amsoil atf or royal purple atf max?

Status
Not open for further replies.
earlier i asked if it was ok to use oreillys global atf in my dodge A-518 auto and many ppl said no use +4, i just talked to a transmission guru who has been rebuilding transmissions for over 35 years plus he is an old friend of the family, my uncle gave me his number, i called and asked him whats the best possible fluid to run in my transmission and he said hands down amsoil or royal purple and he said ether one will not fail you, but he said make sure you put at least 1000 miles on your rebuild before running ether royal purple or amsoil, he said regardless of who rebuilt it or what you have heard you run a transmission to around a thousand miles and completely flush all the fluid out, and then whatever fluid you decide to go with use that fluid for the rest of the transmissions life and service it every 25 thousand mileseven if your running high dollar amsoil or royal purple service it at 25 thousand miles cause at 25 thousand miles you need a new filter. he said the reason its important to not run a full synthetic atf untill at least a thousand miles is cause you want everything to set up in the transmission before going to a full syn, but after a thousand miles you can throw amsoil or royal purple and stick with the fluid you choose thru out the transmissions life servicing it every 25 thousand miles regardless of fluid. And he was not saying this as if it applys to every automatic transmission he was giving me his expert opinion how to get the most life out of my dodge A-518 automatic, he said +4 fluid works good to but it does not flow as good as the amsoil or the royal purple and he said over 95 percent of the dodge A-518 and A-500 trannys that came in his door was due to overheating the tranny and cooking just like with every other tranny heat is the number one enemy but he said more so in the A-518 and A-500s he said especially if it has a lock up converter, he said the main reason they fail cause of heat is from ppl not using there overdrive correctly, towing while in overdrive, climbing steep grades and lugging up hills in overdrive, not shutting the overdrive off while driving around in town, all that brings heat and cooks these trannys he said, Anyways i trust his word 110 percent he built an auto for my uncles 79 ford short bed a c6 transmission that lasted him 240 thousand miles, and all my uncle did was follow his instructions on how to care for the tranny and serviced it every 25 thousand miles. i never considered the amsoil or the royal purple atf because i figured everyone would say no use +4 because chrysler has not ok'd it to be used in +4 applications, but after this guy told me amsoil atf and royal purple atf max would be my safest bet as far as the best fluid to use to keep my transmission running as cool as possible i am going to use one of them, just wanted a little more feed back on which product you guys think is better? the royal purple is easier to obtain buts its more expensive, the amsoil has to be bought online and by the time i pay shipping and handling i will have most likely paid the same price that i could have spent on royal purple, my senses tell me that if one is better then the other id have to give the edge to the amsoil just because it seems to have been around longer and i have heard more great stuff bout amsoil then i have royal purple but id use ether one after what our family friend transmission guru told me. i guess it will come down to wich one is easier to obtain and which one i get the best for. unless any of you have good information showing one is better then the other.

Absolutely beautiful run-on paragraph. I'm not going to attempt to read that but will go ahead and recommend Amsoil because i've used it and am currently using it in my auto cars and it works great! Smooth shifting from the coldest to the hottest temps.

Good luck.

Too hard to wade through that post but I did see a Dodge tranny mentioned and then Amsoil or RP. Either will work fine. I personally like the RP and have used it in that tranny with good results.

PJC360-

Agree on the 1000 mile first change after an overhaul, unless you are running additional filtration (cooler line, etc).

Basically agree on the use of overdrive comments. I don't know many specifics about the A518 but you want to avoid hysteresis in any tranny and too frequent shifts or converter lock/unlocks. Every shift/converter lock/unlock takes a little life from the trans, so avoiding the use of OD in slow city traffic does that.

I disagree with the 25,000 interval as a blanket statement. Sometimes an interval that short is necessary, sometimes it isn't. One size doesn't fit all.

RP or Amsoil? I'm using RP and have no complaints but you can find out more about Amsoil ATF due to their openness on specs and testing. I have cost vs benefit problems with both oils (when viewed in the context of "normal" operation) so the question then becomes which of the oils delivers more "stuff" for the cost. I suspect that might be Amsoil but won't take a hard stand on that because I've not contrasted them in detail. In a few years, I'll be able to evaluate the RP I'm using now.

Coolers? Absolutely, but before coolers should come a trans temp gauge. Some trannies run cooler than others and some people don't work their vehicles hard enough to need anything more than the stock setup. Have had a trans temp gauge on my '86 F-250 (C6) diesel since about '87. Big cooler too. Maybe too big because in normal situations it seldom breaks 140 (sump temp). Towing, even at the 18,550 GCVW I used to run, it never broke 230F. Cooler oil significantly slows oxidation but the oil needs to get hot enough to bake out condensation.

