Amsoil Signature Series warranty discussion

Originally Posted by dseg42
I received the response below from Amsoil regarding the API certification on their SS oil:

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question.

You are correct in that Signature Series is not API certified because the additive levels exceed normal performance levels. That is why our XL and OE oil are API certified but Signature Series is not so if they stipulate that you must use an API certified oil then potentially Ford could deny coverage. But if our AMSOIL products were the result cause of any type of failure, we stand behind them 100%.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

The below is stated in the F150 manual:
Use motor oils of the recommended viscosity and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

Kudos to them for being honest. I'd use OE or XL to play it safe while under warranty.

Looking to put Amsoil in my new 2019 F150 3.5 EB like the rest of my cars.
Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil with an Amsoil EAO17 oil filter.

But since their signature series oil is not certified by API, I heard Ford could potentially void your powertrain warranty.
Wondering if anyone else is concerned about that or had issues in the past.
I know Amsoil has a few oils that have the API starburst but I really wanted to use their best oil (Signature Series) that is not API certified.

Why do you want to use SSO?
Ford can only recommend an oil for your engine, but it can mandate drain intervals to maintain warranty coverage.
If you don't have the option of running this fairly costly oil beyond what you could do with cheap Motorcraft blend, then why spend more than you need to?
If you want to run SSO merely because you believe it to be worth the extra cost, then go for it.
It may well be worth it in this compact and powerful little turbo engine.
Your dealer and Ford will never know what oil you used unless you tell them in the extremely unlikely event of an engine failure under warranty.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Looking to put Amsoil in my new 2019 F150 3.5 EB like the rest of my cars.
Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil with an Amsoil EAO17 oil filter.

But since their signature series oil is not certified by API, I heard Ford could potentially void your powertrain warranty.
Wondering if anyone else is concerned about that or had issues in the past.
I know Amsoil has a few oils that have the API starburst but I really wanted to use their best oil (Signature Series) that is not API certified.

Why do you want to use SSO?
Ford can only recommend an oil for your engine, but it can mandate drain intervals to maintain warranty coverage.
If you don't have the option of running this fairly costly oil beyond what you could do with cheap Motorcraft blend, then why spend more than you need to?
If you want to run SSO merely because you believe it to be worth the extra cost, then go for it.
It may well be worth it in this compact and powerful little turbo engine.
Your dealer and Ford will never know what oil you used unless you tell them in the extremely unlikely event of an engine failure under warranty.

There is no benefits using Amsoil SS for factory recommended OCI's.

Run whatever Amsoil you want within the OCIs required by your manual while under warranty, then extend it out as far as you want with UOAs to support the interval and enjoy an engine that will never die of a lube related issue.

In order to deny a warranty claim the manufacturer would have to first prove that the failure was solely oil related.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yes, think Dexos 1.2 is a good spec....

OT, but that's exactly what they should have called it. dexos1 generation 2 gets confused far too often with dexos2.

As I've said in countless threads before during the warranty period it's "advisable" to run an API certified oil while under the warranty period for less of a headache should a warranty claim arise even though you are covered by Moss-Magnuson where you are.

With that being said I choose to run Signature series while under warranty with my FCA vehicle even though I'm not covered by Moss-Magnuson act here in Canada for these reasons:

1) I have confidence in the product and the warranty they extend should the OE try to deny warranty and have been using their product for over a decade.

2) Our family has claimed engines/transmissions through various OE's due to manufacturing defects and never were we asked for maintenance records because the units looked cleaned/maintained inside.

3) My manual specifically states that warranty will not be denied on failure to provide maintenance records / receipts alone.

4) I can fix most things myself so even if I couldn't get either the OE / Amsoil to fix something under warranty in some remote chance, I can do it myself.

This is a decision you need to make for yourself OP considering the above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
How would Ford actually prove this with sampling? I highly doubt that there will be lubrication issues, but If they were to pull a sample, how would they determine its Amsoil, which by defaults should blow the MotorCraft spec out of the water, and secondly how would they determine that its not API rated?

They wouldn't have to. They will ask for receipts and it will clearly show what oil was used.

Then it becomes a Federal Trade Commission issue. If the oil company says it meets the API standard and it doesn't, the oil company is on the hook. If it meets the API standard it says ti does... even without the star burst.... then the Dealer/OEM is on the hook. And some Amsoil products have been tested by the PQIA folks and they have verified they meet the standard they say they do. I think the OEM is going to have a tough time proving that the Amsoil products do not meet the specs they say they do.

I know that it can be complicated if a person finds themselves in this situation, but the odds of it happening are pretty remote. I think that some need to take a breath and relax about such things. Unless there is something truly amiss, the idea the the dealer/OEM will even ask what oil was used, service records, etc is remote.

It is like the Schaeffer 5w30 oil I use. It says it is Dexos 1 Gen 2 compliant, even though it doesn't have the classy emblem on it. It has API SN+ certified symbol. I use it in my various GM vehicles. Given that Scheffer has been making oils and lubes longer than anyone in America, I am not even barely concerned that the GM Dealer / OEM is going to have a leg to stand on if they want to play games because Schaeffer is not on the "dexos approved" list. They won't be able to pass the buck and it would be fun to watch.

