Amsoil ATL, ATF, Honda Z-1, D-1, Maxxlife.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Originally Posted By: motomandan
Possibly a very slight shudder on occasion shifting into 2nd but could be my imagination.

Mine does exactly the same thing. Under light throttle, it has this "shudder". I read about the same thing on the Drive Accord site.

My first Amsoil ATF D&F is going in today. My '06 only has 65k on it, and the past maintenance is unknown.

I just did the second drain and fill today with Amsoil OTF. Trying to find a filter for it. It has an in-line trans filter but of course in any parts thing I've looked at no one shows it having a serviceable filter.

In all of my other cars, the Amsoil has improved the shifting. I would expect the same this time as well.

The shudder is cured by replacing the pressure switches followed by a Dex III fluid. Shudder is slip so time is of the essence.

Which pressure switch will cause this shudder? Mine seems to have a very minor intermittant (sp) shudder going into second gear. Would that be the second pressure switch?

Shudder is a common symptom of a worn-out or poor-quality fluid. I would start with a known quality fluid in system. If it hasn't been changed in a long time then it's a good idea to do a complete flush and pull the pan/filter for a thorough cleaning (if possible).

This Honda might have an external in-line filter which should be changed. It might be a good option to put in a Magnefine unless the OE filter has a magnet and is similar in price.

Last edited:
Theres a 3rd and a 4th gear pressure switch if were talking about your '06 Accord. While they technically don't affect the 1-2 shift, they do affect converter lockup. The shudder can be the second gear clutches slipping or it can be the converter. In both cases a good fluid will help tremendously and the switches can help if it's the converter doing the shuddering.

The pressure switches should be replaced every 2-3yrs regardless of mileage even if it's shifting ok. This will greatly extend the trans life. They also seem to affect the DBW throttle closing on shifts which affects shift quality and wear.

Even though the dealer will say you're crazy the '06 has a replaceable external filter near the cooler. I suggest replacing it as part of your maintenance.

If you have a long delay when going from park to drive replacing the switches will help. This car shifts to 3rd gear and then down to 1st gear when you put it into drive to reduce jerkiness. With old switches it stays on 3rd too long and its felt as a slow engagement or a double bump.

Besides the fluid and switches, this trans has one other fault that causes wear on the 3rd gear clutches. On the automatic 4-2 downshift, the 3rd gear circuit does not have enough exhaust flow. What happens is fluid (pressure) is sent to the 3rd gear piston while 4th is coming off and 2nd is applying. 3rd does not get full line pressure in this scenario, just a little residual pressure because the circuit exhaust capacity is not good enough and only during the shift. You end up with a bind, 2nd and 3rd applied at the same time with second gear always winning the battle and 3rd slipping. Over time this wears the 3rd gear clutches. The best solution is to not do an automatic 4-2 downshift or do it using sport mode.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Shudder is a common symptom of a worn-out or poor-quality fluid. I would start with a known quality fluid in system. If it hasn't been changed in a long time then it's a good idea to do a complete flush and pull the pan/filter for a thorough cleaning (if possible).

This Honda might have an external in-line filter which should be changed. It might be a good option to put in a Magnefine unless the OE filter has a magnet and is similar in price.

No pan on these. Just a non replaceable internal screen and a replaceable external filter that Honda denies it's existence. Most people do a 3x3 which is 3 drain and refills. Half the fluid stays in the converter during the drain and fill, that's why they do it 3 times. I added an external cooler on mine so I just do a single drain and fill, take one of the cooler lines off and stick it in a bucket and start the engine. I fill it at about the same relate it comes out at and shut the engine off when new fluid comes out. Honda strongly recommends against a flush but this is perfectly fine since you're not using a machine to force fluid through it.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTL
No pan on these. Just a non replaceable internal screen and a replaceable external filter that Honda denies it's existence.

Yes I remember that setup now. Perfect candidate for a Magnefine filter, just need to determine the size and placement.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTL
I added an external cooler on mine so I just do a single drain and fill, take one of the cooler lines off and stick it in a bucket and start the engine. I fill it at about the same relate it comes out at and shut the engine off when new fluid comes out.

Perfect! That's what I did on the Honda and, more recently, on the Subaru. Worked excellent. Did the same with the power-steering (MaxLife in both) and it's been butter smooth for about 2yrs now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
To the OP, I like the DW-1 fluid from the dealer and the Castrol Transmax IMV fluid from the aftermarket. The Castrol fluid ran real well in both of our cars. Valvoline MaxLife shifted harsh/inconsistent in both, though this was only noticeable after a few D&Fs, after the concentration of MaxLife increased to 50% or so.

I have not yet tried Amsoil, though I'm not opposed to doing so.

I have heard that MaxLIFE makes Honda shift hard.... It could be b.c its synthetic ATF.
and HONDA DW-1 is not synthetic..

perhaps HONDA Transmissions are not suppose to run on FULL SYN or even BLEND SYN ATF.
Unless your in COLD COLD Weather.

The guy at AAP tell me that the Castrol Transmax that says for HONDAS on the bottle is the same exact as HONDA DW-1...

However the cost is nearly the same, unless you buy online and use a online coupon code.

1 time I put Castrol Transmax in a Honda, it was not mine but thats what the guy gave me.

It was only a drain and fill 1 time and I could feel a difference after I did the change.

anways..

I stick to DW-1 in my ACCORD.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
One should change Honda trannys every 30K miles.

I think some HAVE changed Honda trannys every 30k miles. Ha ha. (I know what you meant.)

Doh!

tranny fluid every 30K

And you are correct, some have had to change the transmission more often than they should, especially those paired with a V6

Also the Honda you cant change the Trans filter, and you DO NOT want it to CLOG UP, or it will destroy your Tranny.

So doing drain and fills will help keep the junk out.

long as you do them all the time....

b.c if you wait for the trans fluid to get black and then change it,
we all know that is the worse thing to do.

Never change out BLACK or DARK BROWN Trans fluid , OR you will be going to the TRANS SHOP in a few weeks or days.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Here's a video that shows the cooler line exchange:

Thats a good way to do it, but he uses cheap DEXRON ..

and it looks like it might be expensive to do it that way.

I think DRAIN and FILLs are FINE.

, However I have done them that way, and I always took out too much and had to put in extra b.c more came out.. LOL

Originally Posted By: David1
Never change out BLACK or DARK BROWN Trans fluid , OR you will be going to the TRANS SHOP in a few weeks or days.

Hahaaa ... that's HILARIOUS!
laugh.gif

Just thought I'd update and revive this old post. I did do the 3x's drain and fill with Amsoil OTF at 180,000 and continued driving the wheels off of it, although not quite as much. She's at 267,xxx miles now and still driving like a champ! Still change the engine oil every 15-20,000 miles with Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20. Most reliable car I've ever owned! Thinking I should probably do the transmission fill and flush again. lol. I never did change the in line transmission filter that supposedly isn't there but is. Need to but don't know what size/brand/where to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back