I'm a firm believer in enhanced filtration in an automatic. In many ways, once you get past a certain quality point on the ATF (which I believe most brand name, OE fluids have), the focus should be on filtration because most automatics are so poorly equipped in that area. Better filtration results in longer fluid life because it reduces the oxidative effects of metal suspended in the oil.

I think the most important thing is to completely flush out the system when switching from say, +4 to RP MaxATF.....or Amsoil ATF....

both are good quality ATF with good track records when serviced as scheduled....

I'd opt in for a trans cooler too....and perhaps one of those magnetic "magnefine" or similar, filter addons....

Which transmission and vehichle do you have?

I have 00 Durango and 5.9 with 46RE Trans. I use the Amsoil.

I agree with his comments, change fluid after rebuild to flush out the wear materials.

Per the 25K interval, sounds like he is being conservative but his point probably is to cahnge the filter and inspect the pan for debris and freshening up the fluid isnt going to hurt.

I would add, if you have the pan off, add a B&M drain plug.

At least the original poster used vowels.

If you can afford Amsoil or RoyalPurple, you can probably afford to get the shift key repaired on your keyboard.

I was in O'Reilly's today and noticed both of these fluids are very pricey. The Ams was $11+ and the RP was $13+ per qt. I just changed the ATF in the Focus yesterday and M1 ATF was $9+ per qt. Synthetic ATFs are goin throu the roof.
33.gif

Last edited:
sorry for the poor typing and paragraphs people, have not used a computer since highschool really lol. Just to let everyone know the tranny shop who rebuilt my transmission told my stock tranny cooler in the radiator was plugged so bad that even putting a air hose in there and blowing 150 pounds of air pressure did not un clog it.
So what they did was installed an aftermarket cooler of some kind it is attatched to the outside part of my radiator so it gets the air of the fan and gets air blown on it while driving down the road.
My understanding on how to flush the transmission is drop the pan and let that 4 or 5 quarts drain out then take the return line off the cooler and put it in a drain bucket or pan and put the transmission in nuetral and start it and have somone watching the fluid coming out of the return line and when there is no more fluid coming out of the return line have them give ya a signal to shut the engine off, sound right?
Since the royal purple atf max in my area is 13.50 a auart im going to go with amsoil if i can get the whole say price that somone mentioned? im also going to look around at a few stores around town that might have the amsoil already in there store and see what there price is, like i said the transmission only has about 500 miles on it right now, so it will be a few weeks before its time to flush it, i dont drive the truck everywhere i normally take my car, but im going to get out and drive it around here and there untill i get another 500 miles or so put on it and then ill purchase the fluid, and i will also look for the magenefine filter as well.
Thanks for everyones input.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I was in O'Reilly's today and noticed both of these fluids are very pricey. The Ams was $11+ and the RP was $13+ per qt. I just changed the ATF in the Focus yesterday and M1 ATF was $9+ per qt. Synthetic ATFs are goin throu the roof.
33.gif

Unless you're doing 50K miles a year you're gonna go at least 1-2 years before you run up on 30K for your next trans fluid change.

You own a vehicle-one that requires gas, insurance (possibly) a car note, tires, brakes, etc etc etc.

And you're worried about a few dollars a quart on transmission fluid?

Really?

If the money is that tight then you need to move someplace that has good public transit and sell your vehicle.

When I purchased the Amsoil ATF for my F150 last year it came out to roughly $10 a quart, including shipping. So, $150 for 30,000 miles.

What you spend eating out three times will cover the difference between what a trans full of good ATF fluid and brand-x fluid costs.

Seriously, my pockets are as nervous as all get out these days. But if I can't afford to put the best fluids in my vehicle (at an absurdly minimal difference in cost vs the off label stuff) I need to start walking. Because I [censored] sure can't afford to replace an engine or trans

Put some Amsoil ATF in there and save your worry about what's pricey for all the other cash you have to shell out just to own a vehicle.

dude i just spent over 2300.00 bucks on getting my transmission rebuilt less then a 2 months ago, i also spent over 2 thousand for a lift kit and tires before that and if i woulda known the transmission was going to give out i wouldnt have purchased the nice rims and tires and lift kit, also the mine im working at is on a freeze so have not worked in the last 2 weeks and im also battleing with un-employment to send me my un-employment that i more then qaulify for its not like im a frequent un-employment drawer this is my first time ever and they are still pending my eleigibility. Not trying to sound snappy but ya whatever i get the better deal on is what im going to go with, even if it only saves me 5 to 10 bucks in the end thats a can of copenhagen or a happy meal from mcdonalds ;)and no im not going to do 50 thousand miles service intervals im going to do 25 thouisand mile intervals because that was what i was told by the smartest transmission guy i know and arguably the smartest transmission guy in the state, he said its not so much that the oil needs to be change but the filter needs to be changed every 25k regardless of what filter or what oil.

