Amsoil 10W40 in a PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Amsoil 15W40 HDD and 5W30 HDD but I have no experience with the 10W40. How does this compare to the other 2 oils mentioned as far as additives, anti-foaming agents, and use in a Ford PSD. I have never seen an analysis on any PSD using this oil, but have seen tons with the 5W30 and 15W40, which were all good.

cheers.gif

Not the stuff to use here, but fine for automotive diesels like Mercedes and the VW TDI. Amsoil does not consider this a HD diesel oil ....

They are using the CI-4 add pack so it works better in wet clutch motorcycles ....

Ted

[ November 01, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Ted,
Thanks for the info. I do have 22 quarts of the 5W30 HDD left for my 01 PSD next oil change. I was just looking down the road and it seems that the 5W30 HDD is the best for me to use.
Very nice to get an answer so quick, as all I looked at was the CI, not considering the other variables. Again Thanks.

Updated specs for the Series 3000, 5w-30:

Vis @ 100C, 11.5 Cst
Vis @ 40C, 63.8 Cst
VI, 176
CCS @ -25C, 5012 Cp (was 6100 Cp)
PP, -60F
FP, +457F
Noack, 6.5% (was 8.6%)
HT/HS > 3.5 Cp
Four Ball Wear, .40 mm
TBN > 12.0

The S3000 is more shear stable than the 10w-40 and I like it a lot better for the PSD application. I also think it's their best gas engine oil right now....

Ted

Ted, why do you say that this isn't the right oil for the PSD? What would be detrimental in using the 10/40 over their 15/40?

Other than the fuel injectors, why would a PSD be any different than any other diesel?

John,

IMHO, the Amsoil 10w-40 isn't shear stable to use in the PSD engine, due to the very high pressure, hydraulically actuated fuel injectors ....

The 15w-40 uses a heavier, more stable basestock blend than the 10w-40 and less polymeric thickener. The Amsoil S2000/S3000 use a more expensive and extremely shear stable VI modifier that is not used in the 10w-40.

Ted

On the shear stability, how would the 10w40 compare to Delvac 1?

We have seen similiar oil analysis comparisons on the TDI, but not much in the PSD.

Going out on a limb, I would say you would see similar performance of the 10w40 to Delvac 1.

Though I do agree with Twoslick, that the 15w40 is a better oil for both motorcycles and Diesels than the 10w40 and it's less expensive as well(they do more volume of the 15w40 than probably any other individual Amsoil product.)

Mike,

Based on all the VW TDI data I've seen, I'd say Delvac 1 would have a slight edge when it comes to shear stability ....That's why I'd prefer the thicker Amsoil 15w-40 for the PSD.

Amsoil really does not consider their 10w-40 to be a HD diesel oil. This oil and "ARO" were reformulated in 1998 to make them work better in motorcycles. That's the primary reason why they are using the SL/CI-4 additive chemstry - to reduce high temp piston deposits in air cooled motorcycle engines.

The amsoil 10w-40 is a high performance oil for gas/diesel engine passenger cars and motorcycles with wet clutches, not Mack trucks. It's more like the Mobil 1, 0w-40 and not Delvac 1 ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back