amsoil for diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you look at the UOA's in the Diesel section, I think you will be impressed. This is Amsoil's best oil IMO and many others. It has the strongest additive package available. It compares to D1, although I think D1 is better. It's a great oil. All of the high end diesel oils will have the most robust additive packages, from what I've seen anyway. It comes down to availability. Schaeffer's makes a great diesel oil too.

[ May 30, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

My Pilot,

I agree fully with Buster. Amsoil S3000 5W-30 and Delvac 1 5W-40 have proven through oil analysis to be top of the heap in diesel engines. You asked specifically in another thread about cummins engines, it has been shown that most of the well known diesel oils perform superbly in this engine. It has more to do with the engine being so outstanding, therefore it doesn't need the best oil as a crutch. That being said, if you go with the Amsoil or Delvac 1 you will have great results.

[ May 30, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: nicrfe1370 ]

I have used Amsoils 10W-40 in my TDI diesel and was not overly impressed. My engine seems to run smoother with Delvac-1. I am going to relegate the Amsoil to my gas powered vehicle and stick with the Delvac-1 for the diesel.

One thing that I do notice exclusively with the Amsoil 10W-40 is that the whistle sound from the turbocharger is much louder. I have no idea whether this is good or bad.

Amsoil 15W-40 (AMS) HD marine and diesel oil is a pretty darn good oil.

Is your question directed at the diesel oils used in all applications or gasoline oils used in diesels?

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I have used Amsoils 10W-40 in my TDI diesel and was not overly impressed. My engine seems to run smoother with Delvac-1.

Do you always run the same fuel/additives?

It sure seems like fuel would have a lot more impact on "smoothness" than any difference between Amsoil 10W-40 and Delvac 1.

Tim

Yes Tim, I have over 4 years of pattern driving with my car. The trend is set and there is a noticeable difference between the two oils. I'm not saying that the Amsoil is bad but I feel that there are better fluids for my particular application.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I'm not saying that the Amsoil is bad but I feel that there are better fluids for my particular application.

Do you run under unique conditions that enables you to feel the difference between these two oils? I only have 7000 miles on my TDi and if there is a better oil than the Amsoil 10W-40 that I'm using, I'd rather switch sooner than later...

Or maybe my application is drastically different from yours and it won't matter? I drive mostly highway at under 70mph.

Tim

Tim, my conditions aren't unique at all. I have 110,000 miles on my car due mainly to my 50 mile per day commute. My mileage is nearly all highway miles at speeds over 70 MPH. Since the TDI delivers 50 MPG my Golf gets designated for nearly all road trips. The car lives in the garage when it isn't doing transport duty. You can definitely hear a difference between the two oils when you do a cold start inside of the garage. All sounds are amplified.

I have been running B-20 biodiesel (WVO) for nearly 3 years and this is my only additive. Just judging from appearances I believe that the Delvac-1 does a better job of suspending soot in the oil. The Delvac seems to keep the visible metal parts cleaner.

I honestly believe that you'd never ever have a single problem from using the Amsoil. If you have a reliable and friendly source for the oil then you're fortunate. However, since I have used these two oils exclusively over the past 4 years I am simply posting my observations and not trying to sway anybody one way or the other. If I could make changes then i'd drop the price of both products by 15% and make them more accessible to the consumer.

[ May 31, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Mypilot69,

I've had excellent user reports of the Amsoil 15w-40 in the 5.9L Cummins engine, so that would be my primary recommendation. I'd suggest testing the oil and changing oil filters every 5000-6000 miles. This engine burns very clean and soot loading is rarely an issue. Depending on the severity of driving conditions you should be able to run drain intervals of 15,000-20,000 miles with very low wear rates.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to contact me offline.

TooSlick

anybody know of a good oil filter for the cummins turbo diesel (i,e) k&n?
lol.gif

I would recommend the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter for the 5.9 Cummins ISB. That's what I use. It's available online from genosgarage for around $8.75 ea. plus shipping. Fleetguard is actually a Cummins owned company.

