Amsoil CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Castrol CVT in the 15, no difference from what I can tell. Highly doubt Amsoil would be worse than OEM fluid. Probably even cheaper too.

Take a look at your owner's manual: It is very specific that Honda CVT fluid is required. Amsoil may be equivalent or better, but why give Honda an opportunity to be difficult about a warranty claim?

Castrol and Valvoline also make good CVT fluid at a good price.

Amsoil is probably good too, but it costs more than the dealer
crazy2.gif

I would use OEM CVT fluid while you are under warranty as Amsoil doesn't offer a licensed CVT fluid in their OE series as they do for other transmissions. Is it a great fluid, sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to use in your case unless you are ok with the possibility of a warranty denial should something go wrong, you are covered by Amsoil's warranty though.

Just change the Honda fluid more regularly and then switch over to the CVT formula from Amsoil at the end of your warranty. Honda's current CVT's aren't known to be problematic like the early Nissan ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
As others have stated, since it is new get the Honda fluid; I believe it is HC-2.
I serviced Accords; it is easy.

Is it basically a drain and fill? Measure what comes out? I'm not due yet but planning ahead, lol.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
As others have stated, since it is new get the Honda fluid; I believe it is HC-2.

Is it basically a drain and fill? Measure what comes out? I'm not due yet but planning ahead, lol.

Yeah, kinda spill and fill.
I believe the Accords are not as pickey as some other cars.
Use what came out as a baseline; I forget how much but I think it was about 3 quarts.
There is a check bolt to remove for proper level.
Youtube is your friend; go for it!
Good luck and have fun with it.

I have done a 17. If your is FWD, 4 quarts is what you need. Do the service when the trans is HOT. Drain the fluid, add 4 quarts thru the rubber plug, and start the engine. Shift thru all gear positions, then shut off the engine and remove the check plug. At this point, only a few ounces should drain out from the check plug. The fluid level check needs to be performed at normal operating temp, so it is best to start hot and work quickly.

Originally Posted by Danh
Take a look at your owner's manual: It is very specific that Honda CVT fluid is required. Amsoil may be equivalent or better, but why give Honda an opportunity to be difficult about a warranty claim?

My only put would be, how are they going to tell the difference and how would they link a potential failure to Amsoil's CVT fluid?

Originally Posted by MolaKule

My only put would be, how are they going to tell the difference and how would they link a potential failure to Amsoil's CVT fluid?

At the dealer level, the process is rather "unscientific." If the Fluid does not look like Honda trans fluid (and it is not difficult to tell- by appearance or by smell), the dealer may claim non-OE fluid and refuse to pursue a warranty claim. For the average individual, they usually do not have the financial resources to overturn this decision.

Originally Posted by The Critic

At the dealer level, the process is rather "unscientific." If the Fluid does not look like Honda trans fluid (and it is not difficult to tell- by appearance or by smell), the dealer may claim non-OE fluid and refuse to pursue a warranty claim. For the average individual, they usually do not have the financial resources to overturn this decision.

Appearance and smell are NOT sufficient evidence. Factual evidence would have to be presented by the Dealer and they are NOT qualified to determine fluid chemistry and in most cases, "cause-and-effect."

Been there, done that.
smile.gif

I am a believer in non-factory fluids such as ATF, CVT, gear oil, etc.
But certainly there is nothing wrong with factory fluids.
Your CR-V is new. Use the Honda HC-2.

And I doubt I would use AMSOIL in anything cuz it costs too much, but that's just me.
I will use Idemitsu ATF instead of the Toyota WS in our Lexus GS350 F Sport because I believe it is better and is definitely cheaper.
Car is outta factory warranty but is in extended warranty because it is a Lexus CPO vehicle.
Just my 2 cents... All good.

Last edited:
I really am not following thr trend with using OEM fluids under warranty but switching to non-OEM. So, if you believe non-oem may cause an issue, why would you even cobsider it using post warranty? Or if you're confident enough why not to use right away????

Your thoughts? Thinking about running this in 18 Honda CR-V.

Don't become a poster boy for proving non-OEM fluids do marvels on your investment. That can be some other fool.
Honda weak spot has been their transmissions and even using their fluids the tranmissions are prone to issues (though they have fixed a lot of engg issues but the hangover of their failures hasn't gone away). Stick with OEM fluids and pay the price for sanity and protection of investment.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Appearance and smell are NOT sufficient evidence. Factual evidence would have to be presented by the Dealer and they are NOT qualified to determine fluid chemistry and in most cases, "cause-and-effect."

Been there, done that.
smile.gif

Again, you are fundamentally correct. However, the average consumer does not have the time or the financial resources to overturn a warranty denial. It is not in their best interest to be placed into a situation where they will need to fight the potential warranty denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back