2019 Toyota Highlander 3.5 V6 2GR-FKS, 24.3k mi; Amsoil XL 0W20, 6.4k mi

This fill was in from July 2, 2022 until April 1, 2023. One 900 mile round trip to Savannah Georgia. The rest was mostly short trips of 3-5 miles and some longer runs on rural highways. It also see's a lot of idling while waiting in line to pick up the grandkids at school. Overall, I'm pleased with the results. The copper is a tick high but, I'm not concerned. I used the Toyota OE filter. Current fill is Amsoil SS 0W20 with Toyota OE filter.
Screenshot 2023-04-18 164531.png

Other than copper it appears to be a good report on the 0w-20. Is this the viscosity you're going to stick with?

This fill was in from July 2, 2022 until April 1, 2023. One 900 mile round trip to Savannah Georgia. The rest was mostly short trips of 3-5 miles and some longer runs on rural highways. It also see's a lot of idling while waiting in line to pick up the grandkids at school. Overall, I'm pleased with the results. The copper is a tick high but, I'm not concerned. I used the Toyota OE filter. Current fill is Amsoil SS 0W20 with Toyota OE filter.
.View attachment 151324
Very nice run and oci combo. Oil starting to thin but tbn very good.

I'd run a 5w30 and see how it does

Never cared for the chain/guide/tensioner/vvt wear/tear that I've seen with the thin oils with Toyota.

Those 3-5 mile trips could be considered severe or special service. I wouldn't push the interval and further either.

Never cared for the chain/guide/tensioner/vvt wear/tear that I've seen with the thin oils with Toyota.

Those 3-5 mile trips could be considered severe or special service. I wouldn't push the interval and further either.
Yeah, my wife makes a lot of short trips. It’s not unusual for her to make a short trip and then the vehicle sit for two days. I think that the Amsoil handled it well. I agree with not pushing the interval any further.

Pardon my ignorance but it appears the viscosity at 100C & 210F are on the higher end of the range values so I don't think it's thinning at all.

Pardon my ignorance but it appears the viscosity at 100C & 210F are on the higher end of the range values so I don't think it's thinning at all.
O.K. I can do that. The oil starts at about 8.50 vis at 100 and now it's down to 7.95. Sooo, the oil is thinning.

I’m not sure how much I’d believe when it comes to viscosity and flash point in regards to that report. Lots of short trips definitely lead to fuel dilution however.

Fuel dilution looks minimal and these engines are easy on the oil, report looks good. But I'm always willing to use a 30 grade for timing chain protection if I'm owning it for 150k or more.

Fuel dilution looks minimal and these engines are easy on the oil, report looks good. But I'm always willing to use a 30 grade for timing chain protection if I'm owning it for 150k or more.
The problem is that from that particular analysis you have no idea what the fuel dilution may or may not be.

Its a 2gr... how often do we see fuel in the 3.5L 2gr or sibling 1gr 4.0?
Its not common like Hyundai theta2 GDI with 300-350F flashpoint and 1-5% fuel.

Fuel is a nothing burger here and, in general, with the engine family, unless it was a hybrid that doesn't warm up. Is this a hybrid?

The UOA doesn't even show the short tripping too much and says much about why some love/hate Toyota. Its a ****good engine and will last a long time with sensible intervals and quality oil. I just prefer thicker(running 5w40 and 10w40 in my 2 2gr's) for my Florida climate. TN doesn't get too cold for too long so a 5w30 10w30 are perfectly acceptable year round, as are the 0w40's. I don't go any further than 5k on my engines. Spelled any correctly this time.

Even the 0w20's will allow the engine to run fine probably longer than what most owners keep their vehicle.

The problem is that from that particular analysis you have no idea what the fuel dilution may or may not be.
True but the viscosity drop plus minor oxidation after 6k results in it being a tad below VOA but not by much. I'd say 2-3% not <.5 like bs says. It's clearly more but not a ton more. But the oil isn't watered down to 4cst like some UOA's have shown. But it doesn't matter too much to know the exact dilution as the report isn't in shambles. The metals are low enough to be of no concern. Viscosity is fine even if it's off by some degree from testing inaccuracy so i wouldn't be afraid of keeping that 0w-20 in.

True but the viscosity drop plus minor oxidation after 6k results in it being a tad below VOA but not by much. I'd say 2-3% not
I do not trust their viscosity numbers either. Maybe that’s just me. We’ve certainly seen that particular analysis laboratory to be wildly inaccurate in terms of fuel dilution.

I also would not take a cheap spectrographic analysis as my indication that all is well with fuel dilution either. But again, that might just be me.

Its a 2gr... how often do we see fuel in the 3.5L 2gr or sibling 1gr 4.0?
Its not common like Hyundai theta2 GDI with 300-350F flashpoint and 1-5% fuel.

Fuel is a nothing burger here and, in general, with the engine family, unless it was a hybrid that doesn't warm up. Is this a hybrid?

The UOA doesn't even show the short tripping too much and says much about why some love/hate Toyota. Its a ****good engine and will last a long time with sensible intervals and quality oil. I just prefer thicker(running 5w40 and 10w40 in my 2 2gr's) for my Florida climate. TN doesn't get too cold for too long so a 5w30 10w30 are perfectly acceptable year round, as are the 0w40's. I don't go any further than 5k on my engines. Spelled any correctly this time.

Even the 0w20's will allow the engine to run fine probably longer than what most owners keep their vehicle.
Not a hybrid.

I may look at running 5W30 when the power train warranty expires. I don’t want to wander too far from the Toyota requirements until then. I appreciate all of the feedback!

Back