Amsoil Signature Series worth the money?

When I first bought my Escape at about 60K miles it had what was likely the factory fill in it. I did an eight quart change and it shifted better but not great. And while it looked clean after driving around the block over the course of a month it was dark again and back to shifting poorly. So poorly, in fact, I thought the tranny was toast. This time around I did an eight quart change with Maxlife. MUCH BETTER. Thus, I can tell you Motorcraft Mercon LV is inferior to Maxlife. And if we compare the intended audience of Maxlife to Amsoil OE FE ATF they are competing products. While Signature Series FE ATF is designed to be better. And if going from an "acceptable" ATF to a "good" ATF I'm excited to see how a "great" ATF performs. At the very least I won't have to change it for a looooooong time!

I use Amsoil ATF on all of our vehicles (CRV, Camry and Mazda 6). I drain the ATF every 60k miles. Don't waste your money on Amsoil ATF if you are planning to drain the ATF every 30k miles.

-ttvr4

if you finally purged most of the spent fluid after the second 'change', it is irrelevant what brand Fluid 1 or Fluid 2 was. You washed the whole circuit twice - this is more material. Next time try 2-time swap with Mercon vs analogous procedure with another fluid on 32+ vehicles - more or less statistically valid sample size.

Originally Posted by dogememe
When I first bought my Escape at about 60K miles it had what was likely the factory fill in it. I did an eight quart change and it shifted better but not great. And while it looked clean after driving around the block over the course of a month it was dark again and back to shifting poorly. So poorly, in fact, I thought the tranny was toast. This time around I did an eight quart change with Maxlife. MUCH BETTER. Thus, I can tell you Motorcraft Mercon LV is inferior to Maxlife. And if we compare the intended audience of Maxlife to Amsoil OE FE ATF they are competing products. While Signature Series FE ATF is designed to be better. And if going from an "acceptable" ATF to a "good" ATF I'm excited to see how a "great" ATF performs. At the very least I won't have to change it for a looooooong time!

Although I can not doubt your perception this would be a testimonial and not reliable nor would this admissible. At least you found something which works for you.

I just purchased a 5 Gal pail of Schaeffer Dexron/Mercon LV that i used in my spouses ZF 8 speed with excellent results. If you plan on doing normal intervals id stick with Maxlife as its only 18$ a Gal at walmart. Break out the wallet for amsoil.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
How anal are you about base oil?

https://www.amsoil.com/msds/atl.pdf Dec-1-ene is a PAO

MaxLife, is CAS 64742-54-7, Distillates (Petroleum) -Hydrotreated.

The amsoil OE is Group III like the maxlife.
https://www.amsoil.com/msds/OTL.pdf

What we do know about Royal Purple MAX ATF? I'd be curious about that. Obviously it's not specced for a 6F35 as it's not "low viscosity" (though according to RP tech support it should work fine in a 6F35) but is it a G3 or G4 base oil? I'd like to know how the RP MAX ATF compares to the AMSOIL OE MV ATF I just ordered for my Silverado. The AMSOIL was actually quite a bit cheaper than the RP.

Last edited:
It does darken quickly … I switched to Maxlife, Castrol MV's … And just ordered AC Delco Dex VI in a Mobil shaped bottle …

OP - My take on using the Amsoil stuff in your 6F35 vs. using Motorcraft Mercon LV or Valvoline MaxLife is this:

The 6F35 trans is a good trans, but since it is a sealed case and does not have a user-serviceable filter, changing fluid frequently (~30,000 mile intervals) is recommended in order to help remove contaminants.

Both the Motorcraft MerconLV and the Valvoline MaxLife fluids are excellent fluids, and will definitely get you to the 30,000 mark easily, and will likely get your trans well out to the 200,000 mark with regular drain & fills. Both are also pretty easy on the wallet, especially the MaxLife.

I have no doubt that the Amsoil stuff is excellent fluid as well, and seems to have its backers on here. I have never used it, but if they say it will go twice as long, I am willing to stipulate to that...

... BUT, for the 6F35, it will not negate the need for regular drain & fills.. so I'd say skip it and go with the Valvoline MaxLife. On a trans with a serviceable filter, where longer fluid intervals are a given, I'd think the Amsoil stuff would be worth a go. I would not do so in my 6F35 though.

