Amsoil SS 0W30 VOA for 2020 Tundra

My question is where you live why 0W oil. 5W would be cheaper and a whole lot easier to find and find on sale!
Virginia. No particular reason just feel 0W may get a tad better cold start under freezing temps. If not no harm no foul.

You seriously see colder than -20 in Virginia?
Never. 15 to 20 coldest we see. But Toyota calls for 0W as most newer engines do. So I stick with that and move to a 30w. Less engine tick anything over 9cst in all my "seat" testing.

Never. 15 to 20 coldest we see. But Toyota calls for 0W as most newer engines do. So I stick with that and move to a 30w. Less engine tick anything over 9cst in all my "seat" testing.
I don't know why people are jumping on you ? You found a oil that you like , your engine is smooth with it . Is it because you didn't get it for 1 buck a quart at the dollar store ?

have you tried any 30 oils with very low amount of moly or no moly?

I own a Tundra and am curious if the higher viscosity helps the tick or if its the moly or the combination of both.

I don't know why people are jumping on you ? You found a oil that you like , your engine is smooth with it . Is it because you didn't get it for 1 buck a quart at the dollar store ?
Probably. Says more about them than me :)

have you tried any 30 oils with very low amount of moly or no moly?

I own a Tundra and am curious if the higher viscosity helps the tick or if its the moly or the combination of both.
Its viscocity. I also like Pennzoil Ultra 5w30.

madeej11 said:
Why is starting TBN so low? Amsoil is supposed to be 12.1. It's a great engine oil as most here will tell you but it's not approved for your warranty purposes. If it was okay to use under warranty then I would use it for the full 10k oci. I use SS 5w30 for 12-15k miles but the warranty is long gone. Personally I would not use Amsoil SS under 10k mile OCI's, I think that would definitely be a waste. If you want to use a 30 grade for 7.5 k miles just get a 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.
Every blackstone VOA I have done, 8 to date on different oils TBN has been around 2 to 3 low on TBN.
My understanding is that Blackstone is more geared towards testing of oil in service and the test method they probably use to measure TBN is ASTM D4739 and thus the TBN result for virgin oil will be understated. This test method uses weaker acids compare to test method ASTM D2896 which is preferred method to test TBN of virgin oil by using stronger acids and the result of TBN would be more accurate.

Valvoline has less Boron and much lower Flash Point. Would be interesting to see quality of SS vs Valvoline.
Amsoil SS will have a higher quality base oil to it, as it is designed to last for a much longer OCI than any Valvoline oil.
Not a knock on Valvoline; they are just built for different intervals. Valvoline doesn’t do extended intervals at all.

Reactions: JWB
That is a great oil.
Your Owner's Manual says:
View attachment 83877

The Amsoil 0W-30 you are asking about is neither 0W-20 nor ILSAC GF-5 certified.

I fail to see how you could possibly construe that the Amsoil 0W-30 would be approved for use in your Tundra. Whoever at the dealer said it was "approved" is either misinformed or uninformed.

Just to be clear.

HTH
The 30wt is a better oil regardless of CAFE credits.

That is a great oil.

The 30wt is a better oil regardless of CAFE credits.
I agree, in principle, but that's not my point.

My 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser also specifies TGMO (or equivalent) 0W-20:

Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20 [API SN at the time of OM publication]

I am currently using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 which is API SP Resource Conserving and ILSAC GF-6A.

My point is that the OP erroneously cited the OM and an anonymous dealer rep as some kind of justification for using Amsoil SS 0W-30 - that is not a logical conclusion. If the Amsoil 0W-30 were API and ILSAC certified, it would be a different story, but the Amsoil SS 0W-30 is neither.

So... OP can use whatever oil they want, but don't pretend that Amsoil 0W-30 is certified for use in his vehicle - it is not. There are plenty of xW-30 oils to choose from which are certified, why not choose one of those?

/Rant

Reactions: JWB

I am currently using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 which is API SP Resource Conserving and ILSAC GF-6A.

My point is that the OP erroneously cited the OM and an anonymous dealer rep as some kind of justification for using Amsoil SS 0W-30 - that is not a logical conclusion. If the Amsoil 0W-30 were API and ILSAC certified, it would be a different story, but the Amsoil SS 0W-30 is neither.

So... OP can use whatever oil they want, but don't pretend that Amsoil 0W-30 is certified for use in his vehicle - it is not. There are plenty of xW-30 oils to choose from which are certified, why not choose one of those?

/Rant
Amsoil has my back with their warranty. Not one failure since 1972 againts Amsoil. Not one.

/Rant
Reason I don't choose Amsoil is I like my money going to a small American owned company. Simple as that.

OK, but Amsoil doesn't recommend the 0W-30 for use in your 2020 Tundra - see here:

Amsoil Oil Recommendations for 2020 Tundra

Might be a sticky wicket getting around that discrepancy in court if you do have a claim.

Just sayin'

Have a nice day.
Not one claim has ever been filed by Toyota for oil not meeting a spec. Not one. But I would love to watch Amsoil defend their product in court againts a car company. Would be fun to see ;)

/Rant
You realize certification is more about CAFE regulations and emissions than quality right? I know a Toyota Engineer who uses Amsoil products. If Amsoil every had a failure many haters would post it. But they don't. Good day.

Back