Amsoil Signature vs OE?

Had a fluid exchange done a couple years ago on the truck and I'm going to start a yearly pan drop and refill routine. Its spec'd for a very long OCI with the Mercon LV but I just don't trust it. No real issues with the Ford Mercon LV but I do have a 1-2 shift solenoid that sticks once in a while. Since it will only need about 3.5 quarts for each service I am thinking about getting some Amsoil "Fuel Efficient" ATF. They have their Signature Series and their OE lines. Based on price and description the SS is obviously their flagship product with the OE line being marketed as, well, OE replacement. My question is, what would the functional differences of these two be? There is a roughtly 50% price increase going to SS, which is OK, but if its basically the same stuff then I wouldn't want to pay that much more...

Alternatively, I have also considered going with the Maxlife synthetic ATF since it is supposed to be LV compatible and is working great in our Explorer.

The OE is properly licensed and to the spec of the OEM. The SS is their own formula that isn't licensed and not to the spec of the OEM but they stand behind the product to meet or exceed the specifications as required by the OEM.

If the car is under warranty and you are concerned use the OE otherwise the SS in my opinion offers better protection and performance.

I have always used the SS in my vehicles from brand new and never had an issue. Almost 2 Million kilometers and counting.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Had a fluid exchange done a couple years ago on the truck and I'm going to start a yearly pan drop and refill routine. Its spec'd for a very long OCI with the Mercon LV but I just don't trust it. No real issues with the Ford Mercon LV but I do have a 1-2 shift solenoid that sticks once in a while. Since it will only need about 3.5 quarts for each service I am thinking about getting some Amsoil "Fuel Efficient" ATF. They have their Signature Series and their OE lines. Based on price and description the SS is obviously their flagship product with the OE line being marketed as, well, OE replacement. My question is, what would the functional differences of these two be? There is a roughtly 50% price increase going to SS, which is OK, but if its basically the same stuff then I wouldn't want to pay that much more...

Alternatively, I have also considered going with the Maxlife synthetic ATF since it is supposed to be LV compatible and is working great in our Explorer.

I have swapped our Cruze from a couple changes of genuine ACD Dex VI (Cruze eats ATF in 40k or less) to Maxlife and the ATF is not darkened as it was before … yes, that’s not technically a “test” … but being that’s not an ICE … like to see it keep red. Switched the GMC and Fusion to Castrol MV several changes back … so far it appears to hold up well …
When my stash is gone … think Maxlife will be my fluid for 3/4 of my vehicles
Perhaps the OEM fluids are no better … and never find a good price myself

We have a '14 Fusion and Amsoil says either fluid is acceptable. If you want to use their "signature" line, you just have to justify the price difference really....

The signature series isnt just flagship product it also has certifications that OE doesn't like they OE is dexron 3 and SS is dexron 6. So their is compatibility differences also. Make sure you buy right one for your transmission.

The signature series isnt just flagship product it also has certifications that OE doesn't like they OE is dexron 3 and SS is dexron 6. So their is compatibility differences also. Make sure you buy right one for your transmission.
I don't believe Signature Series ATF or any other of their transmission fluids are certified, recommended for only!

Back