Ammo Costs

PSA owns a newer Ammo plant from what I've heard, keep an eye on them too. Last week bought PSA AAC 5.56 $7.99 and one way or another they shipped the whole order free.
I'm a fan of PSA's AAC-branded 9mm ammo. The cartridges are clean, the boxes are no-frills and small, and it shoots well. And it's American-made if that's important to you.

I recently saw CCI has a .22 purple polymer coated steel bullet cartridge 1500 FPS.
Holy SSShit. That should take out some groundhogs
What would this do that 17HMR or 22Mag wouldn't do?

More importantly, what's the cost per round?

Steel bullet? IIRC some ranges won't allow steel core, due to fears of ricochet. My concern, how light is this, I'm guessing if it's 22lr, then it's probably really light, and then I have to wonder how fast it sheds velocity.

Too fancy for a simpleton like me though. :)

Just thought I would put this out there if anyone is interested...... Grab-A-Gun has CCI Blazer Brass 124 Gr. FMJ 9 MM for just $12.99 a box. This is brass cased, boxer primed, and reloadable. I didn't investigate shipping, limits, etc. Price seems good for what's being offered out there.

Reloading for me is the best option having the components & tools

having primers at .03 cents each bought before the current pricing

Quick cost break down

1X brass $.05
Primer $.03 (today's cost is $.10-.12 each when you find 'em)
115 gr plated HP bullet $.10 (prices can vary greatly for premium bullets)
Powder charge $.02 (using a 4.7 grain charge or Titegroup @ $32/pound---1400 rds per pound)
Of course using your brass over again will save you the $.05 per rd
So $20/100 handloaded for 9mm practice ammo (not counting time of course)
I use the Lee 4 pc die set...the factory crimp die assures ammo runs flawlessly

Here's a link for hard cast bullets...run some 148 gr cast outta your 9mm
$140+ orders include free shipping

Are primers up to that now? ouch. I bought mine 3-4 years ago, and am just getting back to reloading. I forget if it was $26 or $40 per 1k of primers that I "stocked up" on, now I wish I had spent more (much more!).

Took the long route home yesterday and hit up a gun store (first time in years) and saw nadda for powder and primers. Methinks I need to do start keeping my eyes open more now. At the very least 22lr was in stock! (goes to show how long it's been since I looked).

Are primers up to that now? ouch. I bought mine 3-4 years ago, and am just getting back to reloading. I forget if it was $26 or $40 per 1k of primers that I "stocked up" on, now I wish I had spent more (much more!).

Took the long route home yesterday and hit up a gun store (first time in years) and saw nadda for powder and primers. Methinks I need to do start keeping my eyes open more now. At the very least 22lr was in stock! (goes to show how long it's been since I looked).
Yes they are. I roll my own and retail on non bench rest primers is 100 a brick now, add in hazmat and shipping and you're easily at 130 a brick. Now that Blackrock owns everything except Winchester, I don't see the price coming down much. The Remington line recently fired back up, so that is good, but bad that Remington is now owned by Blackrock.

Natchez has some primers right now....

Along with a coupon code for 'free mat shipping'

'FH230118'

Yes they are. I roll my own and retail on non bench rest primers is 100 a brick now, add in hazmat and shipping and you're easily at 130 a brick. Now that Blackrock owns everything except Winchester, I don't see the price coming down much. The Remington line recently fired back up, so that is good, but bad that Remington is now owned by Blackrock.
Well that's a bummer! I think what I'll do is just buy one or two boxes (if I see any to be had) but wait it out. Sometimes things are cyclic, I'm not going to go into hock stocking up.

When did polymer coated bullets become a thing? I was looking for hardcast at Midway and none had lube on them. Instead they have "Hi-Tek" or similar. Quick looks shows things changed with time, something new to look up (hey, if it doesn't cost more but works better...).

'FH230118'

Thanks, they have some small pistol primers, will have to snag a couple, I guess that's now a good price, sheesh...

Well that's a bummer! I think what I'll do is just buy one or two boxes (if I see any to be had) but wait it out. Sometimes things are cyclic, I'm not going to go into hock stocking up.

When did polymer coated bullets become a thing? I was looking for hardcast at Midway and none had lube on them. Instead they have "Hi-Tek" or similar. Quick looks shows things changed with time, something new to look up (hey, if it doesn't cost more but works better...).

Thanks, they have some small pistol primers, will have to snag a couple, I guess that's now a good price, sheesh...
Rem 5 1/2's has heavier cup thickness opposed to Rem 1 1/2's

Rem 5 1/2's has heavier cup thickness opposed to Rem 1 1/2's
Never used them, I used mostly PMC leadfree's (they were cheap! some sort of surplus I think) and a few CCI's. I'll probably stick with CCI, just order a couple thousand, that might last me a year--or 10, no idea, I still have 3k of what I think was 5-6k that I bought 5-10 years ago.

'FH230118'

I hate the federal primer packaging, 1K of Federal primers takes up the same shelf space as 5K Remingtons do. I don't dislike the primers themselves, I just don't buy them because of their packaging size.

What’s up with Bullseye? seems out of stock, maybe for a long time. gonna have to buy accurate #2 I guess. Nothing local it seems. :(

Missed out on the CCI small pistol primers, go figure, moved too slow.

Found this, seems to indicate that small rifle primers are "ok" to swap for small pistol primers (matches a number of web forum opinions).

Back