Amsoil OE 5w30 - 7,022 - 1998 Toyota Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy

The XL, which is a step above OE, should make the 10k OCI doable.

Seeing the 7k results of the OE line, isn't it safe to say that the OE can last 10k in my conditions?

Not sure that there is enough TBN and definitely not without seeing TAN. Because of the normal high mileage bearing wear, I'd only use the OE for 7.5k miles and not more.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not sure that there is enough TBN and definitely not without seeing TAN. Because of the normal high mileage bearing wear, I'd only use the OE for 7.5k miles and not more.

Can you link to any hard driven high mileage uoas with high bearing wear? I've always noticed good running high mileage cars shed very little metal in the uoas here.

I'm sure my particular bearing wear could be the result of EXTREMELY short driving distances on a daily basis for YEARS. I'm talking 2-3 miles a minimum of twice a day where the engine doesn't even reach operating temps and gets turned off.

It was also used as a pizza delivery vehicle for 2 years and roughly 40,000 miles. You can all imagine the driving conditions of a pizza delivery vehicle... a minimum of 45 starts per shift.

During the winter, the engine cools off to practically Cold start between runs.

Having seen the [censored] this car went through since we bought it new in 97, i'm pretty happy that it made it to 200k and still runs great!

The bearing wear is concerning but i'm perfectly happy with this recent UOA at 7k and do plan to keep pushing that up to the limit.

I think even with 10k OCIs i can expect another 100k worth of efficient engine operation before wear rates skyrockets and the inevitable will happen, SLUDGE buildup, in this particular engine.

Thoughts?

i did food delivery about 10 years ago in boston with an '87 caprice w/ 305. I would leave the engine running all night unless is was too shady of an area and lock the doors and keep the door key with me. I wish I knew about UOAs then, could have been interesting.

Yea i would it running if i was in front of a nice house, in a safe neighborhood, as well as in front of the store while running in to grab the next order... i'm sure the constant idling wasn't good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back