Amsoil filter sizes for 2002 Formula LS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. Great stuff so far.

What AMSOIL filter sizes are appropriate for a 2002 Firebird Formula F-Body LS1?

The guide calls out a SDF 32.

Is there a larger size that is still safe (won't impact ground depris) to use?

SDF 30? Or is that too long?

The SDF 64 is the one you want, this cross references to the PF59 which is the longer filter. When I had my 98 LS1 Formula I ran the UPF58 or the Mobil 1 M1-206, both of them the long ones. No problems at all, even with the car being lowered.

I now have a C5 Corvette though, so I need to run the shorter stock sized filters. I'm running a K&N HP1007.

I have a 2002 TA and have been using the SDF32 with Amsoil 10W-30 PAO. My current oil has been in since last October, has about 6,000 miles on it and is as clean looking as the new oil. In my opinion the larger size filter (SDF64) will be of negligible value. I have both because I have a 5.3L truck engine so I could have used either but chose to stick with the size GM recommended to avoid any clearance issues, I drove over a muffler last week that I could not avoid, I guess the other had hit it before me as it could easily has done some damage under the car but the tires took most of the hit and survived. You do not want the oil filter hanging below the pan on the low clearance cars and the SDF64/PF59 are too close for my comfort. My 2cents.

SDF 30 13/16 x 16 OIL FILTER THREAD DIMENSIONS

SDF 32 HEIGHT 3.494"
SDF 30 HEIGHT 4.844"
SDF 22 HEIGHT 4.336"

ALL 3 HAVE A 7-9 PSID DRAINBACK VALVE

HOPE THIS HELPS
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
I have a 2002 TA and have been using the SDF32 with Amsoil 10W-30 PAO. My current oil has been in since last October, has about 6,000 miles on it and is as clean looking as the new oil. In my opinion the larger size filter (SDF64) will be of negligible value.

For those that drive very hard though, the longer filter will provide better oil flow. The stock LS1 oil filter is ridiculously small, so going bigger will definitely provide better oil flow under full throttle conditions.

Do not use an SDF22, it is not a match for the SDF32 and SDF64. The can is larger in diameter and the mounting gasket I.D. is smaller. It is not designed for this application.

The SDF22 has no GM applications, its for 1980's era American Motors vehicles, Eagle etc.

I use an extended on my 01 ss, and its longer than a pf-58 or pf-58

its a fram ph3429 equivalent, I have some castrol maxpros left over, but once they run out I will once again use the regular extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back