Ammo Shortage Abating for Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to our local dealer. Specialty defense 9mm JHP stuff (Hornady) was $21.95 per 25 (read: expensive). Particularly since I cleaned out a police officer's old stash of JHP for the cost of $15 per fifty rounds (when factoring in shipping).

FMJ and TMJ stuff is floating around $15 per fifty, reloads (with bare lead round nose bullets) at about $10. Gives me an idea where I stand, but unless I were doing the reload myself, or they were commercial reloads (not like the $10 stuff, two guys in a basement with a press...), I only do factory ammo. One less variable to take out in case something goes wrong.

I'm trying to stock up on .308 - my new 10FLCP-K would love some, but it's fairly thin-pickin's.

Might have to order in some Federal Tactical stuff (at $35 per box of twenty!
shocked2.gif
)

WOW what a price jump on 9MM. I was one of those reloaders in the basement but I would only use good quality components. I would sell a box of 50 for $7.00. I had a 100% markup.

One of our small town Wal-Marts has been having alot more .22's. Last time I was there they had about 55 boxes of 550 rounds each. Other Wal-Marts here don't have many .22's but have more pistol boxes each time I go.

I was at our local Academy the other evening, and they had some stock - plenty of shotgun and rifle cartridges, some handgun ammo.

I got five boxes of Remington .40 SW and a brick of Remington .22LR. Lots of 38 special and +, but it was cheap brands.

I also got the fever for a couple of new guns since stock is starting to return, and may go back this weekend and scratch the itch.

I can get all the .40 and .38 special I want at Wal Mart and Farm and Fleet. It seems like these two calibers aren't popular around here which is good for me. I've been a fan of these two calibers for the better part of 10 years.

I loaded up on a ton of my favorite .40 ammo, Federal HST 180 grains awhile back before the big price hit.

Still can't find .22LR around here in quantity, but I was ahead of the curve when I bought 55 bricks of it a year ago, a case at a time. I am good on .22 for a year or two.

I will not pay these prices they are asking and will continue to nurse my stash until I see prices drop even more.

Go to www.gun-deals.com and go to the ammo price search engine. It will give you any caliber of ammo by price per round with or without shipping in a sortable table that is updated every day. I find a lot of my ammo this way. It is a user submitted site, so the prices are the real deal.

I was at the local gun shop perusing the used firearms and they had several cases of .223, about 40 boxes of 9mm on the shelf in various flavors, plenty of 22LR, a full rack of brass and a real good supply of primers.

It was like I walked back in time a couple of years, except the prices were about 30% higher.

The loaded ammo shortage seems to be moderating around here. .40 S&W in particular seems to be easy to find unlike 9mm which is still a little tough. I was at small local gunshow last weekend and just about anything was available and with prices not too far out of line from what we've been paying.

What's NOT available are primers. No one had ANY last weekend and places online seem to sell out in minutes.

I'm still wondering what the hoarders are going to do with 50K or 100K primers. Especially people who haven't reloaded 10K rounds in their entire lives...

Seems now that hunting season is taking off that the supply is dipping a bit of many hunting calibers, as expected. Did see a full case of .30-30 on the shelf at Wal-Mart today. Hadn't seen that in a while. The .22 bricks were gone, though.

Bump.

For the last couple of weeks, the Wal Mart's around here have been bursting at the seams with ammo - even 380 now looks to be relatively abundant. Seems like the price has gone up some on the Winchester white box, though.

Local Academy is well stocked, also.

yep, I believe the shortage is almost over.

I'm in the Tampa bay area and all the walmarts have boxes of everything, even 9mm and 380. unfortunately its usually WWB instead of federal.

their price on 22lr 555 bricks is rediculous at $17. I just buy 6 boxes at a time of 50 pack federal lightning for $1.27.

the Guy behind the counter doesn't understand when I explain that the limit of 6 boxes makes no sense. If I buy 6 555 boxes I'm over 3k rounds, but if I buy 6 50 boxes I'm at 300 rounds.

he looked at me funny when I explained the flaw in their limit.

Originally Posted By: Win
Bump.
- even 380 now looks to be relatively abundant.
\

Abundant, but insanely expensive. I remember 380 being $5 a box of 50 ten years ago

The price of raw materials and alloys have gone up. We sold our casting metals and brass after quitting our relaoding business. Scrap prices were more than what we paid originally.

Just picked up 300 rds of Federal .40 S&W at the WalMart in Oxnard, CA last night. it was 13.97 for a box of 50. I would have bought them out, but they had a 6 box maximum. They had TONS of .223, wish i had a need for it.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: Win
Bump.
- even 380 now looks to be relatively abundant.
\

Abundant, but insanely expensive. I remember 380 being $5 a box of 50 ten years ago
Fiat currency!!!

Our WM's have tons of .40. They now carry the RWS 9mm which is very clean and shoots nicely so far. I have never seen any value packs of .223 at my WM's but they have nice stock of remington $10 box .223. I've been finding WWB .45 on occassion and every now and then from Federal Chamption .45.

I had a hard time finding 380 ammo. All the stores kept selling out as soon as they got it in. I finally found a box of Blazer Brass ammo.

Got another 600 rounds of .40 S&W at the Wal-Mart in Oxnard, CA. I asked the guy if there was a maximum and he said someone could walk in and clean them out and they would just get more in a few days.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I wonder if the numbers scare the antigunners?

scared Obama not to do anything till his second term, thats for sure. He mentioned assault rifle ban during the mexican drug stuff and his popularity dropped 10 percent for a little bit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back