Amsoil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 03 Silverado 5.3 and I plan to try Amsoil out. I have some S2000 0-w30 and two filters that I ordered through a dealer. After I looked online the amsoil site says for the 03 5.3 I should have the SDF 32 filter. What I was given was the SDF 64 filters which appear to be for an 02 and prior 5.3 engines. Should I exchange them or will I be ok running them? I know it will fit, but what other differences could there be?

From Baldwin xref

SDF32 (equivalent)

PART NUMBER: B31

Descriptions : Microlite Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
Fits : AMC, GM Automotive, Light-Duty Trucks, Vans
Replaces : GMC 25010251
Thread : 13/16-16
O.D. : 3 (76.2)
Length : 3 1/2 (88.9)
I.Gskt : G449-B

SDF64 (also shows the above number - PLUS)

PART NUMBER: B1432

Descriptions : Microlite Lube Spin-on
Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
Fits : Chevrolet, GMC Light-Duty Trucks
Replaces : GMC 25014748
Thread : 13/16-16
O.D. : 3 (76.2)
Length : 4 3/32 (104.0)
I.Gskt : G449-B

Same gasket and can diameter ..slightly longer (15mm).

I am using the SDF 64 on my 04 GMC 5.3L for 2 yrs now and used them on my 99 and 01 GMC.

The SDF32 and SDF64 are identical except for length so there is no problem using them.

The reason for the SDF32 was GM changed to the smaller filter in 03, why no one really knows. But its common for them to consolidate filter models to save on inventory costs.

-

The 32 size was being used in the Corvette, Camaro, Firebird LS1's (5.7L all aluminum engine) and others which are the same engine design as in the trucks. Those cars ride low to the ground. Some owners have still used the 64, but I was hesitant to on my Trans Am because it hung a tad lower then the pan and was out in the open should you hit something, which I did on the Tri-State Tollway around Chicago a few years back, one of the worst road the US to drive from Milwaukee to the Indiana state line.

I have owned GM vehicles dating back to 1963, so I know a little more about them then other makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back