Americans and their garages.....

One car garage. It has my washer and dryer, water heater, furnace on one side, work bench and cabinets on the other side. I still can park my car and motorcycle in it. Yes, mericans have too much junk. That’s why a new storage place is always getting built in your area.

Can't spell garbage without garage.

To be honest, I don't care if people put junk in their garage and park outside, just so long as it's not vice versa. I do hate it when people park on the side of the street, as well, but understand that it's sometimes necessary. Personally, I love the idea of having a garage to store and work on my vehicles. I also understand that most people don't care about their cars as much and don't care if they sit outside.

I spent 20 years living in a condo with a one car garage. I could barely fit my car in there since the washer, dryer and water heater were along one wall. The larger condo units came with two car garages. I'll bet more than half of my neighbors parked their cars on the street since they had their garages full of junk and parking spaces within the complex were very limited with several spaces reserved for guests only.

When I was looking for my new home in the Southern California mountains I told my agent that a garage was an absolute must-have.
One of the things that really sold me on the house was a fully finished and insulated L shaped 700 sq. ft two car garage. I was in heaven.
I have space for a workbench and now own two cars and a snowblower. The garage is plenty deep so I have a lot of room against the back wall for a firewood crib and storage racks too. Adding insulation to the garage door has given me about a 30 degree differential between the outside and inside temperatures so I can work on projects in the winter and be quite comfortable in the garage.

Many of my neighbors lack a garage or even a carport. I feel sorry for them when it snows, luckily that is only a half dozen times a year. I can't imagine leaving my cars out exposed to the elements year round. I would kill to have a basement like the ones I saw as a kid living on the east coast.

Reactions: GON
I live in a decent suburban neighborhood in the midwest, median home price around me is about 350k. Most of the houses near me have 3 car garages. I counted this morning and fully 50% of my closest neighbors have all of their cars sitting out covered with snow and ice because they have too much junk to get their cars in.

My wife and I are determined our cars will be in the garage and they are. I can't imagine living here and going outside to scrape and sweep like I was living in an apartment complex. Is this a regional thing or is all of America buried in junk?
I had a two-car garage in Houston and as you note, we had none of the cars inside due to the number of things (refrigerator, freezer, rolling tool chests, etc.) stored in it. The climate in Houston consists of mostly rain, but with the occasional hurricane and thus it was not really a big deal to leave them outside and most people in the Houston area do exactly that.

However, when we moved to Colorado, I knew that I would need to keep the cars inside due to the hail storms and ice/snow that happens here. I planned accordingly and bought a house with a 3-car garage. The 3rd space has a long cabinet built-in on the far wall (previous owners) that precludes parking a car in that space, but since we are now down to 2 cars, I am ok leaving it there (at least for now).

I have plenty of shelving in the garage to hold everything and it is deep enough to store the chest freezer, my tools chests and the like without interfering with parking. Like yourself, there is no way that I am going to into the scraping business, nor do I want to take a chance on slipping getting into the car. The other thought is when it was 3°F outside recently, it was 38°F in the garage and this helps with cold starts and faster warm-ups.

I used to feel stuff was needed to preserve memories and soon realized it doesn’t take long for stuff to not be needed for the memory when it’s gone.

My dad’s Cuda was the biggest lesson, as I could not afford it when it came time for him to move on (1st owner and a car I grew up in). No one else in the family could either, so I saw it trailered off like any other car to some strangers house somewhere in Chicagoland and was sick over it. Now, I could care less, and I’m glad it’s not taking up space in the garage or requiring me to pay for winter storage.

Everyone is different, though.

I use the space above the garage for storage, I can park 2 cars in the garage as intended. ;)

We have a two car garage . For a number of years it was full of lawn equipment , workbench , etc. The flood of 2016 took care of all of that . Nothing better to help you downscale than 4 feet of water . Now , my wife parks her car in the garage and my lawn eqpt and workbench are on the other side . I tried parking two vehicles in the garage and it was just too tight and required too much effort to pull it off every time so the truck stays on the driveway . Big improvement over the previous scenario and the wife is content .

When we designed and built our NC home in 2003, I wanted a three car garage. But with our modified Southern Living magazine house plan, it just wouldn't work on our building lot. So I settled for a two and half car garage that gives me plenty of room for OPE, tools and a small workshop area. With salty air prevalent along the coast, I always have two vehicles in the garage while the Ridgeline does pretty well staying waxed and being parked outside. We've only had snow a handful of times in 18 years.

Last edited:
Part of this is just personal preference as well. It isn't wrong to park outside if you prefer to do something else with your garage. A lot of these posts are pretty judgmental on a topic strictly based around your opinion. Heck I've seen people in the neighborhood next to ours that converted their garage into a sports TV/bar. And our winters are coldddd.
I’m in agreement with this statement.

There is a great George Carlin bit about this topic. It goes like, “Why is it that other people’s stuff is s**t and all your s**t is stuff?”

I have a three car garage, with enough height to install a lift if I wanted (I haven't). I park two cars in it, the other space I use for the lawnmower, snow blower, mountain bikes, trash barrels, compressor, leaf blower, etc.

The garage is pretty loaded with stuff though...my tools, a fridge, work bench, some shelving (which is storing way too much junk). The inside access from house is pretty cool and convenient...it has one entrance right into a hall that leads to the kitchen (few steps going up) and another entrance into the basement (couple steps going down).

I definitely prefer parking in the garage, prevents the cold starts and keeps me from having to scrape ice and snow off the windows!

I live in a more rural area and it seems to depend on whether someone has a garden shed for yard equipment or not. If not, then all that stuff is usually in the garage. Sometimes if it's a two bay garage one will have a car and the other has the mower/tools while the second car sits outside.

Garages are never large enough

This! And even with a shed the garage is still not big enough. Add a riding mower, another smaller mower to get the spots where the riding mower can't fit, a generator, a snow blower, a seed spreader, a wheel barrow (or lawn cart), various hand tools (shovels, rakes, etc.) and lawn supplies and that all by itself fills up the shed. You practically need an extra spot on the garage for all your car stuff. Now add in some woodworking tools (especially a table saw) and your 3 car garage already isn't big enough.

We'll be parking at least the Nissan in the garage when we move. I just don't like the idea of putting a DD dripping salt water on the garage slab all winter.

Right now I'm afraid to park anything other than the Jeep in the garage because it's about to colapse. It's big enough, that's for sure.

I need to invoke some garage discipline at my place. It's got a very generously sized 2 car garage but the clutter makes it only big enough for one mini van and its associated children equipment.

I love my garage. 2 car but room for 1.

20220109_110257.jpg

Back