I'm currently running amsoil 15W-40 in my baby Cummins, but plan on trying Delvac 1 this coming winter.(No "club fee" involved buying this stuff)

Fleetguard oil filters for cummins . probably depends on the oil change interval which would be the best. the only way to tell would be an expensive partical test.

You can loose your warrantee running the wrong filter in a Cummins. Only a few are specifically approved according to a recent TSB. Stick with Fleetguard. The Stratapore model is comparable to the Amsoil filter in efficiency. Amsoil is not on the approved list.

I have used both 5W-40 Delvac-1 and 15W-40 Amsoil HDD in my Cummins and seen similar wear metal numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
This is Amsoil's best oil IMO and many others. It has the strongest additive package available. It compares to D1, although I think D1 is better.

Have you compared the oils specs?

Delvac-1 5w-40 pour point = -49F / -45C
Amsoil 15w-40 pour point = -47F / -44C
Amsoil 10w-40 pour point = -54F / -48C
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 Pour Point = -60F / -51C

Delvac-1 5w-40 flash point is 439F / 226C
Amsoil 15w-40 flash point is 453F / 234C
Amsoil 10w-40 flash point = 450F / 232C
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 Flash Point = 446F / 230C

Delvac-1 NOACK = 13%
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 NOACK = 8.6%
Amsoil 10w-40 NOACK = 7%
Amsoil 15w-40 NOACK = 6.7%

The ASTM D-5800 (NOACK) is a widely accepted method of measuring volatility. Originally developed and used in Europe, the NOACK test determines how much weight loss an oil experiences through volatilization.

Volatilization is the term used to describe what happens to a fluid as it is heated to the point it begins to "boil off." Upon reaching a certain temperature, oil will begin to lose some of its lighter weight molecules as they "boil off" and leave heavier weight molecules behind. Not only does this cause higher oil consumption, this process can also cause increased viscosity making the oil more difficult to circulate through the lubrication system.

In the NOACK test the oil is heated to 482F/250C for one hour. The lighter oil fractions will "boil-off," leading eventually to oil consumption, oil thickening and a loss of performance. The test reports results in the percentage, by weight, lost due to "boil-off." European standards limit high quality oils to a maximum of 13 percent loss.

Bottom line, the lower the volatility, the less chance of oil consumption.

[ June 14, 2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: TexasTDI ]

Blano,

To answer your question, yes they are typically higher for a wide range synthetic. For example, the Amsoil 0w-40 has a Noack of 11.6%.

Small differences of 1-2 points in this test really aren't relevant....

BTW, the info that was posted is somewhat outdated, but that's another story.

TooSlick

quote:

Have you compared the oils specs?

Yeah, have you? You posted incorect specs. Mobil's base stocks for this oil are of the highest quality available. D1 has a very strong additive package and has a HT/HS of 4.1. I think S3000 is excellent too but specs. don't tell me that it's better. I got news for you too, NOAK differences of 1-3% don't make all that much of a difference, if at all. D1 being a 40wt might be less consuming then S3k being a 30wt depending on the engine. Pour Point is -65F and Flash is 446, same as S3k.
wink.gif

Mobil Delvac 1
Typical Characteristics
Product Number 44111-3
SAE Grade 5W-40
Gravity, API 32.3
Pour Point, °C (°F) -54 (-65)
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °C (°F) 230 (446)
Viscosity
cSt at 40° C
cSt at 100° C
SUS at 100° F
SUS at 210° F
Cranking Viscosity,
cP at -25° C
Pumping Viscosity,
cP at -35° C
Borderline Pumping Temperature, °C -44
HT/HS, cP at 150° C 4.1
Viscosity Index 167
Sulfated Ash, wt % 1.3
TBN, ASTM D 2896 11
Color, ASTM D 1500 5

[ June 14, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

I hate to nitpick, but those are the specs for the older, CH-4 version of Delvac 1. Never the less, it's an excellent product.

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back