Amsoil SS 0W30 VOA for 2020 Tundra

JWB

FYSA. Could be mental but Amsoil 0W30 is very smooth in my Tundra. The tick, common with 5.7 is gone. 900 mile trip over Xmas and decent mileage (15.5) round trip. 80/20 Hwy/city. Planning on doing 7500 changes here on out. Click on image to clear blur.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-214823_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-214823_Drive.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
I have run 5W30 Amsoil SS in my Tundra and have always thought about running the Amsoil SS 0w30. Won't be time to change again until late August or September, but I may give this a try!

Why is starting TBN so low? Amsoil is supposed to be 12.1. It's a great engine oil as most here will tell you but it's not approved for your warranty purposes. If it was okay to use under warranty then I would use it for the full 10k oci. I use SS 5w30 for 12-15k miles but the warranty is long gone. Personally I would not use Amsoil SS under 10k mile OCI's, I think that would definitely be a waste. If you want to use a 30 grade for 7.5 k miles just get a 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.

That boron is supposed to make the oil "smoother" Valvoline advertises it in their cheaper oils as making a 5w-30 as efficient as a 5w-20. The moly and 10cst also play a role and it being so detergent while being ran for a long time at high rpm, oil temp, and oil pressure for several hours also probably helped too.

Why is starting TBN so low? Amsoil is supposed to be 12.1. It's a great engine oil as most here will tell you but it's not approved for your warranty purposes. If it was okay to use under warranty then I would use it for the full 10k oci. I use SS 5w30 for 12-15k miles but the warranty is long gone. Personally I would not use Amsoil SS under 10k mile OCI's, I think that would definitely be a waste. If you want to use a 30 grade for 7.5 k miles just get a 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.
My dealer sait its approved. Owners manual says TGMO or equilavant. Keep reading. It says SOME oild will have an ISLAC symbol. SOME.

Every blackstone VOA I have done, 8 to date on different oils TBN has been around 2 to 3 low on TBN.

I know but I sleep better and thats all I am looking for. No need for a D1G2 in a Tundra. My 2020 says GF 5 so really SuperTech with is now GF6 Is overkill :)

I know but I sleep better and thats all I am looking for. No need for a D1G2 in a Tundra. My 2020 says GF 5 so really SuperTech with is now GF6 Is overkill :)
You're not making sense. You say no need for a SP, GF-6 oil because it's overkill, yet Amsoil SS is not. Amsoil SS doesn't have approvals or certifications, it is only recommended for, NOT approved.

My dealer sait its approved. Owners manual says TGMO or equilavant. Keep reading. It says SOME oild will have an ISLAC symbol. SOME.
Your Owner's Manual says:
TundraOil.jpg

The Amsoil 0W-30 you are asking about is neither 0W-20 nor ILSAC GF-5 certified.

I fail to see how you could possibly construe that the Amsoil 0W-30 would be approved for use in your Tundra. Whoever at the dealer said it was "approved" is either misinformed or uninformed.

Just to be clear.

HTH

View attachment 83877

The Amsoil 0W-30 you are asking about is neither 0W-20 nor ILSAC GF-5 certified.

I fail to see how you could possibly construe that the Amsoil 0W-30 would be approved for use in your Tundra. Whoever at the dealer said it was "approved" is either misinformed or uninformed.

Just to be clear.

HTH

Granted my Tundra is a 2011 but my owners manual does state a higher viscosity oil may be better suited, depending on driving conditions. FWIW, I've been running 5w30 synthetics in mine for several years now, although I realize I'm no longer under warranty. Picture of my owners manual.

IMG_2201.jpeg

I have done several Blackstone lab report and every oil I sent in they came back about 2.0 lower. Not sure why.

Why isn't approved? My 2020 owners manual says TGMO 0w20 or equivalant. It also says "SOME" containers have the ISLAC marking on the bottle. Some is the key word. My 2020 owners manual also says in the back of maintenence book I can run mineral oil. So would mineral oil (conventional) not be equivalant to TGMO? I have zero issues with Amsoil SS. Its oil not rocket science.

View attachment 83877

Just to be clear.

HTH
Dude relax. Its my truck and my warranty. Amsoil has been in engines since the 70s..First API approved synthetic oil. Not one engine failure or denied warranty on the internet since the late 70s. You do you. I have had Amsoil in engines under warranty for over 17 years and not an issue. I don't do long drains anyhow. I do 7,500 on SS simply because I feel it gives me the best bang. Highet Moly and Boron is what I like.

Dude relax. Its my truck and my warranty. Amsoil has been in engines since the 70s..First API approved synthetic oil. Not one engine failure or denied warranty on the internet since the late 70s. You do you. I have had Amsoil in engines under warranty for over 17 years and not an issue. I don't do long drains anyhow. I do 7,500 on SS simply because I feel it gives me the best bang. Highet Moly and Boron is what I like.
Valvoline EP has more moly than SS and almost equal levels of Boron according to a recent VOA on the Valvoline, I switched to the Valvoline simply because of that

Valvoline EP has more moly than SS and almost equal levels of Boron according to a recent VOA on the Valvoline, I switched to the Valvoline simply because of that
Nice. I like Amsoil more than a few reasons. 100% American made and small company (less than 400 employees). I agree I probably will see no difference using Asmoil but I like where my money is going and no doubt a great product.

Valvoline has less Boron and much lower Flash Point. Would be interesting to see quality of SS vs Valvoline.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220113-180622_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220113-180622_Drive.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20220113-180558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220113-180558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 56
Back