AMSOIL EaO11 - 2019 RAM 1500 5.7L - 11,144km

Yeah, but they have been in the wicking stage since 2019 ... šŸ˜„
eh, these kinds of photos are cool/interesting but I don't put a lot of weight on them proving anything w/r to cleaning. Really need some UOAs here on the before/after etc. About all I have ever seen in my filters was some aluminum from when my timing chain tensioner left the chat :ROFLMAO: This stuff is a bit like what PF does......

eh, these kinds of photos are cool/interesting but I don't put a lot of weight on them proving anything w/r to cleaning. Really need some UOAs here on the before/after etc. About all I have ever seen in my filters was some aluminum from when my timing chain tensioner left the chat :ROFLMAO: This stuff is a bit like what PF does......
Wicking all the oil out of the media helps see any visible debris better. IMO, it's worth doing to see what's been caught - it's not meant for anything else really. I always "wick dry" my cut open filters, but only for a few days.

Wicking all the oil out of the media helps see any visible debris better. IMO, it's worth doing to see what's been caught - it's not meant for anything else really. I always "wick dry" my cut open filters, but only for a few days.
Not several months? LOL!

I mean, the carbonaceous crud has to come from somewhere. If you weren't getting it before and you started getting it, clearly, it's being liberated from somewhere in the engine. No, it's not an in-depth tear-down to determine the source, mass and type of deposits, but I'm quite confident that it shows something new, and, a bit unnerving if I'm being honest.

M1 0W-40 liberated similar goop, though more coarse, from my Expedition (for many OCI's), which had spent its life on dealer bulk prior to our ownership. However, the Modular is a much cleaner running engine than the HEMI is.

UOA was submitted, but UPS has told me it got damaged in shipping, so I'm concerned we won't get to see it :(

I know when the drying is well into the asymptotic wicking curve near the completion stage. šŸ˜„
What do you think of its current status? I changed the paper towel last night, the filter in question is on the left, latest filter is on the right:
8305564F-9432-4B2A-82E4-55FD0B2F4B00_1_105_c.jpeg

What do you think of its current status? I changed the paper towel last night, the filter in question is on the left, latest filter is on the right:
View attachment 136104
How long has each been wicking? The left one is obvioulsy further along. How many layers of paper towel are you using ... I go for around 3 or 4 layers for "holding capacity" and more "wicking power", lol

M1 0W-40 liberated similar goop, though more coarse, from my Expedition (for many OCI's), which had spent its life on dealer bulk prior to our ownership. However, the Modular is a much cleaner running engine than the HEMI is.
I saw a bit of the same goop running 0-40 in my Lexus - a dollop on the bottom of the filter can...

Last edited:
How long has each been wicking? The left one is obvioulsy further along. How many layers of paper towel are you using ... I go for around 3 or 4 layers for "holding capacity" and more "wicking power", lol
The one on the left had the paper towel changed last night around the time I created this thread, same with the one on the right. One on the left has 2 layers, one on the right has 6 layers.

The one on the left is the one that's had the paper towel changed like 6 or 8 times, lol.

The one on the left had the paper towel changed last night around the time I created this thread, same with the one on the right. One on the left has 2 layers, one on the right has 6 layers.

The one on the left is the one that's had the paper towel changed like 6 or 8 times, lol.
Yeah, OG Ultras and similar filters hold a lot of oil in the media. Think my last OG Ultra was left wicking for a week to 10 days tops, and I changed the paper towel (6+ layers) about 4 times. That level got enough oil out to see what was on the media surface pretty well. Use a 10x magnifying glass under strong light to make the visual inspection experience even better, lol.

Forgot to say ... use way more rubber bands to get the paper towel to clamp down well over the whole media surface. The filer on the left isn't wicking well by the end caps.

Found said similar goop in old vid.

3MZFE/ M1 0w40/ 15K FCI & 2 7500 OCI's

Steady diet of it for prior 50K of it at similar intervals.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 8.00.17 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 8.00.17 PM.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
Forgot to say ... use way more rubber bands to get the paper towel to clamp down well over the whole media surface. The filer on the left isn't wicking well by the end caps.
I had more on but I've run out of bands, so that's what I've got left at the moment, lol.

Iā€™m surprised to see sludge in a low-mileage, well maintained engine!
I mean, what else is it??

Iā€™m surprised to see sludge in a low-mileage, well maintained engine!
I mean, what else is it??
It's not sludge, it's fine carbonaceous grit that accumulated in the filter and appears to have formed a bit of a "paste". It's like soot, but the particles are larger if that helps with the visual? The picture on my finger should give you an idea of the consistency, it's like a light grease.

Recall that the purpose of detergents and dispersants are to prevent agglomeration and plating out and ensuring that this sort of material gets to the filter, which certainly happened here. I suspect that this settled in the filter, after being caught by the media, and accumulated at the bottom where there's no flow. I assume a lot more of it, the even finer stuff, is embedded in the media.

It's not sludge, it's fine carbonaceous grit that accumulated in the filter and appears to have formed a bit of a "paste". It's like soot, but the particles are larger if that helps with the visual? The picture on my finger should give you an idea of the consistency, it's like a light grease.
Awesome work. Just proves that even when using a collectively-judged ā€œreally goodā€ oil that there are still constraints (material choices driven by target shelf price) that leaves a market available for those willing to formulate using the absolute best materials, and those willing to pay for it get to benefit.

Man, think of how great it would be to be able to take two brand new engines/vehicles and put them through Mobilā€™s 500k mile test- one with Mobil 1 EP and one with HPL SuperCar (or even No-VII!) of the mfr specā€™d weight, and then do Mobilā€™s requisite disassembly, measurement, and grading. And yes, I know itā€™s not completely a fair fight because Mobil is working under meeting a given engine spec and a price point, whereas all stops are pulled for HPL. Oh, to dreamā€¦šŸ¤£

Recall that the purpose of detergents and dispersants are to prevent agglomeration and plating out and ensuring that this sort of material gets to the filter, which certainly happened here. I suspect that this settled in the filter, after being caught by the media, and accumulated at the bottom where there's no flow. I assume a lot more of it, the even finer stuff, is embedded in the media.
Are you thinking this is coming from the ring lands ?

Iā€™m still surprised M1EP allowed this much ā€˜muckā€™ to be cleaned out by the HPL, again on a well-maintained, low mileage engine.
If this happened on an engine with 110k miles of bulk Dino, wouldnā€™t think anything of it.

Back