Americans and their garages.....

Most can get all their vehicles in the garage in my neighborhood...you see the occasional boat outside or the teen driver's vehicle outside if it's a 2-car garage. People still have plenty of junk but they fit their vehicles inside still because of the climate here. I can't imagine clearing snow around multiple vehicles in the driveway let alone doing the warm-up/ice scrape every morning when it's -20F like it's been most mornings the past week or so.

I have an oversized 2 car (2.5 car?) and can fit both cars and the bike in a row, can get the bike out without moving a car and can also open all car doors for ingress without issue. Zero room is given for piles of crap in my garage.

No in this area all have basements. HOA does not allow out buildings though. Without a basement I doubt I'd be parking in my garage either!

We've been house shopping the last couple of months in KC and I believe the problem is the huge number of split levels being built. They ALL seem to finish the small portion of basement that is left, leaving the garage as the only storage option.

One of the oddest things I’ve seen. And the only people I’ve met that ever did it were from the mid-west.

Maybe it’s because they don’t have basements. But never made much sense when they build a room that fits a car, with a door that can be opened with a remote, that leads directly to the driveway, with drains in the floor and you use it for everything except a car. Even people that use it as a gym set up, although that seems to be a west coast thing.

We've been house shopping the last couple of months in KC and I believe the problem is the huge number of split levels being built. They ALL seem to finish the small portion of basement that is left, leaving the garage as the only storage option.
Yep I've seen that trend too. Builders work hard to create an illusion of size but they aren't very big in reality. You can tell what sells people too, typically nice size kitchens huge master suite and bath while the kid's bedrooms and the garage are tiny. I have quite a few new homes close to me and they all look the same, sometimes three or four in a row are painted a slightly different shade of gray. :rolleyes:

I just had this put up, both trucks, the travel trailer and boat will park in here. While technically not a garage, it will be nice to have those things under cover. The only thing left outside will be the Caprice. The Trans Am and Malibu live inside. The garage in the back between the house and carport in the top picture is where the lawn equipment lives.
272088352_10223839959060225_4561657842525764667_n.jpg

272140945_10223839958260205_3497739385690806004_n.jpg

My garage would fit the Tiguan barely if I parked it inside on the right, the truck never. Houses built in 1979 with living space above the garage weren't sized for the bigger vehicles today.

We'll be parking at least the Nissan in the garage when we move. I just don't like the idea of putting a DD dripping salt water on the garage slab all winter.

Right now I'm afraid to park anything other than the Jeep in the garage because it's about to colapse. It's big enough, that's for sure.

Going to circle back to this. I put the Jeep in to work on it.

We got a decent amount of snow. It's shifted the garage and I can't get the door open.

Back