America's best-selling vehicles built on lies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes.

No. "Sound" is a phenomenon that involves moving waves of air, a biological membrane (for us, that's an ear drum) that transduces that oscillating air into neurological energy, and a consciousness to be aware of it. A sentient creature is required for the last two.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes.

No. "Sound" is a phenomenon that involves moving waves of air, a biological membrane (for us, that's an ear drum) that transduces that oscillating air into neurological energy, and a consciousness to be aware of it. A sentient creature is required for the last two.

If a tree falls in the woods...I am of the opinion that a sound is made. Why? Because it would be a fairly safe assumption that living organisms of some kind, capable of receiving/perceiving sound, would be present.

But if the term "nobody" includes all living organisms capable of perceiving sound (birds, rodents, etc.)...then no.

Yes.

I would say the opposite is true. Whilst our ears translate sound pressure waves into 'sound', those pressure waves still exist whether we hear them or not. Now, if you're assuming that sound is the result of many factors, including an ear that can perceive it, then you are correct. But... ever seen fine wine glasses shatter because of a certain sound frequency? That would happen whether someone was present to hear it or not. So from that standpoint, a falling tree always makes a 'sound'. But the weekend is here, so who cares, right?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Would you say that having a Dual Exhaust that is just a Y pipe at the rear to be a lie, particularly on a 4 cyl?

Good question.

Or those huge exhaust tips in the bumper that aren't actually physically connected to the exhaust system.

Yes.

Beat me to it. First question posed in my Audio 1 class in college.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Originally Posted By: CT8
Idiot technology? I want a cat that starts,runs without lots maintenance or repairs and gets decent mpgs and is reliable as a blender. I don't need useless technology to get me down the road and cause problems.

Aren't Toyota Motor hybrids actually more reliable and less maintenance intensive than old tech? No belts, alternators, starter motors, clutches etc. to fail...
How do you start the engine in a Hybrid, then?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Would you say that having a Dual Exhaust that is just a Y pipe at the rear to be a lie, particularly on a 4 cyl?

Good question.

Or those huge exhaust tips in the bumper that aren't actually physically connected to the exhaust system.
A famous Italian aftermarket exhaust maker, Abarth, made several systems with t Y pipe for 4 cyl Volvos. They claimed, as I recall, they got the sound control they wanted without less weight than that of a second big muffler which was the standard Volvo approach. .

Honestly I think this is one of the best ideas the OEM's have ever come up with. Both for them, and all consumers.

If ricer-boy wants his new Mustang to sound like an exhaust popping drag car, we no longer have to live the awful engine sounds that came with his failed attempts when he pays his hard earned money to have his muffler hacked off and a straight pipe welded in. He simply downloads a suitable aftermarket file, and now he can impress all his friends and girls without forcing the rest of humanity to endure the torture that is a straight-piped stock car.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
Honestly I think this is one of the best ideas the OEM's have ever come up with. Both for them, and all consumers.

If ricer-boy wants his new Mustang to sound like an exhaust popping drag car, we no longer have to live the awful engine sounds that came with his failed attempts when he pays his hard earned money to have his muffler hacked off and a straight pipe welded in. He simply downloads a suitable aftermarket file, and now he can impress all his friends and girls without forcing the rest of humanity to endure the torture that is a straight-piped stock car.

Fair point, well made!

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?

If a bear poops in the forest and nobody is there to smell it, does it still stink?

hotwheels

It all boils down to if they thought their customers were dumb enough, or gullible enough, to literally "buy" it.

Yes.

Wrong. Just wrong. The sound exists whether or not anyone or anything is around to perceive it.

If a meteor strikes the moon, does it make a sound? No. There is no atmosphere to transmit the vibrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back