Just my $0.02

Yep, worth it. Though Toyota WS says lifetime, I changed the ATF fluid + filter after 101,000 miles and reflled it with Amsoil SS ATF. I'll probably change it when it hits 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted by SirTanon

... BUT, for the 6F35, it will not negate the need for regular drain & fills.. so I'd say skip it and go with the Valvoline MaxLife. On a trans with a serviceable filter, where longer fluid intervals are a given, I'd think the Amsoil stuff would be worth a go. I would not do so in my 6F35 though.

Just my $0.02

thumbsup2.gif
. I just did my third drain and fill in the Explorer with the 6F35 transmission. The factory fill was BLACK at 12,000 miles. I refilled with Mercon LV and 10,000 miles later it was still very dark, but not black. Again I refilled with Mercon LV and 10,000 miles later it was a lighter gray with a hint of purple. Just did another D&F and it was ruby red, this was with another 10,000 mile run on the Mercon LV. My goal was to get as much of the break in nasties removed from the transmission before I started longer D&F intervals. We keep our vehicles for a very long time so simple maintenance such as easy to do D&F make sense to me. I think the 6D35 might be "harder" on the ATF than other Ford transmissions that spec Mercon LV.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by SirTanon

Just my $0.02

thumbsup2.gif
. I just did my third drain and fill in the Explorer with the 6F35 transmission. The factory fill was BLACK at 12,000 miles. I refilled with Mercon LV and 10,000 miles later it was still very dark, but not black. Again I refilled with Mercon LV and 10,000 miles later it was a lighter gray with a hint of purple. Just did another D&F and it was ruby red, this was with another 10,000 mile run on the Mercon LV. My goal was to get as much of the break in nasties removed from the transmission before I started longer D&F intervals. We keep our vehicles for a very long time so simple maintenance such as easy to do D&F make sense to me. I think the 6D35 might be "harder" on the ATF than other Ford transmissions that spec Mercon LV.

Whimsey

Yeah. The 6F35 is definitely harder on the LV fluid that some other transmissions that use it (or Dex VI). Not sure why that is, but it certainly is... at the very least, they darken it faster than other transmissions seem to. Another reason why 30k D&Fs are the way to go.

OP - My take on using the Amsoil stuff in your 6F35 vs. using Motorcraft Mercon LV or Valvoline MaxLife is this:

The 6F35 trans is a good trans, but since it is a sealed case and does not have a user-serviceable filter, changing fluid frequently (~30,000 mile intervals) is recommended in order to help remove contaminants.

Both the Motorcraft MerconLV and the Valvoline MaxLife fluids are excellent fluids, and will definitely get you to the 30,000 mark easily, and will likely get your trans well out to the 200,000 mark with regular drain & fills. Both are also pretty easy on the wallet, especially the MaxLife.

I have no doubt that the Amsoil stuff is excellent fluid as well, and seems to have its backers on here. I have never used it, but if they say it will go twice as long, I am willing to stipulate to that...

Just my $0.02
It would actually be the reverse of what you say. If you have a tranny that is difficult to service then you would want a longer lasting fluid. Doesn't that make more sense? Also, some guys for some reason are referring to Amsoil OE fluid whereas the thread title says Sig Series.

Having tried both maxlife and amsoil, amsoil to me feels like it has a bit more positive shift. However, ive never A-B’d them in the same vehicle. I’ve used both when servicing friends’ cars. I personally prefer the amsoil, except in ULV applications where amsoil doesn’t have an appropriate offering.

im probably the only member of bitog who had a bad experience with maxlife in a Honda. Got burned by that one.

If you’re set on 30k intervals I’d just go Valvoline and call it good. No doubt the Amsoil stuff is great but unless you’re doing some serious towing with that edge (doubtful) or taking it to the track Maxlife every 30k will meet spec and will hardly be the reason if your trans fails.

Amsoil is definitely a quality ATF and is one I would feel good about if left in for an extended drain interval.

I can't say the MC is junk, but in applications I've had it in service; I prefer other ATF's. On my 2010 Fusion, it was completely dark by 20K miles. Some say this doesn't matter but after a few drain/fills and adding LG red; the shifting was much improved and fluid stayed red. However, I think the LV is fine if changed at reasonable intervals.

Back