Amsoil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
That link will explain the rest of the info needed to really answer your question.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'd be glad to help.

What car?
What OCI?
Driving habits?
Total miles on engine?
Previous oil and oci?

Thanks!

1989 Toyota Supra Turbo 142k miles, I'm probably around 320 hp to the wheels right now.
Driving habits would be fairly aggressive as this is my fun car. Currently I have 20W50 Castrol Syntec but thought about going a tad thinner. I also used to run GC but wasn't really a fan of it in my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carman594
I'd be glad to help.

What car?
What OCI?
Driving habits?
Total miles on engine?
Previous oil and oci?

Thanks!

1989 Toyota Supra Turbo 142k miles, I'm probably around 320 hp to the wheels right now.
Driving habits would be fairly aggressive as this is my fun car. Currently I have 20W50 Castrol Syntec but thought about going a tad thinner.

I'd say the 10w40 for the extra HTHS.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I'd be glad to help.

What car?
What OCI?
Driving habits?
Total miles on engine?
Previous oil and oci?

Thanks!

Driving habits would be fairly aggressive as this is my fun car. Currently I have 20W50 Castrol Syntec but thought about going a tad thinner.

I'd say the 10w40 for the extra HTHS.

HTHS? What's that?

I agree the 10W-40 would be OK, but take a look at this for at least the summer:

Amsoil RD50

The other ones you listed are not recommended by me. If you want to go into 30 in the winter, then RD30 or HDD 5W-30 are good.

I agree the 10W-40 would be OK, but take a look at this for at least the summer:

Amsoil RD50

The other ones you listed are not recommended by me. If you want to go into 30 in the winter, then RD30 or HDD 5W-30 are good.

Could you possibly elaborate on the Dominator 15W50? If I'm going to spend that much, I want to know why! lol

Amsoil RD50

Could you possibly elaborate on the Dominator 15W50? If I'm going to spend that much, I want to know why! lol

It's right there in the product description.
Going to provide better protection for those high load/shock moments of aggressive driving and/or racing better than some of the others. If you're really driving/racing pretty hard, of course.

Last edited:
I still think the answers in the sticky should be answered. We do not know how long he drives when he does drive it. We dont know the modifications that have been done to get this power. We dont know oil pressures or temps and are recommending a 50wt oil? Not that it probably would not be good for his app I just think there should be more info provided. IMHO

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

Amsoil RD50

It's right there in the product description.
Going to provide better protection for those high load/shock moments of aggressive driving and/or racing better than some of the others. If you're really driving/racing pretty hard, of course.

Don't the racing oils have less detergents? I drive my car alot, it's not a track car or anything, it's definitely a street car.

Last edited:
this guy swears by it

durka-crandon10-3698.jpg
TORC_vv1307.jpg

Don't the racing oils have less detergents? I drive my car alot, it's not a track car or anything, it's definitely a street car.

Not really less, but definitely not the oil for extended drains. Fine for many street cars until 10K or so.

Not really less, but definitely not the oil for extended drains. Fine for many street cars until 10K or so.

So then why would you recommend it over the standard Amsoil oils?

So then why would you recommend it over the standard Amsoil oils?

I don't think you've made us aware that what you're going for is extended intervals.
It is still going to be "extended" compared to many other oils, including what you'd be switching from...

Quote:
Driving habits would be fairly aggressive as this is my fun car.

The oil is a great street oil for hard driven cars. I think with a turbo car and driving style, you won't be doing extended oil changes. The nice thing - even for a 50 with heavy film properties at high turbo temps, it has great flow properties at ambient start temps.

Quote:
Driving habits would be fairly aggressive as this is my fun car.

The oil is a great street oil for hard driven cars. I think with a turbo car and driving style, you won't be doing extended oil changes. The nice thing - even for a 50 with heavy film properties at high turbo temps, it has great flow properties at ambient start temps.

That's what I was most worried about. Cold start flow and protection.

I change my oil every 3-5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back