Amsoil 5w30 ASL 9,421 miles 03 Jeep Liberty 3.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

with the least amount of viscosity index improvers (VII’s). These type of oils really seem to produce the least wear.

Redline uses ZERO VII's. Some amount are actually beneficial according to some people. I do think less is better. Just makes more sense.

That's one reason I get befuddled by Redlines street wear numbers sometimes. Even after 3 changes.....maybe the combo of over Ca based oils with no VII's is a winner.

Quote:

... this run used about a quart in a little bit less than 10,000 miles. But I've noticed with 5w30 (which is what I've used in it) that it does use oil.

Did it use oil before? When switching to a synthetic after primarily dino, there may be some short term higher consumption. We've seen that on this board numerous times. You might give it another run before going to a 10W-30. What's in it now and are you still seeing the consumption?

Quote:

That's one reason I get befuddled by Redlines street wear numbers sometimes. Even after 3 changes.....maybe the combo of over Ca based oils with no VII's is a winner.

dunno.gif
No clue.

Their racing oils must be superb going by the people that use them.

Tones - Seems like (I use 'seems' because I don't have empirical data) it has always used some oil. This OCI was during 10,000 miles so 1 quart may not be much. I’ve always used 5w30 and from the first oil change I’ve used synthetic.

Dominic – if you mean oil filtration, I used an Amsoil EaO filter. I don’t know of a better filter. I did change the air filter when I sampled the oil.

Dr No – I ordered the ACD 10w30 Pablo suggested. The cost (not including shipping) works out to about $6.50 a quart.

Buster – I did use Redline in this vehicle (5w30) and it used oil with that too.

I’m going with 10w30 to see if this helps consumption and using the ACD to see if it holds up better.

The high iron here is caused by dirt coming in through the intake. The clincher is a nickel reading greater than 1. This is the stainless steel of the valves getting sandblasted. Check the entire intake/air duct for leaks and change the air filter. Once you correct that your silicon and wear metals will come down. I've seen this time and time again and it almost always proves true. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back