Amsoil Experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your insight. The car is out of warranty. I'm looking for the "best" oil for it (2018 M240i, pictured).
BMWs are nice vehicles, many of them special. Let's just say that if I could afford one, I'd have one. But I can't complain, as we've been blessed with decent vehicles.

Many BMW enthusiasts use Red Line fluids throughout the car. I just bought all the driveline fluids except for the transmission from Red Line (0W-20 oil, 75W-90 gear oil, C+ ATF for the transfer case) for my Durango GT Plus. Many folks who work at Red Line are BMW enthusiasts. I would look no further and just use their products for your BMW. I doubt you can do any better than Red Line. Yes, there are other premium brands like Ravenol that make very good products for European vehicles. But Red Line is much easier to get and performs very well. AMSOIL is geared more towards folks who just want to maintain their vehicles and get the most out of them. Don't get me wrong, AMSOIL makes very good products, but they don't target the enthusiast niche, Red Line does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. Under normal acceleration the engine will lug between 40-45 mph. I’ve used Valvoline synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Amsoil XL and Amsoil OE. I did Blackstone oil analysis on Valvoline and XL. The wear metals were close with the Amsoil being slightly better. However, I have noticed that with both Amsoil products the engine rarely lugs and when it does, it’s very light and hardly noticeable. It’s very noticeable with the other products.

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. Under normal acceleration the engine will lug between 40-45 mph. I’ve used Valvoline synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Amsoil XL and Amsoil OE. I did Blackstone oil analysis on Valvoline and XL. The wear metals were close with the Amsoil being slightly better. However, I have noticed that with both Amsoil products the engine rarely lugs and when it does, it’s very light and hardly noticeable. It’s very noticeable with the other products.
Not doubting your observations, but it is difficult to find a technical explanation for what you observed.

I don’t think it has much to do with the oil you’re using. Those vehicles between 40-45 mph are constantly going in and out of torque converter engagement, causing that lugging sensation you mention. That, and it also is going from V4-V8 mode, especially at light cruising speeds between 30-50 mph.

High Performance Lubricants also makes some very good looking Euro and Supercar oils, if you're looking into boutique oils. I'm looking at trying some once my Walmart clearance QSFS Euro stash is done.

Except for AMSOIL Signatute Series, the other oils (OE/XL) are cookie-cutter formulations meant for API licensing. Conclusively, they're not better or worse than any other oil.

You can't infer wear from a UOA. All that a UOA is showing you is the oil's ability to dissolve and absorb metal particles. Some oils like Red Line are better at it than others, meaning that they will show higher "wear". Does that make them worse? Absolutely not. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that you can judge an oil by it's UOA. You can't.

If you want that extra something in performance from your engine then run Mobil 1 EP, AMSOIL Signature Series, Red Line Oil, or High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus.

Finally, disable AFM on your engine and see if you still experience that lugging sensation.

Although I don't really know for sure, I would venture to guess just an updated label. I have two jugs of the XL 0W20 and they are the ones posted in the second picture
Me Too. I just happened to look in cabinet today at the remains (2) 4qt jugs in the shop of an order dated Oct 2021. Those (2) those bottles are the ones from the 2nd photo (Boo!sted). Must be their Halloween packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back