Americans and their garages.....

I have too much stuff that I need to donate. But the 2 car garage has cars, a motorcycle, lots of bikes (7), hand scooters, skateboards, a freezer and 2 Mac tool boxes and two tool carts. It’s a tight fit…but it works.

I wish my current house had a double garage. Wife parks in the single garage and I park in the driveway. It's a pretty big house but the driveway only holds about 4 cars and I'm on a busy street without any off street parking. Since I don't like hosting big get togethers, the parking situation is a perfect excuse not to.

My house has a 3+ car garage. most of the neighbors have either 2 or 3 car garages. Some leave 1 vehicle outside, but most garages are usable, with 2 cars in and one stall for "stuff". Mine has our 17 Nissan Frontier crew cab, (our daily driver), and the 65 and 98 Mustangs, that are only used in the nice weather months. There is actually room for a 4th car, as the one end is 2 cars deep, but the deep part is used for my shop. We also have a full basement, and although it is mostly finished, there is a good sized storage area. AND, I also have 2 8x12 storage sheds. Those are crammed.

The house that I own that my daughter now lives in houses two of my cars. When I still lived there and was married, both my ex-wife and I parked in the garage. I have shelves and a work bench around the walls but there is still room for two cars. I always made sure of that.

I would say there are quite a few people in that neighborhood that do park outside and has their garages packed full of stuff.

My family is banned from storing anything but car and what fits on shelf in garage. We have two steps thankfully down to a basement with concrete floor where most garage items go etc go.

Unfortunately another phenomenon is happening in America. Lot's of parents of middle aged folks are passing away and the houses of those folks are getting cleaned out and shut down by their kids. Guess where all those the sentimental treasures, belongings and family history of items ends up?

Also this same thing is happening to people's cars. I have seen many SUVs, Crossovers, and sedans that have trunk, and luggage areas packed full of stuff. I often wonder what any of these people would do if they got a flat and had to get to their spare tire. They would be unloading all the crap out on the highway, parking lot, or place where the breakdown happened.

I know one customer who makes a habit of frequenting garage sales.....I think everything she has bought in the last year is still in her car. She has a 5 passenger late model crossover and only the front seats are usable.

Unfortunately another phenomenon is happening in America. Lot's of parents of middle aged folks are passing away and the houses of those folks are getting cleaned out and shut down by their kids. Guess where all those the sentimental treasures, belongings and family history of items ends up?
My dad tuned pianos for a living and I was talking to a friend of his that used to move pianos and he said that most often when they get a call to move a piano these days, its going to the dump. Same for dining room tables, hutches and similar large furniture items. The things the younger generation values are most often online or they value experiences and entertainment over things of home and comfort.

I have two separate two car garages and it's not me it's her who filled it up with junk. She sees space and cash and she'll spend to fill it up. I've tried to throw crap away but she just staets screaming. She has a massive closet and started to put her crap into my small one and I told her to quit it and I took it out and we'll you know how that went.

We have a 2-car garage but only room for one car at the moment. We at least have shelving that is taking up the extra space. We WILL get a backyard shed someday (the plastic ones are fine for us and much more affordable .... but NOT available to even order or in stock when I was checking all last year). The day we park two cars in the garage, I swear, I will cry !!

I have a two car garage with room for two cars, but in the winter I hate dealing with all the melted ice/snow making a huge mess so we park outside.
This, exactly. I hate parking in the garage after driving and having all that snow and slush drip on the floor. Come Springtime it will be all dry and there will be "salt dunes" all over the floor. Dirty, gritty, dusty salt. Sweep it up and soon you'll be tasting it on your lips because it hangs in the atmosphere.

I have a 2-car garage and it contains my two good cars, cars that never see snow. I have two beaters that can sit outside. And if those two drip salt in the driveway, I don't mind. The rain washes it away.

The punishment for having a storage-wars packed-to-the-gills garage should be forcing the owner to ram their car in until it fits.

Part of this is just personal preference as well. It isn't wrong to park outside if you prefer to do something else with your garage. A lot of these posts are pretty judgmental on a topic strictly based around your opinion. Heck I've seen people in the neighborhood next to ours that converted their garage into a sports TV/bar. And our winters are coldddd.

That being said I will NEVER park outside again if I can help it. No more freezing cold seats or iced windshields for me.

I live in a decent suburban neighborhood in the midwest, median home price around me is about 350k. Most of the houses near me have 3 car garages. I counted this morning and fully 50% of my closest neighbors have all of their cars sitting out covered with snow and ice because they have too much junk to get their cars in.

My wife and I are determined our cars will be in the garage and they are. I can't imagine living here and going outside to scrape and sweep like I was living in an apartment complex. Is this a regional thing or is all of America buried in junk?
Slab-on-grade construction?

I have a 3-car garage and my barn out back (the main area is 15 feet x 20 feet). The barn has all the lawn equipment. The Malibu and Trans Am park inside. The truck is too big to fit in any of them. The Caprice and the Trans Am can squeeze in together but I rarely do that. The kids truck parks outside.
Now my 40 feet x 30 feet Metal building is supposed to be here Jan 18th. The travel trailer, boat and both trucks will park inside of that.

I have a standard 2-car attached garage. In years past I have had both a Chrysler Concorde and Buick Century inside along with a lawn tractor-snowblower and push mower. Yes, it was tight but I always made it work. The driveway-parking area is not paved so inside is really a must. I'd rather have rusting cars than possible broken bones. Have only the Buick now and I put it outside only when elderly friends come to visit during the winter so they can enter-exit without having to walk on snow-ice.

The only vehicles sitting outside at my place are the ones owned by people who's name(s) are not on the mortgage book.

2 car attatched
2 car detached.

Neither filled with "junk"

Attached garage is a wood shop- her shop
Detached is toy parking and - my shop

Cars stay outside on the driveway.

We both made the decision the cars stay outside.

Back