on all of the posters as you. I just saw what looked to be several filter changes in 9K and thought that was excessive for such a short OCI with pricey oil. Thanks to the OP for his clearing that up. At least you are kind enough to reply in a civil manner. Again one filter should be fine for 9K with a quality oil like Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Actually, my first analysis of my truck was quite dirty. However, it was still breaking in at the time.

I thought it was good, considering.
My silicon was higher than that at 15 ppm using a standard air filter and a TRD oil filter, with only 1K miles on the oil. The truck had about 12K miles total at the time.
During break-in, silicon often leaches from the sealants and gives a the UOA a high reading.

Next time, use the M1 oil filter and run it the entire oci. Save yourself the trouble.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Next time, use the M1 oil filter and run it the entire oci. Save yourself the trouble.

TRD filter is high quality, and for the price hes paying for the TRD filters I wouldnt pay extra for a M1

As long as the op has a good filter,I could care less,which one. Just suggesting the op get a good filter,initially,to avoid double filter change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back