Amsoil Signature Series worth the money?

I am wondering if Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is worth the extra money over Motorcraft Mercon LV? The Amsoil is about double the price of what I can get Mercon LV for. I would be using it in a 2015 Ford Edge 2.0 Ecoboost with the 6F35. It just rolled 30k and I'd like to change the fluid in it soon.

I have a thread about the check plug on this trans on here, too. Trying to get all my info together before I get into it.

Thanks

Steve

27.gif

Yep, my first order as an Amsoil dealer is gonna be a case of Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATF that's gonna go in my Escape as well as some gear oil for my truck. I had better results with Valvoline Maxlife vs the awful junk Motorcraft Mercon LV but I think I can do better...

If you intend on going extended drain intervals or intend to do towing or other severe duty type driving, Amsoil is worth the money and the protection is excellent. If you intend to change more regularly go with Maxlife. Anything seems to beat OE fluid.

Last edited:
100k with Amsoil, or normal interval with factory or Maxlife. Your choice I think.

Personally, I think the Amsoil is worth it for double the interval.

Originally Posted by JLTD
100k with Amsoil, or normal interval with factory or Maxlife. Your choice I think.

Personally, I think the Amsoil is worth it for double the interval.

If you e-mail the Amsoil technical line they will tell you what they recommend for their fluid for your application.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Yep, my first order as an Amsoil dealer is gonna be a case of Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATF that's gonna go in my Escape as well as some gear oil for my truck. I had better results with Valvoline Maxlife vs the awful junk Motorcraft Mercon LV but I think I can do better...

Just curious, what made the Mercon LV "awful junk"? It turns dark sooner than other ATF's, shifting issues, cost? Our 2017 Explorer has the 6F35 transmission, I believe the same as yours, only updated to not have the shifting issues the earlier ones such as yours had sometimes. I will admit if you go by the color of the used transmission fluid it is dis-concerning to see it go grayish in as little as 10,000 miles. Does it affect wear, I don't know. I do know that Ford's new vehicle ATF change of 150,000 miles is pure c**p and will kill the tranny most likely just after the 60,000 mile power train warranty expires. Replacement transmissions are not cheap. Doing easy to do drain and fills with this transmission costs me $20 using 4 quarts of Mercon LV. I get the Mercon LV from Rock Auto for less than $60 for 12 quarts delivered. It's easier to do a drain and fill on this transmission than to do and oil and filter change. Plus the shifting with the Mercon LV has been great with this automatic transmission. I usually drive manual transmission vehicles so I'm picky about shifting quality with an auto transmission.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by dave1251
Nope not worth twice the money.

My thoughts exactly.

Ummm.................................. How is Motorcraft "Junk"... exactly?

Not answering "yes" or "no" but many BITOG'rs apparently feel their time is worth nothing; If a product prevents me from having to do extra maintenance (e.g. drain and fill with ATF) it is worthy of consideration.

I generally use extended drain oils so I am not rolling under the car in 20F weather for an oil change; Is extra life on an oil a value? To me.... h-yeah.

I have had great luck with Amsoil gear oil and trans fluids. To me, it's worth the money invested. I know it's a quality product so it makes me feel good at night.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by dave1251
Nope not worth twice the money.

Based on?

Based on the Amsoil will not be good to 150K miles. Simple cost versus performance. Twice the cost it better perform twice as long.

Really eh? Here is what they sent me for the Toyota Highlander when I asked...
wink.gif

Feel free to e-mail him and confirm.

AMSOIL ATL (and OTL) meets all Toyota type WS fluid requirements and is recommended. I do not have test results for the OE Toyota fluid.

Toyota says the WSS fluid is a "Lifetime" fill, but that is under "Normal" service conditions, and is true for the OTL as well as the ATL fluid.

Under Severe Service conditions, they say the fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles or 72 months, whichever comes first. Based on this the AMSOIL ATL can be used for twice as long ----, up to 120,000 miles or 144 months.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 715-392-7101
FAX: 715-399-6531

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Really eh? Here is what they sent me for the Toyota Highlander when I asked...
wink.gif

Feel free to e-mail him and confirm.

AMSOIL ATL (and OTL) meets all Toyota type WS fluid requirements and is recommended. I do not have test results for the OE Toyota fluid.

Toyota says the WSS fluid is a "Lifetime" fill, but that is under "Normal" service conditions, and is true for the OTL as well as the ATL fluid.

Under Severe Service conditions, they say the fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles or 72 months, whichever comes first. Based on this the AMSOIL ATL can be used for twice as long ----, up to 120,000 miles or 144 months.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 715-392-7101
FAX: 715-399-6531

Talk about total B.S. "can be used for up to 120000 miles" how is Bryon going to justify this? This is just as dubious as "lifetime" fluid.

Think about it. Do you honestly think they would put that out there if they weren't absolutely sure? They wouldn't be around with those kind of business practices, but go ahead believing what you want without proof to back it up and spreading this nonsense around BITOG.
[Linked Image]

You don't want to use it fine, but you can't make up nonsense that can't be backed up when proof exists that it can be used for twice as long in a severe applications to boot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your input. I'll have to think about it a little more. I was planning on doing 30k intervals on it anyway, so I might just go with Maxlife if I decide to do that. I'm wondering if changing it more often with a cheaper fluid would be just as good or better than leaving fluid in there for 100k plus especially since these don't have a serviceable filter in them. What does anyone think about that logic?

Nothing beats clean fluid so long as a quality fluid is used. If you are going to do 30K intervals use MaxLife.

Last edited:
Back