Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista closed down the primer line at Remington when they bought them out. Seems obvious that ever center-fire cartridge requires a primer, so take away 1/4 of the primer manufacture capacity in the US and you create an instant shortage. Vista is raising prices by about 15% this April as well.

The BS they spout about "5 million first-time gun owners have taxed the system" is complete BS. Those new gun owners didn't buy 25-06 deer rifles and 30 carbines.

being able to shoot oddball handgun calibers is worthwhile these days. ive seen 9mak, 327mag, 32 short, 32acp, 25acp, 22wmr, 22wrf, 17hmr ammo readily available at non-highway robbery prices over the past couple of months. all in lgs.

being able to shoot oddball handgun calibers is worthwhile these days. ive seen 9mak, 327mag, 32 short, 32acp, 25acp, 22wmr, 22wrf, 17hmr ammo readily available at non-highway robbery prices over the past couple of months. all in lgs.
None here @ all! I have a .32 acp and thought that would be available at least but nope.

In my area sporting goods stores and gun stores have bare ammo shelves. They all say the same thing, we can’t sell what we don’t have. There’s no supply Coming in anymore.
Firearms are still available but may not be what you want on the day you’re in the store. You can order but will be waiting. I was in a Dunham’s sports one evening and they had 2 Kimber 1911’s, 2 Canik 9mm’s, and a few HRR single action 22’s. A couple odd bolt action rifles and 1 or 2 shotguns. Ammo was some shotgun shells and a few boxes of rifle ammo.
I’m glad I don’t need anything right now. Ive been a gun and ammo hoarder since I was introduced to firearms as a kid.
I’ve always had a large stock but added to it over the last few years as prices dropped. In the end of 2019 Walmart cleared out handgun calibers. I took advantage though I didn’t need it. Glad I did. I’d stop in after work about 3 times a week and buy hundreds of rounds each time. They had awesome prices.

In the past I brought home a box from WM every week or so. I have plenty but I still like to buy more when I can. Now WM is either unable to get any or has stopped selling ammo completly here.
Week ago at my local Walmart, they had just a couple boxes of 333 pack .22LR on the self, I bought one and left the other. But when paying for the ammo, the guys were saying they had ammo in the back, but only put out a few boxes at a time because they don't want it all to sell out in a couple of hours.

Why are people hoarding ammo? I see this from time to time and it always seems to be preparation for something that never happens, where one might need a closet packed to the roof with ammo. Genuinely curious why, not being rhetorical. Is there a fear of civil war? Thinking all sales of new guns and ammo will be illegal next week?

Maybe the answer is too political for discussing on BITOG? As someone who uses guns for hunting wild game, I can count the number of rounds I use on one hand per year. :)

I have several fishing buddies who stock up like it's the zombie apocalypse once ever couple of years, and they live in the middle of a fancy golfing community with quite literally zero crime. They already have countless semi-auto rifles with high capacity magazines and hand guns, with enough to destroy 10,000 tin cans. Last year when covid hit, they cleaned out the stores for even more and spent nights building their own ammo.

My dad still has 12g shotgun rounds that were Purchased at Payless 30-some years ago. LOL

Why are people hoarding ammo? I see this from time to time and it always seems to be preparation for something that never happens, where one might need a closet packed to the roof with ammo. Genuinely curious why, not being rhetorical. Is there a fear of civil war? Thinking all sales of new guns and ammo will be illegal next week?
Do you wear a seat belt as a means of being prepared for the unexpected? Do you have insurance on your vehicles? Think of guns and ammo as "insurance" for whatever it might need to be used for.

My dad still has 12g shotgun rounds that were Purchased at Payless 30-some years ago. LOL
Reminds me of Road Warrior where he had a couple of old crumbly shotgun shells for his sawed off double-barreled shotgun. :LOL:

Why are people hoarding ammo?
As someone who uses guns for hunting wild game, I can count the number of rounds I use on one hand per year.
My dad still has 12g shotgun rounds that were Purchased at Payless 30-some years ago
Because most gun owners shoot more than you do. I hunt also, but I also shoot recreationally. I literally just got back from the range a couple of hours ago. I only shot about 50 rounds instead of the 200-400 I usually shoot. I am retired and live 8 miles from my gun range. Some people play golf in retirement, some shoot guns. And the reason for the panic buying can be placed strictly on the two subjects that we are not allowed to discuss on this forum, even though it is the truth.

Because most gun owners shoot more than you do. I hunt also, but I also shoot recreationally. I literally just got back from the range a couple of hours ago. I only shot about 50 rounds instead of the 200-400 I usually shoot. I am retired and live 8 miles from my gun range. Some people play golf in retirement, some shoot guns. And the reason for the panic buying can be placed strictly on the two subjects that we are not allowed to discuss on this forum, even though it is the truth.
Well that's what I love about casting I never run out of bullets. I cast mostly for my 38 and my 45. They cost me the same amount now as when I put in a ample stock of lead. I've cut my shooting back some but its not because of my lack of ammo. The COVID has shutdown every other bench at our range. But I'm going to run out of power way before bullets.

You hit the nail right on the head! ;) (y)

^^^ Thought it would only be one of the three subjects. Panic buying because of R&S?, hardly. 😂

Well that's what I love about casting I never run out of bullets. I cast mostly for my 38 and my 45. They cost me the same amount now as when I put in a ample stock of lead. I've cut my shooting back some but its not because of my lack of ammo. The COVID has shutdown every other bench at our range. But I'm going to run out of power way before bullets.
How is the lead market these days? From what I understand wheel weights are getting harder to find and certainly aren't free for the taking at tire stores like they used to be. I don't cast but I have a substantial supply of pistol caliber cast lead bullets as well as plenty of powder, primers, brass, and rifle bullets. I am well stocked to outlast this latest panic but still am conserving.

How is the lead market these days? From what I understand wheel weights are getting harder to find and certainly aren't free for the taking at tire stores like they used to be. I don't cast but I have a substantial supply of pistol caliber cast lead bullets as well as plenty of powder, primers, brass, and rifle bullets. I am well stocked to outlast this latest panic but still am conserving.
The wheel weights aren't made from lead any more.

My cousin works at my local WM auto center. He said they don't throw away old weights they remove now.

Lead is the same price it was 10 years ago.

129BD274-20D2-4C3D-8D8B-8FF026CA6755.jpg

Like Wpod says the wheel weights are not lead for the most part anymore. They probably think someone's going to ingest them. As for lead when prices were low years ago (2000 to 2005) well I stocked up shall we say I'll never run out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back