Amsoil SS 15-40 vs other top tier oils

Is Amsoil SS 15-40 on the same level as other top tier oils? Pro's and con's to each in your opinion please.

I don’t think there are many top tier 15w40 to compare it too. Redline and RLI come to mind, but can’t think of others. Synthetic 15w40 and 10w30 aren’t very popular.

I

if you are on the path of Amsoil SS I’d for sure give HPL a look.
I’m on that train as well, but as Dave has said several times, Amsoil makes good lubes. Maybe not the absolute best, maybe there’s better values on some of the product lines from other manufacturers. But if you want to buy Amsoil, and change it on a reasonable basis, you’re not really giving up anything unless your goals are maximum service life.

But IMO, Amsoil is at least as good as any shelf oil, and will certainly deliver good protection. 👍🏻

Save yourself some money head over to WM current pricing.
20230218_075652.jpg

What drain interval are you thinking about?

What do you consider pro and con?

There is NO BEST OIL. Period.
10k on the oci. Clearly the cost is the biggest drawback. I'm going to use this for a low mileage (60k) 2006 LBZ Duramax. It doesn't get driven very often, but when it does, it works hard. Corrosion resistance is one of my primary concerns due to infrequent use. I am really not too concerned about the cost, but I just want to put in the best oil if it helps at all. I would rather waste some money than worry about lubrication.

Thanks for the replies and input.

this is a large sample of used oil analysis test results for a large variety of 15w40's lube oils used in 6.7 Cummins, it was thrown out there by Blackstone Labs. I just buy whatever is on sale... and wonder aloud why people belong to the amsoil cult. :)

Attachments

• amsoil oil report.JPG
    amsoil oil report.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 320
this is a large sample of used oil analysis test results for a large variety of 15w40's lube oils used in 6.7 Cummins, it was thrown out there by Blackstone Labs. I just buy whatever is on sale... and wonder aloud why people belong to the amsoil cult. :)
Because Amsoil has the lowest iron per mile and higher additives?

10k on the oci. Clearly the cost is the biggest drawback. I'm going to use this for a low mileage (60k) 2006 LBZ Duramax. It doesn't get driven very often, but when it does, it works hard. Corrosion resistance is one of my primary concerns due to infrequent use. I am really not too concerned about the cost, but I just want to put in the best oil if it helps at all. I would rather waste some money than worry about lubrication.

Your average is 3,500 miles per year. Maybe change the oil and filter once a year with 15w40 CK-4.
The 2006 is a classic imo. Don't overlook the other fluids. I like 80w140 in the F&R diffs and the new Allison 668 fluid
will work well in the transmission, transfer case and power steering. Cycle out the brake fluid every 6 years or so.
Belts, pullys and idlers are other parts to keep an eye on as the truck ages.

I have been using T6 and usually change it out every year in November. I really should start sending it out for analysis. All the other fluids have been changed out at least once. I did use TranSynd for the Allison fill per the good advice found here. I hope to have this truck for another 17 years if all goes well.

T6 has been hard to find until just recently. I will probably just stock up on the T6 and keep changing it once per year. I might even try the Delvac.

The biggest reason I thought about trying Amsoil is because I use their fuel additives. I recently ran out and went back to Power Service and the sound and overall feel of the engine felt off. I bought some more Amsoil and I was reminded how my truck starts better, runs much quieter, and I feel like it has better performance as well. I just was curious on what others thought of the Amsoil SS line of oil. I know it's good, but likley it's not twice as good. I have tried to never let cost be a primary concern for maintenance items, but this might be a lesson in not wasting money on something I don't really need. Who knows I might just try it anyways.:confused:

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.

You know its funny. We could say here that near every brand out there has a cult of users. I have used them all. I use Amsoil in one vehicle now but have used all name brands. There is only (1) to this day I wont use because every new vehicle I started out using it in , the new car / truck needed topping off before the oci was up. Dont want to start Shoot out at the Oil Change Coral so not going to name it.

Just went thru our local Walmart Auto / Tire area. Almost every oil on the shelf is marked down a couple bucks. Even many of the 1 qt bottles too.
No giant price drops on any but price drops all over the store too. Wonder what is the reason?

I run Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 currently and have run 7.5k OCIs with UOAs showing I could easily go 10k. Personally I’ll stick with the off the shelf less expensive oils and run them for 10k. FWIW, 10k on a diesel is not much at all especially given my Cummins holds 3 gallons.

Just my $0.02

Off the "shelf" Delo 5W40, 20k OCI on a Duramax, 650,000 miles plus, iron numbers under 1ppm/1k miles. Been this way it's whole life except for 2 changes using a Delo blend and conv Delo. Confident any of the other big brands on the shelf would have done the same.

Off the "shelf" Delo 5W40, 20k OCI on a Duramax, 650,000 miles plus, iron numbers under 1ppm/1k miles. Been this way it's whole life except for 2 changes using a Delo blend and conv Delo. Confident any of the other big brands on the shelf would have done the same.
The "thread starter" will hit 650,000 miles around 2086, if the rest of the truck lasts 80 years.

Just in case someone needs a dual rated engine oil, Delo 400 5W40 is CK-4/SN+ licensed.
Not exactly an "off the shelf" engine oil.

Back