From what this transmission guru told me i couldnt go wrong with the amsoil or the royal purple he pretty much said get ether one they are both outstanding fluids and wont do you wrong, i was just wanting to hear peoples opinion on this site as to wich one outta the two they think is the best, even tho he told me ether of them would be good one is better then the other im sure but its really hard to prove which one is the better of the 2 so i was just wanting to hear peoples expirence with the atf, i know ppl say amsoil engine oil and royal purple engine oil are great but i have not read a whole lot about there atf's.

Originally Posted By: D Hill
Originally Posted By: tig1
33.gif

Unless you're doing 50K miles a year you're gonna go at least 1-2 years before you run up on 30K for your next trans fluid change.

You own a vehicle-one that requires gas, insurance (possibly) a car note, tires, brakes, etc etc etc.

And you're worried about a few dollars a quart on transmission fluid?

Really?

If the money is that tight then you need to move someplace that has good public transit and sell your vehicle.

When I purchased the Amsoil ATF for my F150 last year it came out to roughly $10 a quart, including shipping. So, $150 for 30,000 miles.

What you spend eating out three times will cover the difference between what a trans full of good ATF fluid and brand-x fluid costs.

Seriously, my pockets are as nervous as all get out these days. But if I can't afford to put the best fluids in my vehicle (at an absurdly minimal difference in cost vs the off label stuff) I need to start walking. Because I [censored] sure can't afford to replace an engine or trans

Put some Amsoil ATF in there and save your worry about what's pricey for all the other cash you have to shell out just to own a vehicle.

Son, settle down. When it comes to spending money for quality synthetic oils I'm no stranger. Been doin it since 1978. Thanks for tha advise on using Amsoil ATF, but M1 ATF is my fluid. Been usin it since Mobil first came out with it in the early 90s. I can afford any fluid thats out there, and that's why M1 is my first choice.

Yea Cardinals!!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
i would use mobil 1 but i just dont care for exxon mobil very much, i dont feel like contributing to the richest company in the world, i like giving my buissness to other companys, not saying mobil 1 does not make a great oil or atf, im sure it is good stuff. and exxon mobil would not let salvation army and a few other prgrams station water and shelter canapies on there property after hurricane katrina wiped out new orleans, i was up there running a water truck for my boss i was just 18 years old and exxon owned alot of property that would have been great to set up water stations and they wouldnt let them do it.
Before that i used to get gas from exxon all the time and occasionally buy an exxon mobil engine oil but ever since then i stopped doing buissness with them, i was just blown away that the richest company in our country was not willing to loan out its property to set up water and food and shower stations to the victims of hurricane katrina.

Originally Posted By: pjc360
i would use mobil 1 but i just dont care for exxon mobil very much, i dont feel like contributing to the richest company in the world, i like giving my buissness to other companys, not saying mobil 1 does not make a great oil or atf, im sure it is good stuff. and exxon mobil would not let salvation army and a few other prgrams station water and shelter canapies on there property after hurricane katrina wiped out new orleans, i was up there running a water truck for my boss i was just 18 years old and exxon owned alot of property that would have been great to set up water stations and they wouldnt let them do it.
Before that i used to get gas from exxon all the time and occasionally buy an exxon mobil engine oil but ever since then i stopped doing buissness with them, i was just blown away that the richest company in our country was not willing to loan out its property to set up water and food and shower stations to the victims of hurricane katrina.

XM no doubt pays out millions every year in donations to charities, but if XM allowed people to stay on their properity for any reason the law suits would pour in against XM for every reason under the sun just because they are a successful American company. Also what if after an extended period of time people just refused to leave their properity? Can you see the headlines now? XM HAS A COURT ORDER TO REMOVE KATRINA VICTIMS.

ya i totally understand that, but it was not a stituation where people would be staying on there property, it was a situation where salvation army and a few other programs were just trying to find a spot to set up shop to feed pepole and let them take showers, i mean the nfl let people use the saints football stadium, wal-mart was letting programs use there property to set up shower and food stations it just seemed like evryone was doing what they could to help except exxon mobil.

anyways thats off the subject anyways, should be talking about wich is the better atf to use amsoil or royal purple, im sure they are both outstanding fluids im half tempted to use royal purple just because i can go pick it up at the parts stores, but then im half tempted to get smsoil because its cheaper, only thing that makes me not wanna get amsoil is having to order it an pay shiiping and handling, by the time im done paying shipping and handling and buying 14 quarts i probly could have just gotten the royal purple for the same price, something tells me to go with the amsoil, i guess i place a little more tust into the amsoil company. i been doing as much reading on both as i can to determine whats the better fluid and have not figured it out yet, im going to keep looking tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back