Originally Posted by tojo1968
Originally Posted by Audios
How would Ford actually prove this with sampling? I highly doubt that there will be lubrication issues, but If they were to pull a sample, how would they determine its Amsoil, which by defaults should blow the MotorCraft spec out of the water, and secondly how would they determine that its not API rated?

They wouldn't have to. They will ask for receipts and it will clearly show what oil was used.

And receipt is not enough to prove a thing.

But if our AMSOIL products were the result cause of any type of failure, we stand behind them 100%.

The devil is in the details. AMSOIL is saying that if our product fails and causes an engine failure, we will handle the situation.

Conversely, if the engine fails but our product did not, we have no obligation to assist.

So, if you experience an engine failure while running AMSOIL and your OEM decides to deny your claim due to the oil used or the service interval, you are likely to be on your own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
But if our AMSOIL products were the result cause of any type of failure, we stand behind them 100%.

The devil is in the details. AMSOIL is saying that if our product fails and causes an engine failure, we will handle the situation.

Conversely, if the engine fails but our product did not, we have no obligation to assist.

So, if you experience an engine failure while running AMSOIL and your OEM decides to deny your claim due to the oil used or the service interval, you are likely to be on your own.

That's not how it's spelled out in the warranty certificate they have posted.

They tell you to go to the OE first, if they deny warranty to get it in writing and to submit this along with a sample of the lubricant in use to Amsoil for processing the claim.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf

WHAT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE A CLAIM:

• AMSOIL requires an eight (8) ounce representative oil sample taken from the failed equipment. Such sample must be placed into
a clean, dry container for warranty claims filed with AMSOIL.

• If there is engine damage and the vehicle is under warranty, file a warranty claim with the OEM. If the OEM denies the warranty claim,
the Consumer must provide a written copy of the OEM's warranty denial if such denial is based on use of an AMSOIL lubricant.

• Notify AMSOIL at (715) 399-8324 immediately. In the alternative, you may mail a claim notice, along with the OEM denial to
AMSOIL INC., ATTN: Technical Services, 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880, postmarked within 30 days of failure or alleged
defect.

• Keep the failed parts for inspection by AMSOIL, unless given to the OEM.

• Mail, at your expense, the following items to AMSOIL INC., ATTN: Technical Services, 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880:
- The eight (8) ounce representative oil sample (see above).
- Documentation describing the make, model and year of equipment, total accumulated miles and/or hours and duty cycle or
service environment.
- Equipment or vehicle maintenance history documentation including miles or hours at the time of AMSOIL lubricant installation,
general equipment repairs and oil analysis results if available.
- Proof of purchase for AMSOIL lubricant (if available).
- Batch number from oil container or Certificate of Analysis (if available).
- The OEM warranty denial, if applicable, and claim notice (if not previously provided).

• If your claim is approved, you will be reimbursed this mailing expense.

AFTER A CLAIM IS FILED:

• You must cooperate with the AMSOIL investigation of the claim and provide the information reasonably requested by AMSOIL.

• If your claim is paid by AMSOIL or its insurer, an attempt may be made by AMSOIL to recover those amounts from the OEM. If this
occurs, you may be asked to provide further information pertaining to the failure and must cooperate with AMSOIL or its insurer in
the recovery process.

Last edited:
Not saying that Amsoil has never paid out, but there is always a lot of talk on the forums about how Amsoil will cover things and I have yet to see any appreciable example of them doing so. One would think Amsoil would share such information to bolster consumer confidence.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Not saying that Amsoil has never paid out, but there is always a lot of talk on the forums about how Amsoil will cover things and I have yet to see any appreciable example of them doing so. One would think Amsoil would share such information to bolster consumer confidence.

Maybe oil related failures is just extremely rare for amsoil

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

Maybe oil related failures is just extremely rare for amsoil

I wouldn't begin to argue that. But in several decades there must be one instance or even a few. A motor, a transmission, a differential, etc. And I have never read of one. Just crickets from Amsoil. And I find it difficult to believe that there has not been a single failure of a motor using Amsoil. Whether Amsoil was able to force the hand of the OEM to honor things or Amsoil made good themselves, it would be supportive of their guarantee. Without such supported examples, then it is just a claim of a guarantee.

Some car manuals explicitly require oil to be API certified. It could become an issue should there be a warranty claim.

Some car manuals explicitly require oil to be API certified. It could become an issue should there be a warranty claim.

If you are going to bump a thread that's over two and a half years old, you should probably add some value to your post by sharing that the current version of the oil in question, i.e. Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil, does meet API specs:

5W-30 (ASL): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Honda HTO-06; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4

Full page from Data Bulletin:

Picture1.jpg

HTH

If you are going to bump a thread that's over two and a half years old, you should probably add some value to your post by sharing that the current version of the oil in question, i.e. Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil, does meet API specs:

5W-30 (ASL): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Honda HTO-06; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4

Full page from Data Bulletin:

View attachment 80763

HTH
“Meeting API specs” is meaningless. API is a licensing organization and either the oil is licensed or it is not. Many Amsoil products are API licensed per the API EOLCS.

Back