Amsoil Experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I know that the Amsoil XL is a step below the Sig. Series. What is the difference between these two XL Jugs? Just upgraded labeling/marketing? Different additive package?

01313_2q2Eqqmp7DIz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
157314955_821094378753430_1316248479934903520_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I don't really know for sure, I would venture to guess just an updated label. I have two jugs of the XL 0W20 and they are the ones posted in the second picture

Clearly, somebody has slapped forced induction of some kind on the bottom bottle. Must have a turbo or supercharger hidden there somewhere, lol.
The OE and XL lines are more than likely vanilla Lubrizol formulations. The Signature Series is their best oil, where AMSOIL puts some effort and R&D into making it. The SS is good stuff. The rest is meh. Mobil 1 EP would be a superior choice to XL or OE. I believe we talked about this before in a private discussion.

Unlike many other brands, Amsoil does not hide their technical specifications. I admit to being an unapologetic Amsoil user, but you do NOT have to "login." All you have to do is Google Amsoil>shop>gasoline motor oil>5W30>view detail page>technical specifications>download the data bulletins and the data is there for the world to criticize.
I did this for what you have illustrated, but I cannot find the "plain" XL. Are you picturing an older container by chance?
The "boosted" is here: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:7dadeb8d-231a-3203-a043-b21b6ad727a5

Unlike many other brands, Amsoil does not hide their technical specifications. I admit to being an unapologetic Amsoil user, but you do NOT have to "login." All you have to do is Google Amsoil>shop>gasoline motor oil>5W30>view detail page>technical specifications>download the data bulletins and the data is there for the world to criticize.
I did this for what you have illustrated, but I cannot find the "plain" XL. Are you picturing an older container by chance?
The "boosted" is here: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:7dadeb8d-231a-3203-a043-b21b6ad727a5
What is your opinion on Amsoil's European oils?

What is your opinion on Amsoil's European oils?
I know you didn't ask me this question. However, I wanted to share what I know: AMSOIL's European oils are cookie-cutter Lubrizol formulations. If you want to use them, strictly stick to those that have OEM approvals for your intended application. If you want something *better* for an older Euro engine, I would use Red Line Oil. If your vehicle is under warranty, stick to the OEM recommended oil. AMSOIL's m.o. seems to be quality base oils for their Signature Series and higher amounts of anti-wear additives and more friction reducers. For everything else they make they play it safe and go *by the book*, or in their case, Lubrizol formulations. I use their products, and just got my first delivery of SS 0W-20 for my wife's jeep. I also used AMSOIL Severe Gear in my RAM 1500 and AMSOIL ATL (blue cap ATF) in the ZF 8 Speed with great results. They make quality products without being as expensive as OEM fluids. I hope this bit of info helps you somewhat in making an informed decision.

Have no clue.
You have to learn to read the Important stuff on the jug - not the marketing baloney.

Read the back and see if it says "API SP/ILSAC GF-6A" or something similar.

ILSAC** is a group of car manufacturers requirements (Asia and North America)
for specifying testing and licensing Motor Oil which include SAE, ASTM and the API.

See the API Certified Starburst on the front of the jug? There should be a double circle on the back with the
committee standards and specs your Amsoil meets

Now you have a "clue" :) Take a look and report back

Save this thread from the hijackers

- Ken

You have to learn to read the Important stuff on the jug - not the marketing baloney.

Read the back and see if it says "API SP/ILSAC GF-6A" or something similar.

ILSAC** is a group of car manufacturers requirements (Asian and North America)
for specifying testing and licensing Motor Oil which include SAE, ASTM and the API.

See the API Certified Starburst on the front of the jug? There should be a double circle on the back with the
committee standards and specs your Amsoil meets

Now you have a "clue" :) Take a look and report back

- Ken

But the labeling says Boosted !

Crowley, dang you!
Wait, what? o_O

But the labeling says Boosted !
They're trying to say that the formulation is boosted, probably over their own OE motor oil, and competing products.

The way I look at it:
  1. AMSOIL SS = Mobil 1 EP
  2. AMSOIL XL = Quaker State
  3. AMSOIL OE = Supertech
There really isn't any good reason to buy any motor oil made by AMSOIL except their Signature Series. That one is good stuff, the rest is ... meh.

I know you didn't ask me this question. However, I wanted to share what I know: AMSOIL's European oils are cookie-cutter Lubrizol formulations. If you want to use them, strictly stick to those that have OEM approvals for your intended application. If you want something *better* for an older Euro engine, I would use Red Line Oil. If your vehicle is under warranty, stick to the OEM recommended oil. AMSOIL's m.o. seems to be quality base oils for their Signature Series and higher amounts of anti-wear additives and more friction reducers. For everything else they make they play it safe and go *by the book*, or in their case, Lubrizol formulations.
Be careful, the mafia might be coming for you. You don’t want to receive a cease and desist letter.

Last edited:
I know you didn't ask me this question. However, I wanted to share what I know: AMSOIL's European oils are cookie-cutter Lubrizol formulations. If you want to use them, strictly stick to those that have OEM approvals for your intended application. If you want something *better* for an older Euro engine, I would use Red Line Oil. If your vehicle is under warranty, stick to the OEM recommended oil. AMSOIL's m.o. seems to be quality base oils for their Signature Series and higher amounts of anti-wear additives and more friction reducers. For everything else they make they play it safe and go *by the book*, or in their case, Lubrizol formulations. I use their products, and just got my first delivery of SS 0W-20 for my wife's jeep. I also used AMSOIL Severe Gear in my RAM 1500 and AMSOIL ATL (blue cap ATF) in the ZF 8 Speed with great results. They make quality products without being as expensive as OEM fluids. I hope this bit of info helps you somewhat in making an informed decision.
Thanks for your insight. The car is out of warranty. I'm looking for the "best" oil for it (2018 M240i, pictured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back